Pitch and Nasal, Codyknight22 {But for Grandpa}

Rate this topic

Codyknight22

This is my first post in this area, but I knew that my next post would be this. I did Over You by Miranda Lambert, but right now this song has special meaning. Yesterday {December 6th} my Grandpa passed away. He was 82 years old, and he was retired for a total of 1 year. He was born in San Antonio Texas, and he was 1 of 5 kids, and 1 of the few that survived. As a kid, his mother died in child birth so he had to help around the house. He worked with the immigrant workers for most of his childhood, but he proceeded to grow 3 Mental Health organizations from the ground up. Grandpa retired from Spanish Peeks {Pueblo Colorado} last year and he won the life time achievement award as well. A unanimous vote. My grandpa has probably been one of the most amazing role models in my life, in my dads life, in my families life. He worked so hard for a better life for his kids and his grand kids, and he achieved it. Now he's gone. I wish I had him back, but now I'm giving a tribute to him, as week as it seems. I just don't know what else to do. Please give me some feedback on my pitch and nasaly qualities and I'll start from there in this section {or if there's something more glaring tip me there as well}.

Here's the video:

@Vocalist Dad

Thanks for that compliment Vocalist Dad. You have no idea how incredible he was. But now he's with Grandma...

But as for the vocalist part of this {you know, like this websites for}, It's pretty easy to figure out. The most successful artists are emotional. It took my Grandpa's death for me to finally get it, and what I'm supposed to do to convey that. This song has one line {your favorite records make me feel better} that holds a lot of meaning to me. My Grandpa took interest in football this last year, since for the first time he wasn't working all the time. He rooted for the Denver Bronco's, and after Tim Teebow threw that pass to Demarius Thomas {if you follow football you'll know what I mean}, we called him up and he started singing "Red Solo Cup." {We taught him that}. I cry when I heard that song today. Not exactly something you want to cry to infront of your friends...

But that line holds that much meaning to me. In that line I hear Red Solo Cup.

Can someone give me some feedback please? I don't want to sound arrogant or impatient (although I probably do about 99% of the time), but I haven't gotten a techincal reply yet, and that's why I posted this. I don't know if this is me being dumb (again probably true about 99% of the time) but is no one wanting to give me technical stuff? Am I perfect? (please that last ones a joke no one take that seriously) Please leave me something, I want to learn.

Can someone give me some feedback please? I don't want to sound arrogant or impatient (although I probably do about 99% of the time), but I haven't gotten a techincal reply yet, and that's why I posted this. I don't know if this is me being dumb (again probably true about 99% of the time) but is no one wanting to give me technical stuff? Am I perfect? (please that last ones a joke no one take that seriously) Please leave me something, I want to learn.

I'll give you some advice.

I know you have worked on support some but you might not be doing it correctly. It is either that or that you have worked the right way and just not nearly enough. It looks like all of your notes start with a push or change in your throat and that they are never supported at all. Also, you are so constricted and closed in your throat that your tone really suffers. You need to have a raised soft palate or at least a relaxed one but yours seems to be in a lowered position. The problem is that it is near impossible to keep an open throat feeling without supporting correctly because you have been artificially controlling the air, probably in your mind, with a very closed throat. What is really happening is that your larynx is doing two main things and you want it to be doing one. If the larynx has to control the amount of airflow, you will struggle on the other parts, which are pitch quality and tonal problems as well many others.

Let me ask you a few things....

What do you think support is? Please be specific.

What have you specifically done in training to do this? Please give some videos or literature you have read.

Usually, just singing a lot well help people with many things but I think you really need some building blocks more than anything and that starts with support.

What have you specifically done in training to do this? Please give some videos are literature you have read.

Usually, just singing a lot well help people with many things but I think you really need some building blocks more than anything and that starts with support.

@ codyknight22

What ConsumingFire has said in the quote above isn't too far off from what I have been telling you. A bit less posting songs and a bit more study and exercises. Get hold of a book, learn some exercises and practice them.

I mentioned to get out of the Critique my song section and to instead visit the techniques section but that didn't mean to come and post another song. Personally I think that after reading through this section and finding out (thru a search) about support, exercises, scales etc and getting hold of a book with a cd then you should post recordings of "your exercises." Let that be critiqued and corrected. As ConsumingFire said...building blocks. That comes first. Sing while you are learning, of course and sing allot. Most definitely. But build that foundation before posting songs.

The songs will be better once the fundamentals are strengthened and corrected.

Good luck :)

Thanks to Tommy and ConsumingFire. First of all sorry I kind of got really angry there. I'm on phase anger of grieving, and I lost it. Also thanks for saying that (again) I need to do more excersizes, and I'm going to, just I feel like I had to do this. It was an obligation to me. I'm going to keep looking and hope I find excersizes with instant successes (joke). But as my Grandp said, "patience is a good thing mijo," and I'm beginning to feel as if I'm wearing out your guys's patience. So untill I get onto an exercise,

Codyknight22

But as my Grandp said, "patience is a good thing mijo,"

This is true. And it has been said before although not in the same words. So he spoke to you from experience because he was probably an impatient kid at one time just as I was and all of us were. And if you remember I already said as much to you in your introduction thread in the "Introductions Section".

Remember this? And see your reply? It says "that didn't help me much" :D

This came after a post about gaining experience and I told you it will come but it takes time.

Once again. You'll be fine. Someday you will be the one giving advice. Just work at it. Remember that when some of us here were growing up we had no computers or internet. But people learned to sing just fine. Why? because we have always had brains ;) (and books)

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like I haven't posted in a while so I'm doing it for the lols. No I'm kidding. First of all happy new year the world didn't end. Also I have found exercises that have helped, not vastly improved but they help. Also The main reason for this post is that I like to rap. I don't like most of the rap genre's stuf (excluding several youtubers that have salvaged an idea of rap that doesn't just involve a series of curse words and it can be humoris or even baladic). But my question is proceed of don't proceed. And I proceed, post or don't post. I realize that many will scoff at this, but rap has helped in a couple of ways (breath control and breath distribution). But a nagging thought is do you (whoever may be reading this) think that I really have some sort of potential? Or am I bad? Like really bad. When givin time to think a hormonal teenager is a time bomb is this is my explosive concoction this time. A thought of mine has been "are they trying to be nice? Am I really unsalvagable and they're trying to avoid the answer?" Well the time has come where I have to ask. Do I really need to proceed, or should I stop. And if you tho k I'll be too upset if you tell me the brutal truth, just know that as a middle class kid, I've been through about as much crap as possible. Between surgery, my Dad's heart attack, my Uncle's heart attack, my Grandfather passing away, being told I can't sing is the least of my worry's. Brutal honesty in reply to this, please. If I've angered anyone because I'm sort of challenging some of the integrity of you, I apologize, but I have to know.

Codyknight22

Rap is actually singing. In opera, it would be called recitative. Words "spoken" over melody or instrumentation. However, if you watch really good rappers, like Ice Cube, he is using breath support and resonance. And doing so in rhythm, just like any singer. Just because the vocal line might stay within an octave or so, does not mean that it does not involve control. So, you will still need to do the same exercises that you do for singing. Some of these guys can utter long phrases that are just demanding, if not more, than a held note. A held note can be on one vowel at one pitch and be done with it. Phrases would have articulation and meaning.

So, you still have to do the same thing, whether "rapping" or "singing". They are the same.

I had no idea that rap was considered singing. I always assumed that most people looked at it as talking. Huh. Thanks again Ron.

It's all part of the illusion of making it seem as easy as talking. With one exception. My favorite rapper was Tone Loc, who really did talk more than sing. But man, he had a beat and a rhythm. He has since gone on to do voices for cartoons and family shows. And, of course, acting, such as he did in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective." He's the detective that Jim Carrey relies upon.

Not bad for a guy that started out dealing drugs on the street. Of all the rappers claiming a life from the streets, he was the real deal.