Your Song - Elton John, sort sample. How's my pitch and tone

Rate this topic

So I've been trying to track my progress with my voice...here's my latest recording

I've always had issues with pitch, how have I progressed in terms of staying on pitch

Edit:

Okay Here's my final attempt at this song

https://soundcloud.com/user893437388/your-song-last-attempt

How's the pitch on it

Well... It seems still unpitched. I think you should improve your breath support before you try sing on pitch. I think your throat is not that open too, your voice sounds a little strained though. Anyway, singing is not really my business, but as a musician I think you should study a bit more of music perception.

Greats

"Your song" is a pretty hard song to do for those learning to sing. It's lower in the range almost too low for most. It is too close to speaking. Most people tend to go too high on the parts that get a little more intense.

Because there are times when you are on pitch I can tell that you know when you are off pitch.

If you have a piano or guitar one way of working on pitch is striking a note on the instrument and matching the pitch with your voice.

MDEW has a point. The original is pitched lower than your voice. And rather than you forcing your voice to go lower, find the key you can work in.

Your pitch is all over the place, throughout the whole song, so, I can't just pick one word in the lyrics. So, go through the song without lyrics and just do la-la but concentrate on matching pitch. And when you sing the lyrics, don't pronounce them the way that you speak. Also, listen to how Reginald sings it. He is modifying, to the point that he sounds "country" when he sings it. "Inside' sounds more like "in-sahd." And proably what is causing your pitch problems is actually support. Let the tension be in your abs, not in your tone generator (throat.) You cannot and should not sing the way that you speak.

Again, M, is right, intensity in the song is not from pitch. It is from how brightly Reginald resonates the note. That is, the more intense notes are a bit more twangy or even nasal, if you need to start there, than other softer parts of the lyric in the verses.

edited to add: listening to the original, again, I think some of your pitch problems are from trying to imitate the florid parts that he does. And the problem with that is assigning equal weight and volume to each note in the florid parts. Stop that, for now. Concentrate on just singing this straight ahead, no flourishes until you have the melody solid. Then add the little trills, but at a lesser weight.

I have a friend who used to sing completely out of tune. This is what we did to solve it:

- Vocal exercises, first on 3-tone scales (C D E) then on 5-tone scales (C D E F G). Once you free up the voice more I find pitch usually takes care of itself. Singing scales also gets you used to matching pitch. If you can't match pitch on a simple scale there is no way you can do it in a song.

- Pick a song with a simple melody. Play the melody on the piano and sing at the same time. Do it phrase by phrase.

- Ear training: Play a chord on piano/guitar, listen first and sing one note belonging to the chord. As a singer you need to sing 'inside' the chords. Melodies generally rely on chord tones.

- Ear training: Play a simple melody on piano/guitar and sing it back.

Hope this helps! :)

Nick

I started playing around with a tuner and the thing I realized is that when I go for the note, instead of hitting the note exactly, I tend to "search" for the note. I hit a note around ti and try to adjust.

I've been seeing what's up when I just play one note on the piano

For example if I play C, I might sing C# and then adjust downwards to C on my own, Instead of hitting the note immediately, I tend to slide to the note. Usually I'm noticing that I'm 0.25 cents off and find the note. If i get time to think about the note, I'm more accurate. But with singing a song, I'm forced to change so often that I keep finding myself in weird situations because I don't have time to adjust...again that's my ideas

I'll keep up with the Vocal exercises and Ear training. I've been working on that for the past few weeks

You need better breath control, support to project your voice and help with staying in pitch.

Your tone isn't bad as it bears its head from time to time, but without the other elements it gets lost and the overall perspective isn't pleasing.

Breathe from your stomach and take a breath before every line you sing. Try standing up and keep your back / spine straight. Open your mouth wider and try to keep your tongue down -- tip of tongue touching back of bottom teeth. Always have a feeling of pushing down on the diaphragm slightly - this will regulate the airflow and help with the pitch issues.

When you are singing the higher parts , push down on your diaphragm like you are going to the washroom more.

If you dont have access to a guitar or piano, Get yourself an electronic keybord. Even if it is a childs toy it will still be good enough to train your voice.

Does the tuner that you are using generate the pitch you are trying to match? It is better to hear the pitch that you are trying to match.

Most tuners are very accurate. No matter who you are and how good your voice is the tuner will wobble a little.

Once you get the pitch even if you have to slide to get it. sing the same note over and over on that pitch until you can start the note withou sliding to it. At first use a note that is a little higher sounding that your speaking voice.

You started out Ok. It still seems that when the song gets more intense you tend to go too high with the notes.

Working on pitch is not something you can fix in a day. I know you can do it because later in the song you get back to singing on pitch.

This song is a very hard song to get because it is a low register. Too low for most people. The melody is somewhat MONOTONE. Which means that the differences in notes are very close together. So when the song does go higher it is not as high as people may think.

Also because the song increases in intensity(gets louder) and the notes actually stay the same people tend to sing a higher note than what the song calls for.

Do not give up. It just takes longer then we want it to. I still have trouble with pitch when I sing higher songs.