run to the hills

Rate this topic

Hi, here is my cover of run to the hills by iron maiden. I had a go at this one a while ago, but gave it up, but when I woke up this morning I really wanted to give it a go, so here it is.

https://www.box.com/s/cnv7yy55ru55q01cezu7

Comments and criticism welcome and appreciated.

Also, I know that GuitarGeorge has just posted his excellent version of this song, so I'd like to apologize for posting mine so soon after him, it's was entirely co-incidental.

Thanks for listening.

Max

The link is working now.

Where did you get the backing from? it's a bit thinner and slower than the version I did :)

Your voice is a lot cleaner than mine (just different - not better or worse), and your vibrato is better. I think you are going sharp in the chorus on 'hills'.

Good job :)

George

Thanks George, got there in the end. It's just a karaoke track off itunes. Yeah, there are definite pitchy parts in this, I'm bad at that, + I have a blocked left ear today which isn't helping much.

Thanks for the feedback.

Max

Since I cannot sing this song yet, I'll post my friend John Wests version. Chris Caffery from Savatage / TSO on guitar. FYI Max, I like you version better for many reasons, but I do not like the interpretation of the verse on either lol. Anyway, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xii7EV9IYM

I won't reiterate the others' points. Still a good effort on the cover, Max. Awesome tone in your voice.

And Keith, that was a good one, too. What held my attention was the drums. The double bass kicks are double-time to the toms. Amazing.

Thanks very much for the comments guys. Definitely got a lot of problem areas I need to work on, some hoarseness, over singing, too much distortion, pitch, etc. Thanks again for the comments, more stuff soon.

Max, I enjoyed this.Great job. I am Tony Rhodes and I am the guitarist that made Georges 2 Maiden backers.

And you are awesome, too.

I play guitar, as well but nothing like you can.

A few decades ago, I decided I was more of a singer than a guitar player because I can do things with my voice that others can't and it gave me more satisfaction than otherwise.

Of course, the jury is still out on whether I made a wise choice. :lol:

Ron

I am very much an amatuer too, I have only been taking singing seriously since September 2010.

Up to then I was serious about guitar - 30 years time served, including a short period in 1980's touring with a (not famous) pro Heavy Metal band (hair rock).

In late 2010 I was writing a song with a friend of mine, and he pursuaded me the demo vocals I had done were good enough to run with.

George

Here's why I am an amateur.

First, I have never been paid to sing. So, legally, I am an amateur.

I sing where I can get away with it and people don't run me off. As I have said before, that might be because I am tall, big, and scary-looking and they are waiting for me to go away, quietly, of my own according (not too unlike the Vogon, as written about by Douglas Adams (RIP)). :lol:

Truthfully, I have received applause and compliments when performing live for others. And from others to whom I have sent my sound files.

This forum is, by far, the "toughest room I have played." And it becomes addictive. To receive applause from fellow singers, the guys that give you no slack, whatsoever, caring about things that most of the public cannot hear. Even if they are sober. ;)

I have been singing unprofessionally for a long time. Though I did take a stab at the music industry. I was audition for bands in the 90's. A led zep style singer trying to join a band in the era of grunge ... how smart was that? :o

Mostly, the reason I could not make it with those bands was either not having the sound they wanted, or equipment they wanted. One band was totally lost in their own pot cloud, literally.

Now, I'm kinda old. Which won't stop me from releasing music when I get ready. But my hey-day has gone by. Unless we want to wear orthopedic shoes as a gimmick and get sponsorship from Geritol.

:lol::lol:

Being in the forum since May 2010 has made me pay more attention to what I do, though. I could get away with some stuff before with normal audiences. But the guys here task me and inspire to do better, whatever my "better" is. Even if it's only to find out what my limits truly are, what my definition of my voice turns out to be.