Kermit / Marvin the Martian voice... what is happening physically?

Rate this topic

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Kermit the Frog, right? What goes into singing/speaking like him (or like Miss Piggy, Marvin the Martian, etc)... I'm guessing a lowering of the larynx, but there must be more to it than that. I ask because if I feel like I'm pushing my voice, I can kind of go "halfway" to the Kermit voice and things get a lot easier. Maybe I'm introducing more twang when I do that or something? Or maybe it's just keeping my voice from being to far forward?

No its not the same as covering.

To cover you must keep it forward, those voices have a focal point up, almost backwards. Besides the exagerated posture.

But, its a reference to start from if it helps. Try replicating the internal feeling but instead of keeping your voice backwards, aiming it at the tip of your nose. Support.

Previous work on the focus of closed vowels is necessary before it can work though...

Cool cool, I was hoping you'd weigh in, Felipe. That's kinda what I mean by halfway to Kermit voice... like starting the phrase with that feeling in the mouth/throat but not actually letting it sound weird. Fun stuff, no doubt about it.

Kinda depends on your situation I guess... I'm def not a technical role model, but I have gigs every week, so if rubbing a little Kermit on a problem area helps, I do it. It's cool to come on here and get those feelings translated into tech-talk... helps me understand what's going on in other threads.

I do work with somebody but it's just a local gospel guy, he's not much for tech and anatomy. Probably not an ideal choice, but he's got a burning voice. His speaking voice is kind of Kermitty naturally, interestingly enough.

but I have gigs every week, so if rubbing a little Kermit on a problem area helps, I do it.

Nothing to add, I just love that phrase.

Then, it gave me a mental image I could have probably lived without, today.

:rolleyes: