VIDEO HERE (Bob's) Magic Moments

Rate this topic

VideoHere

hi folks, i thought it might be fun to start a topic where we share video snippets of vocals that have mezmerized us. whatever you'd like to share...not the whole song, just a small section i.e., an ultra-high note, an incredible trill or run, a long note, a fabulous scream or growl .....something out of the ordinary, preferably live.....not a studio gimmick or enhancement....you get the idea.

i thought i'd start off with one live where power and intensity is combined with a littte wiggle that really moved me. it starts at 3:20 and ends at 3:39, when he stands on the monitor and sings the 2nd phrase "open up the door" that little wiggle at that power level for me was a "magic moment."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSa6t_QCXyg

i hope you will share your's as well.

That was great! Here's another video by Aerosmith that comes to mind, all of it really, although the last 20 seconds or so are nothing short of spectactular, He's pulling off A5s and A#5s on a regular basis, and doing it live!

My magic moment there is at 5:18. One of my favorite screaming moments of all time. Done live, topping the original recording in emotion and sustain of that note.

"his x wife passed away the day that he performed this" they say. I think I can hear that in his scream.

That was great! Here's another video by Aerosmith that comes to mind, all of it really, although the last 20 seconds or so are nothing short of spectactular, He's pulling off A5s and A#5s on a regular basis, and doing it live!

oh yeah, he's from my home town, yes! that's one bigtime....notes like this are (i.m.o.) 75% mental visualization imagery, 25% technique....he's just "in the moment" going for it with all he's got

here's another that get's me off:

magic happens at 2:52 to 3:05

what friggin' resonance!!!!

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvae5Lt0smI

Pain of Salvation live, this would be an extreme vocal workout to sing for me and he pulls it off with ease. The whole song is magical, but some moments: 05.15-05.40 doing some high pitched belted notes and 06.00 - ending where he goes from a really distorted screaming into a fine mixed voice.

And this:

Jorn Lande recording for Devil's Hall of Fame album. Last take at 1.20 until ending, and afterwards he says "not good enough" :P

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvae5Lt0smI

Pain of Salvation live, this would be an extreme vocal workout to sing for me and he pulls it off with ease. The whole song is magical, but some moments: 05.15-05.40 doing some high pitched belted notes and 06.00 - ending where he goes from a really distorted screaming into a fine mixed voice.

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvae5Lt0smI

Jorn Lande recording for Devil's Hall of Fame album. Last take at 1.20 until ending, and afterwards he says "not good enough" :P

marcus, thanks for participating!!! you turned me on to a singer i wasn't familiar with. nice stuff!

here's another one of my favorites...it's steve walsh (kansas) taken from his solo cd...he had that incredibly piercing tenor belt.

he totally sings his balls off, improvising, belting, swirling, totally in the moment!!!

vocally "correct" i doubt it...but it sounds so awesome to me.

6:35 to 7:46 (its a studio version..all i could find.)

VIDEO,

Hands down for me is Van Morrison singing Caravan in the movie The Last Waltz(The Band's farewell concert movie.)

Unfortunately, Van's pulled down ALL his old footage from youtube. I DID find a video...somebody singing to the song...but the sound quality is very poor and you have to fight through the video poster singing.

If you're brave enough to listen...my favorite part is starting at 2:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3m1TKBzvcw

Hey Video, wich of the singers was it that you hadn't heard? Gildenlöw or Lande?

That Walsh-guy got an awesome voice! I hadn't heard that song before!

Here's a video with Drew Sarich singing Gethsemane from Jesus Christ Superstar. Probably the best musical singer ever, he have so much rock in his voice :) 02.20-03.25 and 04.36-05.40 but make sure you watch the whole thing. I love singers who can pull things like this off live at show after show.

Bob - that Led Zeppelin clip of Since I've been loving you (one of their oh so many great songs) was great. Robert was in top shape that night. You'll notice that he usually doesn't sing the very highest notes live (I think there are a couple of G5s on the studio recording), but he still gets pretty high and he really delivers the song. Led Zeppelin was my favorite band for a long, long time. It still is one of my favorites, actually.

That Pain of Salvation vid blew my mind Marcus! What an amazing singer with a great stage set/band. That would have been a bloody amazing show!

I'm not really into musicals, but after seeing American Idol and becoming a fan of the prodigious Adam Lambert, I did some youtubing...

The whole performance is fantastic but the emotional place he takes it to is truly breath-taking! The first tenor high C is at roughly 3:05, and it just sets the stage for some incredibly free ad libbing. Obviously the song-writers deserve massive credit, but for me those super strong C5s in the context of the song just make my spine tingle!

VIDEO,

Hands down for me is Van Morrison singing Caravan in the movie The Last Waltz(The Band's farewell concert movie.)

Unfortunately, Van's pulled down ALL his old footage from youtube. I DID find a video...somebody singing to the song...but the sound quality is very poor and you have to fight through the video poster singing.

If you're brave enough to listen...my favorite part is starting at 2:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3m1TKBzvcw

hard to hear that one, sorry.

Hey Video, wich of the singers was it that you hadn't heard? Gildenlöw or Lande?

Here's a video with Drew Sarich singing Gethsemane from Jesus Christ Superstar. Probably the best musical singer ever, he have so much rock in his voice :) 02.20-03.25 and 04.36-05.40 but make sure you watch the whole thing. I love singers who can pull things like this off live at show after show.

Gildenlöw

wow, here's another guy i've never hear of...wow!!!! awesome vocalist.

my kind of singer. thank you.

Bob - that Led Zeppelin clip of Since I've been loving you (one of their oh so many great songs) was great. Robert was in top shape that night. You'll notice that he usually doesn't sing the very highest notes live (I think there are a couple of G5s on the studio recording), but he still gets pretty high and he really delivers the song. Led Zeppelin was my favorite band for a long, long time. It still is one of my favorites, actually.

i read that plant was often much lower live..what i like most about plant was the resonance and emotion.

That Pain of Salvation vid blew my mind Marcus! What an amazing singer with a great stage set/band. That would have been a bloody amazing show!

I'm not really into musicals, but after seeing American Idol and becoming a fan of the prodigious Adam Lambert, I did some youtubing...

The whole performance is fantastic but the emotional place he takes it to is truly breath-taking! The first tenor high C is at roughly 3:05, and it just sets the stage for some incredibly free ad libbing. Obviously the song-writers deserve massive credit, but for me those super strong C5s in the context of the song just make my spine tingle!

oh yeah, lambert is a magnficent singer...i totally agree, well trained and gifted but for me though a little too "sterile." not meant to be derrogatory, just a preference.

• 4 weeks later...

with johnny maestro's passing, i felt it was only right i post a magic moment from him. he was a true singer's singer....one of my all-time favorites. for you younger folks, his famous hit was "the worst that could happen."

he was the lead singer in a 50's group called the crests, and until his death he sang in the brooklyn bridge.

please listen to greatness from 3:20 to the end

Marcus, I suppose you had this video with Lande on mind (both links in your first post lead to the same Pain of Salvation song):

I also think it's great!

see what i mean, i don't even know who this guy is, but thanks to you, i do now. great sound!!

hi marcus..did you hear john farnham doing gethsemane i sent below?