Raising the soft palate

Rate this topic

Blameitonthevodka

Well, the way I learned about raising the soft palate was using a slight smile. The muscles that move when you smile also "raise" or retrac the soft palate, not necessarily from dropping the jaw. I could be wrong but it sounds like you fighting yourself with contradictory motions.

I am not an expert. Not even a pro.

I'd like to refine ronws' point. When going for that smile, pay extra attention to lifting up your cheek muscles and not just smiling by stretching your mouth to the sides.

I have watched Ronnie James Dio in the studio and he would do something similar, though he claimed to have never had lessons. He did what I carte blanche named the Lilli Lift (I, ronws, named it after Lilli Lehmann, who also talked of this method of raising the soft palate.

More than listening, please watch what Ronnie does during his bit to even out the levels of his monitoring in the studio.

So basicly its magical, it makes it easier and it makes you sound better.

Magic does not exist. You probably will just run into more problems by searching for it. Answer first WHY do you need it, until you know it exactly, considering your voice alone and what you are doing with it right now, it will be useless.

Orientation.

If you insist on lifting the soft palate, cool, pick a straw, a glass of water, drink it through the straw, there, velar port is closed.

GL

But it is magical.

Yawning can happen whether the jaw is dropped or not. But I would work on one thing at a time.

Work on the yawn or smile, worry about the jaw, later.

Just an idea.

Magic does not exist. You probably will just run into more problems by searching for it. Answer first WHY do you need it, until you know it exactly, considering your voice alone and what you are doing with it right now, it will be useless.

Orientation.

Hey Blameitonthevodka, Don't let this guy discourage you. He's Mr. Negativity personified. Yuck.

Felipe was sent here to earth by the false gods of technique to make sure no one ever inhales, or utters a single consonant sound without studying with a teacher for at least 43 years first. At least.

God help that poor, poor soul who just wants to sing for fun, and is curious about how to sound better, because if Felipe finds out you like to sing without getting "Orientation" or without getting a high end teacher, well you are hopeless, looking for magic and definitely ruining your voice. Forever.

There's bits of decent info in your posts Felipe, but I despise reading through all that repetitive "Get a Teacher or fail" of bs of yours.

Talk about a broken record.

Happy new year!

I'm no expert on singing but the best way I found to raise the soft palate is to grab a mirror and say "NgAAAhhh" start with the "NG" sound then hold the "AH" sound. you should see the soft palate raise, be careful not to tense up when doing this. I found that doing scales with this sound helped me a lot. Just be cautious of any tension in you throat.

For me yawing or imagining a egg in the back of my mouth(other ways some people use to raise the the soft palate) only lead to a muffled sound.

Like I said though I'm no expert so take what I say with a bit of salt, but I have tried a number of things for getting rid of a nasal tone and this was the one that helped most.

Hope this helps :D

I have it easy, for raising the soft palate. At work, we have a 5 ton hydraulic jack for doing maintenance on the company vehicles. I use that, and then put some jack stands in there to hold it up so that I can use to jack elsewhere, if needed.

I realize not everyone has access to heavy equipment, like I do.

( I need a devil smiley right here.)

Well I said how to lift it, anyone singing better due to it? Want other references?

Hands thumbs against your upper molars. Prepare the beginning of a sneeze then think back down into your mouth. Prepare the beginning of yawn and focus just on the upper sensations, letting go of what happens on your throat. Inner smile. Think that you are about to bite an apple. Think that you want to blow air strongly through your mouth. Make a nasal vowel on a low tone then redirect it into your mouth without tensing the jaw.Say Lagalagalaga on a single note on legato, the g closes the velar port. Use the G and notice how the consonant shapes itself, dismantle it and use the pieces to your goals..

Without a defined focal point and support, all these will just send your voice back and will make you force your voice to do it.

But be my guest use it as you see fit.

Well I said how to lift it, anyone singing better due to it? Want other references?

I sing better because of soft palate lift. I know you don't think I sing very well from all the reviews you have given me, including the almost okay review of "Ramble On."

But people I have sang for in person liked it. And a guy I know who delivers materials to my company, he's from Argentina. And he loves my cover of "Highway to Hell."

So, I have at least one fan I can count on. Serious as a heart attack, he said, "If you are performing somewhere, let me know and I will pay to get into the club."

I agree with Ronws..

@Blameitonthevodka : it should only raise when you are reaching for the higher notes (not when you are singing low).. It sounds to me, that you are trying to force it up while singing normal notes.

There should be no tension when it happens. Open your mouth wide, smile a bit, keep your tongue lowered to the base of the jaw (tip of tongue can touch inside of bottom teeth). It should be a natural occurance when you enter headvoice or high chest voice (which ever style of singing you are doing)..

Blameit: The high soft palate posture, to the point that the velopharyngeal port is closed, is pretty easy to experience. There are a half dozen fully-and-semi-occluded consonants that provoke the posture reflexively, and that can be used as starting-points for transitioning to a vowel with the high velar posture.

For example, the soft palate rises to close the port for P, D, V, Z, french je, and voiced TH, without any second thought. As an exercise, try using V, Z or voiced TH and then allowing the jaw to drop just a small amount to form a vowel with the same throat posture...

voila...A vowel with a high soft palate.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful exercises. I have just been doing the inhale on 'ka' and exhale. I actually just read something that I found very helpful, "Also, to help the soft palate raise, especially on high notes, think of the air coming from your lungs, through your trachea, past your vocal chords and then pretend that it goes straight up, out the top of your head. I pretend that the air is massaging my soft palate to keep it relaxed, so it will be able to rise. If you are relaxed and energetic in your singing, your soft palate WILL naturally rise the higher you go when singing in your classical voice if you do not inhibit it" - http://www.patriciafeltmann.com/index_files/tip1.htm

Thanks for all the replies and helpful exercises. I have just been doing the inhale on 'ka' and exhale. I actually just read something that I found very helpful, "Also, to help the soft palate raise, especially on high notes, think of the air coming from your lungs, through your trachea, past your vocal chords and then pretend that it goes straight up, out the top of your head. I pretend that the air is massaging my soft palate to keep it relaxed, so it will be able to rise. If you are relaxed and energetic in your singing, your soft palate WILL naturally rise the higher you go when singing in your classical voice if you do not inhibit it" - http://www.patriciafeltmann.com/index_files/tip1.htm

I like that image, too. Reminds me of my simplistic formula. Motion, when necessary, from the abs. Note in the head. Nothing in the throat.