girly headvoice?

Rate this topic

HalcyonAugust2

I've always wondered

although I've worked my headvoice a lot

it still sounds girly and is still nowhere near being chest sounding

So guys I was wondering

will the headvoice if continually used and practiced ever be as strong as chest voice?

or will it forever sound girly and wimpy and meatless compared to chest?

Post a clip, but probably you are using neutral (or on the best case maybe it is metal-like neutral, that is a twangy head voice, both cases are non-metallic sounds). You have to learn to use metallic modes up there, that is the solution, at least on CVT terms :P

A well used metal-like neutral can sound chesty too, but not too much!, or not too high, the thing is, the more metal in the sound, the later you bridge, so you can set your bridge very low if you want, around A3, or very high, around C5, and even higher you can still sound chesty :)

I never quite understood what is meant by "metal" in CVT terms. Can anyone explain what this means.

Is this Twang or something else?

So guys I was wondering

will the headvoice if continually used and practiced ever be as strong as chest voice?

or will it forever sound girly and wimpy and meatless compared to chest?

The answer is that you don't have to settle for a girlish head voice. You can create a single voice that sounds like one continuous chest voice. But you have to practice the right stuff. It's easier said than done, but it can be done and anyone can develop it.

The answer is that you don't have to settle for a girlish head voice. You can create a single voice that sounds like one continuous chest voice. But you have to practice the right stuff. It's easier said than done, but it can be done and anyone can develop it.

hey geno I guess you Can Say I've got the right Stuff I have pillars and we all know That's the stuff

been practicing contract and release onsets

they've been very helpful

but what I mean by "girly" is it's small and not loud enough compared to my Chest voice so my question IS If We practice Our head voice like Crazy will It ever be like chest aesthetically speaking?

but what I mean by "girly" is it's small and not loud enough compared to my Chest voice so my question IS If We practice Our head voice like Crazy will It ever be like chest aesthetically speaking?

Some people say that way worked for them. It didn't for me. The way people finding the right coordinations seems to be a very individual thing.

"Metal" is basically equivalent to the thing others call "chestiness" or "meat" that is missing from many people's higher tones.

So when I ask how to get more meat into my higher register, My answer is usually add more metal to the voice.

Metal = meat. Still not an answer to the original question. Just changing the name to something else.

Just an observation.

[but what I mean by "girly" is it's small and not loud enough compared to my Chest voice so my question IS If We practice Our head voice like Crazy will It ever be like chest aesthetically speaking?

It does take a long time, but it can be done. The essential ingredient is to maintain the depth of vibration of the folds while going high. If you suddenly shallow the depth of vibration you start to sound girly. The deeper fold vibration in chest is responsible for more complex vibration which produces that more metalic sound. There are a few ways to acheive this like keeping TA activity up, adding twang, etc. Here's an example of me singing chest up to A4 then, with the same fold depth vibration sirening up to E5 and then back down: https://www.box.com/s/swp720j7j880h4fyb6kz

The term "metal" within CVT relates to the "open quotient" and the "skewing quotient" (Qo ; Qs) of the glottal airflow. Qo refers to how long the vocal folds are open during one cycle. Qs refers to how fast they are closing. A low Qo and a high Qs both creates more energy in the upper harmonics (a more shallow glottal source spectrum) and the sound becomes more "brassy" or "metal" sounding.

In laymans terms how would one slow down or speed up the closing or opening of the vocal folds? I know, it can't be put in laymans terms. By Brassy do you mean sounding like Fran Dresher in The NANNY?

Frustrating trying to put things in written words when it has to do with sounds.

Geno great clip! man i wish sometimes(all the time) people posted alot more clips! great to step up :)

Be careful what you wish for :P I was hungover as hell this morning and tried to explain my Jorn Lande inspired "rock voice" for Raphaels thread, but was too brain dead to actually explain anything(I just got a new phone so I've been recording all kinds of shit with it)

I'll try to record a better video in couple of days (when I can string two sentences together,) but at least this has some non-girly "head tones" in it :D

Clicked on the play icon and it said "this video is private."

I guess, I will have to wait for the written description of it.

Ah shee....I don't know what I'm doing :D I went on youtube and changed setting so it should work now.

.....and really, this is a crap video with couple high notes. After watching it, I feel like a could be an extra on Walking Dead. I turned 41 yesterday and tried to prove that I can still hang with the best of 'em...........

......but I can't! :P

That was awesome, Analog.

I remember 41. That was a little while ago. i think friends took me out to Golden Corral, which was fine with me. There is something about walking into a buffet and seeing the equivalent of "knock yourself out, we'll make more" that is so right. Bless the guy that invented buffets.

I think I even smoked a big, fat cigar (only on birthdays. And just for taste, you don't actually inhale a cigar.)

Ah, the recklessness of youth.

:D

So when I ask how to get more meat into my higher register, My answer is usually add more metal to the voice.

Metal = meat. Still not an answer to the original question. Just changing the name to something else.

Just an observation.

True, I was just giving the definition. To actually achieve it you need to follow the basic principles (support etc) and make sure you stay with the right vowels and volume for the character (mode) you want. In my opinion singing high in metallic models has no resemblance to either "falsetto" or "pure head voice". Feels more like pulling chest (but without the straining).

Analog, that sounded great! The anti-smile thing is another trick I've been wondering about for a while... a little pout/sneer helps me a lot, but I'm always hesitant to make little "tricks" like this part of my daily training in case they're like cheap shortcuts to something I should be achieving with breathing or whatever else.

These last few threads are making me rethink my hesitance though... I like Dan's mantra that one should "practice like you sing" and the consensus on a lot of this stuff seems to be that if it doesn't hurt or sound shitty, it's all gravy. If a little anti-smile is "correct" enough for you, it's more than correct enough for me.

I find that working on support, resonance and twang are key to getting a big and boomy, chesty like head voice

i totally agree gina!

folks, check out this highly imaginative and entertaining video from mark baxter which really helps you see that there are truly endless possibilities between your pure chest voice and your head voice.

one voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!