Not exactly singing

• TMV World Legacy Member

No singing. I'm just pleased as punch that I finally figured out how to play my electric guitar directly into the usb.

Actually, not quite directly. It's a Hondo copy of a Flying V. Jacked into my ancient Roland GS-6 digital effects unit. The back has line out jacks that are XLR. So, I'm using the mic cable and that jacks into the guitarface II usb interface, with the selector on "line."

Nothing special, just noodling around with one of the factory pre-set patches.

https://www.box.com/s/vqjf46yemg6uvq7ku7vv

On this one, I jacked the guitar directly into the usb, set on "instrument. I turned the pots all to "eleven." And it gives it kind of tube overdrive feel, which I was not expecting. So, that led to doing a song that was through tube amps that were overdriven.

And you might still call it "not singing" but there's singing on this one.

Sennheiser e835 about a foot away for vocals.

Coming soon, to an am radio station near you ....

I called it hth - test 1

https://www.box.com/s/to1dokt6oxuaxoyvx33q

Yeah, that first one, it just seemed a logical choice, though the patch was still muddy because I am still learning how to adjust levels. A little too much distortion, if you ask me.

Actually, this is more in the spirit of Tommy's build a song thread.

Only, for me, it's about learning to record and get better at that, as well as editing what is recorded.

Neither of these is ready for any level of perfection. Just me goofing around and having fun, to boot.

I missed the Highway to hell on my first look at this thread. Have you tried adding a little reverb to your voice or a little delay?

Sounds like you were having fun. :)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I missed the Highway to hell on my first look at this thread. Have you tried adding a little reverb to your voice or a little delay?

Sounds like you were having fun. :)

I thought about it but I do not know how Mutt Lange set the mix. He was the producer for the album "Highway To Hell." He had a special touch but it also helps to remember that the album was made using analog technology and techniques. This song, for example, was recorded, pretty much, "live" in studio, though the harmony vocals were added later. I do know that Lange used doubled tracks for vocals to give them more presence. But Bon's track was fairly simple in production, which puts it more to the "front" of the mix.

And yes, I was having fun. I always have fun with this song. It's the one song where I am not worried about trying to sound like a balladeer or an opera singer. It is my theme song. Everything is meant to be rough and loose, including the feeling. The road to Hell is wide and easy. Still, I think I have some timing issues and would like to re-try this with a click track, in addition to the chunking beat I get with the guitar.

The reverb suggestion may be part of my conditioning. Almost all of the songs I listen to have reverb on the voice.

I also have trouble with timing. I think my problem is waiting for cues from the guitar,Bass or Drums. Then I will get a late start on the singing. I also follow my own rhythm. I will change a songs beat to fit my "Style".

I believe that a song is an expression of the singer ( and band) and not something that stays the same every time someone else is singing it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Thanks, David. Normally I play the guitar and sing at the same time for this one. And that is how I am used to timing. Recording the guitar part first, then singing against it later, that's what throws me off. There was already compression on the track but I am needing to re-think my whole eq strategy. Either different settings or forget it, all together.