How to sing using head voice without going into falsetto

Rate this topic

709zzy

Hi everyone, sorry to bother you guys.

For some songs, there are parts where

I personally would have gone into falsetto if I sing them.

Like this video from 1:20 to 1:22

People tell me that I could avoid falsetto by practicing sirens with the "ng" from

low range to high range back and forth or try to make a crying sound when going through

the high pitch. But when I tried to use the voice from these practices in a song, it sounds

like my chest voice broke into a wimpy squeal.

So am I suppose to just keep on practicing until the squeal turn into a stronger voice?

Is there a more systematic way of self learning how to use the head voice?

Thank you so much for your time.

Hold your breath, or at least hold it back when you go higher.. and sing forward (mask), like when kids go : NA NA NANA NA... or like Axl Rose, etc..

Falsetto is a incomplete connection of the vocal cords, which allows a lot of air to pass over...

Doing the NG sound is on the right path for that type of thing... same with the sirens..

Just bring it out of your chest.. you should feel the vibration in your nose / face area and not the chest..

Thanks for responding!!

So I tried to pronounce the word yes but only the "eah" part like the one in the word "yeah".

Then if I tried to shift the sound's location forward+upward a bit in my mouth it does feel like the location is near my nose. And the "eah" sound changes to a more annoying sound that make people want to hit you.

Is that the "na nana" you are talking about? I assume this is just the sound effect we make when we start up.

It's going to be more pleasant the more we train right? What should I do to train this "annoying" voice?

And when you say holding your breath, do you mean I should try to not release too much air while going higher?

get to doing exercises which strengthen the muscles that hold your vocal folds together and stretch them.

you want to build a mix of chest and head..don't compartmentalize the voice.

ng's are fine, mays are great, nuhs, are great (but the correct pronunciation of "nuh" is tough to communicate over the forum), "neeahts" anything which gets you to launch from your chest to your mix. you will need to work those exercises strongly with focus. apply a cry to those and focus.

go only as high as is possible...these exercises aren't designed for range...don't push...focus.

stay out of falsetto...do not worry how it sounds!......let it sound like crying.....you aren't singing, you're strengthening.

my suggestion: go on youtube and check out dave brooks' videos on this...they're very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what exactly happened, but after singing high in some of the songs, I can no longer do the siren practice like before. When I try to reach the higher notes, it feels like there's something stuck in my throat.

Did I break my voice? Is there a way to recover or is the damage permanent.....

I doubt that you "broke" your voice.

It sounds like you need a good vocal coach.

Someone that can guide you and shape your voice over time.

If you need a book about the technical scientific aspects of singing, try "The Voice Book" by Kate Devore.

Btw, what is your daily practice routine like?

If you don't have a workout or warmup routine, I'd recommend either

"The Contemporary: Elements of Vocal Technique" by Anne Peckham

(http://www.amazon.com/The-Contemporary-Singer-Elements-Technique/dp/0876391072/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356728500&sr=8-3&keywords=peckham+anne)

OR

"Vocal Warm-Ups" by Hal Leonard (http://www.amazon.com/Vocal-Warm-Ups-Pro-Series/dp/142344583X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356728462&sr=8-1&keywords=vocal+warm+ups+hal+leonard).

I use the vocal workout from the Anne Peckham book. (Mon-Wed-Fri, I do the high voice workout. Tue-Thur-Sat, I do the low voice workout. Sunday, I rest)