The Last In Line

Rate this topic

Hi, here is me singing the last in line by Dio, I condensed it a lot because I didn't have time to do the whole thing. This is a song I find incredibly hard to sing, I just can't make it sound good throughout. So anyway, there is massive room for improvement here and also it's not a good song to show off my voice really, I just like it so much I wanted to try it.

https://soundcloud.com/maxswinton/the-last-in-line-1

All comments and crticism welcome and appreciated, thanks for listening.

Max

DAMN dude, you have guts. I aspire to Dio, of course, and I like singing his stuff, but I cannot sing that high. This was an awesome cover, you did well on the ease part, and that gritty sound you get it pretty impressive!

The phrasing is a bit rushed at some parts though, still an awesome cover.

Thanks very much, yeah Dio is my favorite singer but I can't match the fullness of his voice. Yeah the phrasing is rushed in places definitely. Thanks, the gritty sound is something I'm working on, wasn't working well today, kept slipping out of it which was annoying. I think when I over think what I'm doing I stop being able to do it.

Here's a cover of rainbow in the dark I did a while back, much better Dio style vocals I think.

Thanks very much for the comment.

I like Dio, too.

Who cares if you sound just like him, or not?

Quit comparing yourself to him and his "fullness." Stop it. Now.

No, really, seriously, any other points or jokes aside, stop comparing yourself to him. Right now.

I know others don't like hearing it, so here's me being blunt and honest. You cannot ever sound exactly like another singer, except for the roll of the dice that is genetics. So, don't try. Go ahead and incorporate whatever elements of "power and emotion" that you can,and that's fine.

Be glad that you can sing like you do.

Let me do you a disservice and say "good job." Because it was a good job and I liked what you did with the phrasing. You gave it your own emotion.

I have absolutely no idea how to tell you how to sound like Dio, genetically different than you. I don't have the magic pill. All I can do is sentence you to live the rest of your life with the awesome voice that you do have.

I hoped that ticked you off. :D

I hope it ticked everyone off. :D

Is that blunt and honest enough for everyone?

Maybe I'm just upset because I couldn't find anything wrong with it and I am trying so hard to prove that I can be blunt and honest and not just hand out "good job" and do everyone a disservice. It's important that I find something criticize. I mean, you didn't put it up for applause or to show people how far you've come? Certainly, you posted it in order to get ripped to shreds. Right?

:lol:

Quick, someone post something horrible so that I can redeem myself.

:lol:

Sorry did not like it man, the intro is wavering too much, and when the dynamics rise, it is sounding good on home, but then you are breaking, and wavering too much in there too...

Need more attention to the intro to begin with, and try to keep your voice working exactly like you did the first scream, dont try to make it lighter. Although on some points you do remind of Dio with the distortion and the focus, its more important for now to deliver the song as a whole without problems and then add the details, those are of less importance.

I know its a freaking hard song, but well, its Dio... Its supposed to be hard and the eyes will be solely on your performance. Much more study is due in my opinon, head voice needs to be consolidated and powerfull.

Hi guys, thanks very much for the comments. Ron, I definitely dont want to sound like Dio, I just like his voice so much that when I sing one of his songs I end up doing an impression of him.

Felipe, thanks for the critique. I'm not sure what you mean about wavering in the opening part, but I do know what you mean about wavering for the rest of it. I don't have the ability to pull off this song yet, certainly not at the level DIo is doing it. I feel like I'm at a point where I have a relatively strong voice, but not strong enough for material like this, and I'd love some advice on how to proceed. the main thing for me is like I said, I'm trying to sound like DIo, which kills my own voice. again, thanks for the comments, hopefully get some more stuff up soon.

Max

Adon, that's true, but I think we should do our own thing now. Dios voice was built over years and years of singing. I want to one day have a voice that people want to imitate, and that means letting my own voice come through, even if it's not as good as those that inspired it. And yes, my vibrato is a bit unreliable, I don't consciously do it and it tends to be faster at the beginning of phrases.

Wow, really nice, Max. The first minute is very nice, a couple of pitchy spots but very nice and beautiful voice. The part i didn´t like so much is between 1:18-1.40 - that part sounds a little shouty and pushy to me. The long "home" after about 1 minute is Soooooooo beautful. Keep working on it and you will nail it in no time.

man your great! Sure it's not perfect, but perfect is booring.

i dont think your that faroff from dio's sound, heck give this a good mix :)

Edit: i also dont know why people tend to fanboy put dio on à piedestal, yeah he's great but ive never understood why some consider him the best Singer of all time? :p

Max wavering I mean the vowels, the resonance is shifting and breaks the homogeneity. Its hard to give a tip for this man, the only solution I know is legatto trainning... Try singing the intro with less mouth movement and more gently, less pressure, but keeping it forward and round. I think it will give you an idea of what I am saying.

GL do send more man, "home" sounded spot on, if thats comfortable to produce, remove the distortion and try bringing the rest of the song into that direction.