First Song! The Sound of Muzak - Porcupine Tree - Cover by Mivke

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey everybody!

Some of you may recognize me as a lurker here, it's time for me to post my first song. I'm singing all the vocals aswell as playing all the guitars. The bass and drums are midi.

This is a work in progress, meaning your critique and input is greatly appreciated. Give it to me however you wish, technique or just likeability, all is welcome :)

I thought your voice sounded good on this (guitar also) although a little weak maybe. However I am unfamiliar with this song so had to look for it to compare. Somehow I felt borderline as to if it should have just a tiny bit more solidity to the vocals. Maybe a little more support because it is so soft and low of a song? Not sure. But overall I thought it sounded good. It seems a difficult song only because it is such a monotone and dull melody. Not really a "singing" song with ups and downs and in and outs, highs and lows. :)

Thanks for listening :)

@tommy: Yeah, its been harder than I thought to find the balance between too strong and too relaxed/mellow.maybe I lost some intensity in trying to keep it soft rather than just pushing back on the volume. But as you said its not a very singy song, I just wanted to open with something I can control. You will hear me do some in and outs in the future :)

@felipe Yeah, I hear what you say. I think I will give it some time though, kinda need to not hear this song for a short while so can get back the feel for it,its been studied quite intensely lately and I've gotten a bit blind I think :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, here is my final version of the song. I updated the vocals and the "main guitar".

For those of you who listened to the first version, I would much appreciate a listen to this version and know what you thought of the difference. For those who have heard neither, well listen and critique in whatever way you like :)

Cheers!

@Felipe Thanks man! Regarding the takes, I have no idea how many times I've sung the song :P However, all the vocals are one-takes. Then of course that sums up to some takes since during the chorus there is 4 vocal tracks.

@Tommy Thanks for taking the time to listen, really appreciate it. Hopefully soon there will be another song around here from me.