VIDEO HERE (Bob's) Magic Moments

Rate this topic

VideoHere

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Barnes, the greatest rock singer ever. This whole concert was fantastic, but this song is absolutely amazing. If you find the record of the recording of this song, it doesn't have the chorus. I think it's the best part! My contribution of a magic moment :)

Jimmy Barnes, the greatest rock singer ever. This whole concert was fantastic, but this song is absolutely amazing. If you find the record of the recording of this song, it doesn't have the chorus. I think it's the best part! My contribution of a magic moment :)

thanks for your contribution. you see, here's a guy who is incredible and i (perhaps others) haven't even heard of him.

i (and others) get to expand our knowledge, awareness and appreciation of great artists. i love the duet he did with john farnham.

thanks again

bob

Here's one of mine:)

Richie kotzen, the song is called remember. The beginning is already awesome and the amazing is coming at 0:29. So much passion in his singing, just awesome!!

awesome vocal. i ordered a cd. a customer in my video store just listened to it and he said his voice sounds like a combination of michael bolton and chris cornell...nothing wrong about that

Wich one did you order? :D

Richie Kotzen is my God in everything, guitar, singing, composition.... I would give tons of money to someone that can help me reach that kind of tone...

I also have to say that he's 40 years old , started to sing at 14, and play music since he's 5.....

If some guys want to listen to some guitar played by me, i've just created my youtube channel and just post my first video, it's not singing, but this way you can see more what i do for a living. Could be great if you write some comments or a simple "hello" ;)

here's the link:

Wich one did you order? :D

Richie Kotzen is my God in everything, guitar, singing, composition.... I would give tons of money to someone that can help me reach that kind of tone...

I also have to say that he's 40 years old , started to sing at 14, and play music since he's 5.....

If some guys want to listen to some guitar played by me, i've just created my youtube channel and just post my first video, it's not singing, but this way you can see more what i do for a living. Could be great if you write some comments or a simple "hello" ;)

here's the link:

cd..."something to say"

you sounded great man, it looked effortless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6i7MDMlpw

here's another magic moment at 1:55 and again at 2:18

i love and respect the fact that he's hittiing that high c powerfully live on national tv where he could have taken a safer road..... then powerhouses through the rest live and certainly vulnerable...man that's a performer.

For the record, I don't care much for church music but I like good singers and I stumbled upon this guy, David Phelps, and I'd just like to say watch out for the ending because this is how you can take a simple song and just move the earth with it:

Great one Jonpall...David is a beast!

Check this one out. Crappy recording but brilliant for hearing how much control he has. Listen at 2:09 for the controlled "metal" on the high notes.

And of course he was great in Walk Hard :) No offense to David...but couldn't help myself.

Great one Jonpall...David is a beast!

Check this one out. Crappy recording but brilliant for hearing how much control he has. Listen at 2:09 for the controlled "metal" on the high notes.

Analog: I was interested to see what he does at that location, so I ran the sustained top note through the spectragraph. David Phelps 'metal' on that note is the result of a clearly (but easily sung) note, with excellent 2nd-formant tuning. He is singing exactly the right vowel to get his his 3rd harmonic to align perfectly, and so it is HUGELY amplified.

Steven,

Very cool! I would call this a Curbing(half-metallic) note in CVT terms. I wonder how similar this is to your reply in the John Farnham thread http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=754 here:

VIDEOHERE: Well, he is a fairly natural high voiced tenor. Just listen to his speaking voice to get a sense of that.

His phonation is fairly-well balanced, and as a high tenor for certain vowels he can sing with power up above tenor high C. The highest sustained note in this recording is Eb5.

As a resonance strategy, he is doing those top notes the same way Pavarotti did, he is tuning his F2 to the 3rd harmonic (H3), and singing a soft fundamental with a fairly long closed quotient. See how he leans his head back, and drops his jaw significantly up there? To keep the F2 on H3 strategy working, he has done this, and also likely allowed his larynx to rise so that F2 will be high enough to match H3.

Steven,

Very cool! I would call this a Curbing(half-metallic) note in CVT terms. I wonder how similar this is to your reply in the John Farnham thread http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=754 here:...

Analog: Yes. David Phelps and John Farnham use the same approach as Pavarotti, and also very many other operatic tenors, too, with the exception that David Phelps does not have much twang or singer's formant going, at least not that can be heard in the recording. Perhaps the PA and the mix have had the 2800-3200 Hz range squashed.

In case you are interested, I wrote a fairly lengthy article about tenor resonance strategies and posted them to TMV in Dec, 2008, and showed how some tenors do this, and some do not. The article is at

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profiles/blogs/vocal-ring-and-operatic-tenor

The article begins with an orientation on how to read a spectragraph, and puts two popular 20th C tenors, (Bjoerling and Domingo) up for comparision with the Two voices on the same picture, and with explanations of what the pictures indicate. The article also includes spectragraphs of quite a few tenors, and you can see readily who does it, and who does not. You'll also be able to see the presence of the singer's formant.

Enjoy!

Analog: Yes. David Phelps and John Farnham use the same approach as Pavarotti, and also very many other operatic tenors, too, with the exception that David Phelps does not have much twang or singer's formant going, at least not that can be heard in the recording. Perhaps the PA and the mix have had the 2800-3200 Hz range squashed.

In case you are interested, I wrote a fairly lengthy article about tenor resonance strategies and posted them to TMV in Dec, 2008, and showed how some tenors do this, and some do not. The article is at

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profiles/blogs/vocal-ring-and-operatic-tenor

The article he article begins with an orientation on how to read a spectragraph, and puts two popular 20th C tenors, (Bjoerling and Domingo) up for comparision with the Two voices on the same picture, and with explanations of what the pictures indicate. The article also includes spectragraphs of quite a few tenors, and you can see readily who does it, and who does not. You'll also be able to see the presence of the singer's formant.

Enjoy!

steven, can you recommend a good book to read about harmonics and formants?

steven, can you recommend a good book to read about harmonics and formants?

There are plenty of books, but most are written with a good deal of math, are about fundamentals/principles and not about practical matters.

Here is an example of the kind of writing that you can get, for free, on the internet:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/voice.html#source

I can summarize all this in just a few sentences:

1) The glottis emits pulses of sound during phonation. The frequencies are most often multiples of the fundamental (sung note), and generally decrease in strength the higher their frequencies. These frequencies are called 'harmonics'.

2) The vocal tract filters this sound, amplifying some frequencies, and softening others. The position of a resonance is called a 'formant'

3) What we think of as 'vowels' result from different configurations of the vocal tract, principally from the different positions of the tongue, but also due to the position of the jaw and lips. When these move to different positions, the formants move, so the vowel changes.

4) When harmonics align with formants, they are amplified very much, and singing is easier.

If you will let me know what areas you are interested to investigate, I can point you to specific articles. THere is also a forum topic under Vocal Science where some resources are listed, at

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=19

Enjoy.

so i'm on wykepedia reading about steve perry and come across a song (i had never heard) called "homade love" and here we see first hand when you are just are in a state of flow your vocals just float out and the skies the limit. the magic moments start at 1:50 where he simply just floats the vocals all over the place...totally magnificent..........!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHHXaXD1Pt4

I have mixed feelings towards Steve Perry because I think he often sounds a bit too girlish for my taste, but if he could have sung consistantly like this, I would have bought all Journey's records :)

I have mixed feelings towards Steve Perry because I think he often sounds a bit too girlish for my taste, but if he could have sung consistantly like this, I would have bought all Journey's records :)

jonpall, i can always count on you for a reply

oh yes....as he got older, he got a tad raspy and husckier.....

i love this vocal too:

There is a man by the name of Harry Nillson, who's famous for Everybody's Talking, but in A song called Without You, I think he hits some really big notes to make this song memorable. He hits the notes twice, but the second one at 2:01 is just fantastic, and always brought a smile to my face. Hope it does the same for you. Sadly he's passed, but his voice and music, still lingers as a reminder of my childhood, and he is missed.

There is a man by the name of Harry Nillson, who's famous for Everybody's Talking, but in A song called Without You, I think he hits some really big notes to make this song memorable. He hits the notes twice, but the second one at 2:01 is just fantastic, and always brought a smile to my face. Hope it does the same for you. Sadly he's passed, but his voice and music, still lingers as a reminder of my childhood, and he is missed.

t, oh yeah .....he was an awesome vocalist. a bitch of a song to sing well. that " l can't live" is a toughy.

thanks for posting.