girly headvoice?

Rate this topic

HalcyonAugust2

Analog, that sounded great! The anti-smile thing is another trick I've been wondering about for a while... a little pout/sneer helps me a lot,

Just great, Raphael. Now, I have a mental image of Billy Idol ... how can I get that out of my head?

Thank you for the birthday wishes and senior "condolences" :D It's all a state of mind right?

Analog, that sounded great! The anti-smile thing is another trick I've been wondering about for a while... a little pout/sneer helps me a lot, but I'm always hesitant to make little "tricks" like this part of my daily training in case they're like cheap shortcuts to something I should be achieving with breathing or whatever else.

These last few threads are making me rethink my hesitance though... I like Dan's mantra that one should "practice like you sing" and the consensus on a lot of this stuff seems to be that if it doesn't hurt or sound shitty, it's all gravy. If a little anti-smile is "correct" enough for you, it's more than correct enough for me.

Raphaels,

My initial thoughts on this were it's simply a matter of vocal tract manipulation to encourage a darker more covered sound(as opposed to a belt-ier smile config,) but after watching shedloads of YT videos and experimenting my butt off, I really think the sneer/scowl/frown/anti-smile is like a "primal attractor" for this vocal set-up(at least for me.)

I mean, it's hard to be all aggressive and shee with a big-ass clown smile on your face. Get your damn scowl on damnit :mad:

Seriously though(bring it on down now, bring it on down) these are advanced manipulations that are not gonna solve fundamental problems, so all the other important points of technique need to be hammered down. But I would say as long as it works, use it! I mean, why else are we training/experimenting/whateverthehellitiswearedoinghere if not to expand our vocal palette?

One thing I learned - when making videos with your phone - turn it sideways.

Thanks Geno. I'll be sure to turn it from now on. I just wish I could get rid of that slightly fisheye lens distortion though. The sound is solid IMO and it's great to be able to upload straight to YT.

olks, check out this highly imaginative and entertaining video from mark baxter which really helps you see that there are truly endless possibilities between your pure chest voice and your head voice.

Bob, I couldn't agree more. I think this is why vocal technique can be very very very confusing. I mean, when you learn any other instrument, it doesn't have the ability to "morph" into another instrument(like a trumpet to a baritone.) Think about all the damn variables that can change in the voice: varying fold mass/varying degrees of fold closure/ air pressure/ larynx height/twang in varying levels/false chord approximation/ various tongue positions/ nasal port/ jaw depth/mouth width/various constrictors that can affect tone/whatever else I've missed.

Now, start to multiply all of those variables and you can see how it gets complicated VERY QUICK. Or at least it shows you how many possibilities are out there and when you consider how many minor muscle movements are involved it can become overwhelming(at least to my brain) very very very very fast.

Anyways, COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC(I apologize,) watching the Sandy relief concert right now and I think Mick is in better shape now than in the seventies. Da-yumn. What an INSANE lineup.

one voice!!!!

(and a shitload of practice and experimentation and courage......lol)

i'm trying to learn that four tops song "i'll be there."....there was a time i was vocally (and physically) incapable of singing that song. i lacked so much to be able to drive my head voice like that....to sing that intensely.

folks, it was out of the question...it's now possible because i set my goal to work hard to get up to that level of capability.

but you see if you work up to be able to sing songs like this, you are (at the same time) increasing the likelihood you'll sing other songs from other artists.

but you have work at it....scales, support work, exercises, all of that stuff......lol!!!

one voice!!!!

(and a shitload of practice and experimentation and courage......lol)

Another one of those moments where the clouds part, the sun shines, and the angels sing "Amen!"

Get your damn scowl on damnit

Now, I've got an image of Axl Rose. Thanks .... all that did was clear out the image of Billy Idol.

brother ron, how's this one.....

don't mentally or physically compartmentalize your voice....one voice!!!!

Me likee a lot. I've really gotten away from worrying about percentages of chest voice or head voice. To the point now, when someone starts talking chest this, head voice that, it's starting to sound like the grown-ups in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

Which is not to say that there is no passaggio to deal with. But, like a few people have said, worry about the middle, take care of the passaggio, the meaty middle. The ends will take care of themselves.

I guess it depends on one's perspective and where one needs to work. But I find the one voice outlook helps guide me in what I am doing. Let the breath support and resonance adjust. As long as the result is one voice.

Which is simplistic, probably mysterious. And I stink at explaining singing, even as an amateur, or especially as an amateur.

I never had a problem with the low range, I thought. Or the high range, I thought. But working the middle to achieve one voice has made the opposite ends better. At least it feels better, to me.

And yes, it does take time, one of your main points in talking about singing. I just never think to count the minutes or hours. At my age, years fly by. This one has gone in a flash.

So, now I understand intuitively better what you made about the statement of "somewhere around 40,000 repetitions." It's not that you need to count to 40,000. And if you do, you are concentrating on the wrong thing. How long does it take to improve something? However long it takes. Usually not overnight.

"One voice, one vision. Just give me fried chicken." (liberally borrowed and butchered from Freddie.)