Endless Appetite - excerpt

• TMV World Legacy Member

That was beautiful. I liked it. I can't think of anything wrong with technique. I'm sure others may have aesthetic considerations which might be changed with technique, maybe. But I liked it, as is. And I think you definitely have the right voice for this.

And with your low end, you could get hero roles. Another aquaintance of mine who does theater and church musicals noted that "baritenors" often get hero roles, more than legit tenors. Guys with full, warm baritone who can do some high notes can fill a hall with sound, dominating the space, as a hero should. You could fill a sanctuary with sound, with or without a mic.

yep. many musical main roles are written for "baritenors". However, I'm a little bit lower than that. In classical music I would probably sing bass-baritone or maybe hero baritone. I like Dance of the Vampires very much because most songs only go up to F#4, which means the main role can be sung by singers lower than baritenors as well.

• TMV World Legacy Member

yep. many musical main roles are written for "baritenors". However, I'm a little bit lower than that. In classical music I would probably sing bass-baritone or maybe hero baritone. I like Dance of the Vampires very much because most songs only go up to F#4, which means the main role can be sung by singers lower than baritenors as well.

And I think there is nothing wrong with working where you voice works best. For better or worse, I happen to be a tenor. And so, I will concentrate my efforts there. And it's okay for you to be a dramatic baritone or even basso-baritone (which means your work would more likely involve the low end to earn that tag.)

Obviously, as shown a few of your other samples, you can get notes in my range. That's cool, too. Do what pleases you artistically. We could spend forever in here, debating each little nuance of every note. "Widen the vowel, narrow the vowel, shorten the consonant, make it darker, make it lighter."

Who cares? I think you are a great singer and on your way to awesomeness. But then, again, I have noticed that in every one of Robert's students, without exception. And I don't care if anyone believes that I say that without any expectation of favor from Robert. As always, it's a partnership between teacher and student.

And shortly, I expect some others to come along and find problems with your performance. And they may be right, hearing things I didn't hear.

But starting from a strong position is always a good thing. Nothing breeds success like success.

Or, I could have just said, "good job" and give you the kiss of death.

:lol: