How loud shouldninsing when working out?

Rate this topic

Keith

For the past couple weeks I've been doing my workouts without belting. I would say about 1/2 of what beltin would be for me. I've noticed that vowel modification becomes more important when I'm not belting.. Anyway, I've been drilling passagio and head tones with the reduction in power until my voice gets airy.. Usually takes about 2 hours. There is no noticeable feeling of fatigue or discomfort (like there was when I was belting). So i guess my question is : is working out this way until I can't physically do it any longer unhealthy ?

I think any activity will lead to fatigue, even if proper technique is used. If we really want to compare singing to other athletic activity, then we need to respect it like we respect other athletic activity. Does anyone here engage in any athletic activity at peak level for 2 hours? 4 hours?

I don't care what it is. Golf, tennis, surfing, raquetball, running. Does anyone do anything like those for at least 2 hours at the very limit of their ability? Go ahead and look at pros. Does a football player play the entire game, both offense and defense, from starting coin toss, to final buzzer, without stopping, without rest, without second-stringers getting game time? There is a description for coaches that wear out there starters first game of the season - unemployed.

Keith, I think you are just getting tired because you are singing at a pro level for the duration of a standard gig more often than you are playing a standard gig and this is in addition to your studies at the university and whatever other activities you have.

I would say that at whatever point you start to lose some coordination from fatigue, that is a good place to stop, so that you don't build bad habits.

i believe it's more important to work out at varying intensity levels than volume levels.

like brother ron always says.....resonance is the key...also to learn varying levels of support.

meaning can you train yourself to sing intensely yet without a lot of volume as well as with ball to the walls..

Keith whatever you can belt you should be able to sing relatively softer. You should find the path of the passage you are trying to do whether it be a scale or song. Meaning if you need to break into falsetto to feel where it is placed you do it. Then you do it in full voice, hold back like you are drinking the air instead of whaling it out. This will help your support pretend you are singing to a baby and you can't break into falsetto you sing full but lower volume. I worked with a student today on GRENADE by Bruno mars and worked it until he was able to sing it without yelling and he did great. Here is a short video on singing with control. There is no reason you can't sing loud or soft you just need to practice control. FYI the student I worked with today said he has been told by many he is a baritone which again was proven baritones can sing LIGHT AND RIGHT!!!

I beleive that the muscles that aid in the belting are the IR's (inter arytenoids). These are the muscles that actually close the folds. According to Dante, these muscles get fatigued very easily. In other words you can't use them at full blast very long. The reason I know this is I blew them out a bit last summer and took me a couple of weeks to recouperate, and I got some help from Dante.

So, yes you can belt, but do it for smaller amounts of time. I think it is good that you're working on non-belting. This will probably give you a lot of flexibility and stamina in the long run.

Great stuff! Thing is, I found this awesome coordination while not belting that feels like, well, nothing. The note just comes out . Feels like it uses no air. And the only place I can use it is between e4 and B4. But it's Kewl. Feels like I'm not trying at all . But after a while, i loose the coordination. I don't get the same coordination when singing loud, it just doesn't happen. I recorded myself singing this way in the original i posted in the critique section . I think indonitnin the second and third chorus. It sounds lite, but well connected. And, I like it lol . I'm not sure what I'm doing to achieve it though, cause when i work it, I lose it.