Maximizing The Ring

Rate this topic

Hey all, what exercises help maximize ring on all areas of the voice (top to bottom)? It feels like my low notes are very rumbly but my high notes don't have enough "bzzz" or squillo or ring.

What can I do to add more 'focused ring" in my voice (without over compression or quack mode) especially up high? How does one "sing on the ring"? I can hear this quality in many of my favorite artists... maximum vibrations with minimum air-pressure. Ofcourse the focused ring is also due to cord closure but also the use of multiple resonating chambers.

How can I maximize the use of my natural resonating chambers (including the mask) without "forcing" the sound and eventually be to use them at will?

Thanks in advance.

- JayMC

Hey all, what exercises help maximize ring on all areas of the voice (top to bottom)? It feels like my low notes are very rumbly but my high notes don't have enough "bzzz" or squillo or ring.

What can I do to add more 'focused ring" in my voice (without over compression or quack mode) especially up high? How does one "sing on the ring"? I can hear this quality in many of my favorite artists... maximum vibrations with minimum air-pressure. Ofcourse the focused ring is also due to cord closure but also the use of multiple resonating chambers.

How can I maximize the use of my natural resonating chambers (including the mask) without "forcing" the sound and eventually be to use them at will?

Thanks in advance.

- JayMC

Send an email to Satan to get a contract to have the "voice of destiny." Then you, like Jack Black, will have a tasty jam.

Please pardon the profanity in the lyrics but it is his (Jack Black) means of expression of Jables in his battle with the demon.

edited to add: no wonder I love the Teancious D rock off. It's so 70's.

:lol:

in addition to what dan said.....proper support, balance between the increased air pressure, the musculature controlling the vocal folds, and hitting the exact resonating pocket with the best shade of vowel.

and a shitload of practise and experimentation.....

if you don't get the air into that pocket just right, it feels more difficult...like you're hitting into a wall. the pocket actually feels easier and the voice will feel taller!!!

Oh its easy.

Breath low, support well a ballanced and ajusted emission of an EE vowel, making this EE not too compressed, but still ajusted, taking care to not let it become airy, at the same time, relax your jaw, let your tongue rise just enough so that the exact ammount of space is give to allow it to resonate forward, but retainning the depth and the vowel quality in the process.

Done correctly, you will feel that the ring diminishes and centers, it get focused forward, on a point that should be exactly behind the front teeth. It produces a very notable reduction of the perceived loudness from your standpoint, but the resulting projection increases a lot. So you must also take care to not overdo on the effort to make up for this reduction of what you perceive.

Then you just have to ajust all vowels against this posture, retainning vowel quality of course, and retaining the focus while you change the resonance strategy into and out of head voice.

As you enter in head voice, for pop singing, its best to spread the EE a bit, but taking care to not let it become a splatted EH.

You will probably want to use less resonance than this, but well, this surely will train it. Alone you have very few chances of doing it properly, but I remember sending some tips to at least experiment how forward focus feel, search around, whistle and humming are the key words ;). GL

felipe, you know i respect your opinion, but wouldn't you agree that it really shouldn't be said that "alone you have very few chances of doing it properly."

a lot depends on the singer, and key factors like his focus, will, and determination.

I agree with Videohere.

I don't know exactly what kind of ring you want, but I have discovered a few different kinds myself. I used to do a lot of throat singing and with different kinds you have to make them resonate properly to get loud overtones. It's seems like most of the effort towards this comes from either the back of the roof of the mouth, or in some cases, muscles in the throat.

If you are able to put the air just properly in the back of the roof of the mouth, you can get some kind of overtone that sounds an octave higher than the note. I've developed this a bit and can do it with certain vowels. Just practice that.

Oh well Bob. I respect yours too. But maximizing resonance is prety much one of final goals of technical trainning, doing it alone is prety much reiventing technique from scratch and blindfolded. So yeah, I think its a bit farfetched.

Why not follow a structured program, step by step, that forcebly will lead to the goal? Or at least close to it, if possible, with a teacher helping?

I would never attempt to mess around with focus on my voice alone, not now, not a decade from now, no one can judge this kind of fine tunning on their own with the precision required.

Haha I am into game development as a hobby. This thread reminds me of an usuall thread type that appears around cpp forums. "How do I put together a team to make a MMORPG like World of Warcraft and make profit?

Guess what are the answers? It has to do with college... :)

I respect your opinion too Bob, but really, do you visualize this happening?

Felipe you know as well as anyone there are plenty of pro singers who never had one lesson.. and one of my favs cause i know him is joe retta

and again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e1r_gcKzLM

and again

and again

no need for a teacher coach or book

im not saying some dont need one but how bad do you want it:) if you want it you can achieve it.. be humble and try hard, don't give excuses and move forward

Even if you are training alone you will have other people telling you weather you are making progress or not.

And if you are in a band the other members will let you know when you are not holding up your end.

Haven't you asked someone who you feel sings better than you for some tips?

Even Catheryn Sadolin desided that what she was being taught wasn't what she was looking for so she locked herself in a room and started expierementing until she started figuring things out.

As far as maximizing ring expierement and find out what your voice can do.

Of course I am not a teacher and I am still expierementing so take my words with a grain of salt.

Mdew we are always looking to improve. Dont let anyone tell you that you are good or you are bad.. you need to be honest with yourself.... and say am i practicing enough am i really trying, do i sound good on that am i jumping ahead of myself.. and when you do sound good do YOU recognize it..

That was a general statement about those of us who are learning or have learned on our own without a teacher or structured training program.

I do recognize when I am singing above or below my current level. And that is the point that I am trying to make.

If we are truely wishing to improve it is because we hear in others how we feel we should sound or could if we are applying ourselves correctly. We can hear it and feel it for ourselves if we are off in some way. It may be harder or more time consuming but we can do it on our own. That does not mean that we do not ask for advice or tips from other singers.

I am sure Pavarotti has asked Carouso how he warms up and what his favorite exercise is and vise versa.

I am also sure that for some of those singers who did teach themselves sang along with their favorite bands

and said to themselves "Hey! That sounded pretty cool. I'm gonna try another one" For Myself, I sang along with my favorite songs and said "Well That sucked! what am I doing wrong" I can tell when something sounds right and when something sounds wrong. But I cannot pinpoint what is right about it or wrong about it.

For myself I would need a teacher or a coach. That does not mean that others would not be able to do it on their own.

I believe in getting a teacher and training on your own.. I'm a teacher but a singer first, and I totally advocate training on your own if you take the time to really listen to the sound you want to produce. Not just throw some mum may siren exercises around and think they are going to help without really listening. I'm here to help if you need any:)

Thanks. I think the best advice that has been given here ,along with get a teacher of course, is train like you sing and my favorite "shut up and sing". Also record yourself and listen to it the way you would if you were listening to anyone else. Keep the parts you like and work on the parts that you do not.

Confidence is a major component that is not stressed enough. Most of us hit those walls because we are expecting them.

I find that singing through a pa helps me hear the "ring" or absence thereof - and I can kinda tune individual notes . I can't tell without a pa. Food for thought.

That's interesting, and goes to show just how different things can be for all of us. The reverse is actually true for me.

Bob's reply was the best. The balance of all factors in a note and experimenting where your pockets are. And it will take a while. And it was noted by at least one other that you have few chances to get it right, on your own. And I would counter that good teacher gives you homework, things to work on, by yourself. At some point, the student teaches himself. And that's across the board, here. That's how you teach everything where I live. You might have class in something but then, you will have homework. You are not expected to do everything only in the presence of an instructor and never without one.

And I think it will take a while, even with an instructor right by your side, holding you by the hand. They can only hear what you are doing. You have to feel it. And identify it and remember that feeling and where it was. And that depends on the student, regardless of instructor. And there is no time limit. What's important is that the student focus every time he practices and performs.

As for maximizing the ring, first, you need to go to a jeweler. He or she has a sizer that finds out what size your finger really is. Then, he can adjust the inner diameter of the ring for a better fit .....

:D

Oh its easy.

Breath low, support well a ballanced and ajusted emission of an EE vowel, making this EE not too compressed, but still ajusted, taking care to not let it become airy, at the same time, relax your jaw, let your tongue rise just enough so that the exact ammount of space is give to allow it to resonate forward, but retainning the depth and the vowel quality in the process.

Done correctly, you will feel that the ring diminishes and centers, it get focused forward, on a point that should be exactly behind the front teeth. It produces a very notable reduction of the perceived loudness from your standpoint, but the resulting projection increases a lot. So you must also take care to not overdo on the effort to make up for this reduction of what you perceive.

Then you just have to ajust all vowels against this posture, retainning vowel quality of course, and retaining the focus while you change the resonance strategy into and out of head voice.

As you enter in head voice, for pop singing, its best to spread the EE a bit, but taking care to not let it become a splatted EH.

You will probably want to use less resonance than this, but well, this surely will train it. Alone you have very few chances of doing it properly, but I remember sending some tips to at least experiment how forward focus feel,

search around, whistle and humming are the key words ;). GL

This! À great way to get this going is to start in à light falsetto/hooty headvoice on a gweeeeee sound high up in the range. Practice with that à few times, it's alot easyer to find the "spot" in that coordination, then try to translate that into your regular singingsounds

Daniel, I dont really disagree with you. Of course people can learn how to sing with awesome results on their own (although doing so in a healthy and comfortable way is a very different matter), my issue is with the application of technical ideas alone, specially related to resonance. You know as well how easy to mess it up it is, even if you are applied, even if you do take care.

For example, do you think that your friend, and that Led cover is freaking awesome, got into that quality level by thinking of " maximizing ring" and "tunning formants"? Or did he just sang and checked results, trying to improve slowly but consistently?

All I am saying is: want to use technical approaches, then get orientation for technical trainning. Want to learn on your own, then just sing and wait for the results, you will have to wait a lot more, and no, not everyone will be able to learn alone, no matter how applied the person is, but yeah its possible. And Ive said this before numerous times too.

How many times do you see miss applications of these ideas on your sessions? Sometimes even after an orientation, sometimes we have to go with half correct states. I know you do too because we crossed a few cases on the conference calls.

Focus is a very delicate thing to mess around, and I really dont think its a good idea to do it alone. For no one.

And well, if he succeeds in really maximizing the resonance, how will it sound on pop? :). But anyways, if want to, go for it, I did send very detailed descriptions on how to move the focus forward, without really maximizing, and get the idea going.

Daniel, I dont really disagree with you. Of course people can learn how to sing with awesome results on their own (although doing so in a healthy and comfortable way is a very different matter), my issue is with the application of technical ideas alone, specially related to resonance. You know as well how easy to mess it up it is, even if you are applied, even if you do take care.

For example, do you think that your friend, and that Led cover is freaking awesome, got into that quality level by thinking of " maximizing ring" and "tunning formants"? Or did he just sang and checked results, trying to improve slowly but consistently?

All I am saying is: want to use technical approaches, then get orientation for technical trainning. Want to learn on your own, then just sing and wait for the results, you will have to wait a lot more, and no, not everyone will be able to learn alone, no matter how applied the person is, but yeah its possible. And Ive said this before numerous times too.

How many times do you see miss applications of these ideas on your sessions? Sometimes even after an orientation, sometimes we have to go with half correct states. I know you do too because we crossed a few cases on the conference calls.

Focus is a very delicate thing to mess around, and I really dont think its a good idea to do it alone. For no one.

And well, if he succeeds in really maximizing the resonance, how will it sound on pop? :). But anyways, if want to, go for it, I did send very detailed descriptions on how to move the focus forward, without really maximizing, and get the idea going.

And I totally agree with this post.

Sure, someone can figure out how to sing well without a coach. But it could take a while. And yes, even with instruction, it is possible to go wrong while doing your homework. And it could be checked on one's next visit.

Anything we can learn goes faster and better with an instructor, provided the instructor is good.

And we certainly have each other here to review ourselves. With varying levels of pro and amateur status.

Having someone who knows what to listen for in a voice is very important. Some one like Ron who prides himself in shaking rafters and splitting eardrums with his voice may not have a problem in maximizing the ring or realizing the importance of it. I had been under the impression that I needed a solid tone. I would hear this annoying(to me) buzz in my voice and would try to suppress it. As it turns out this annoying buzz is what others refer to as ping. The very thing that I need is what I have been teaching myself to suppress.

Also, Singing quietly and singing without support are to different things. Sometimes singing quiet takes more support, especially if you want that ring to cut through other instruments.

Having someone to talk to and discuss what may or may not be missing in our voices really helps.

Some one like Ron who prides himself in shaking rafters and splitting eardrums with his voice may not have a problem in maximizing the ring or realizing the importance of it.

:lol::cool:

My voice as a registered sonic weapon of mass destruction ....

singing - someone's gonna get hurt ....

singing - a full contact sport

I challenge you to a duel - C5's at 20 paces...

My audience has to wear kevlar and construction grade ear plugs (the ones that cut by 30 dB)

I could probably riff jokes like that, all day.

To date, I have not broken glass, though Jaime Vendera has on a few shows, including "Mythbusters." He had a good mic and a good amp, in that episode.

I wonder, sometimes, if my resonance is so bright because I have been so used to singing over the volume of a guitar. I know a number of singers don't necessarily play an instrument and you don't have to in order to be a good singer though every teacher of old suggested it, primarily for the developement of harmony and rhythm. Pretty much every musical instrument involves rhythm, of some sort.

So, yes, I can sing really loud. I remember in 1994, I had a co-worker named Bruce. One day, after work (working on a new elementary school,) we were talking and discovering our mutual interest in music. Bruce just happened to have an acoustic guitar in his car. Bruce is a guitar player extraordinaire.

So, I borrowed it and started doing "Dream On" by Aerosmith. Of course, my guitar arrangment of it is simpler than the original. Anyway, so I am near the end and I do the Ab5 in that song. And I do it loud and clean. Mind you, were are in a parking lot with lots of open air around. And I sing it so loud that Bruce actually flinched.

That was one of those pivotal moments when I knew I was more of a singer than a guitar player. A singer who happens to play guitar. Truth be known, Bruce could and can play rings around me. He is 3 times the guitar player I will ever be. But I could do something he couldn't. A strat note that would leave you hairless. It was not long after that when he started losing his hair. I take responsibility for that. :lol:

I saw a video in the thread about raw vocals. The guy sings quietly, though he gets more variation of tone. Probably a life long rock singer, used to the mic. The woman, with her more operatic style, probably had to learn to sing with volume over accompanying instruments, a la opera and chamber music, and she sang louder, in a few spots. I wonder if that has an effect in driving one's need to get some "ring."

felipe, with me (maybe i'm just lucky) i spent a lot of time on breath support and breath management and control exercises which gives me the opportunity to hold out notes or do scales 3 or 4 rounds per inhaled breath.

this affords me time to... let's say stay up on a note if i'm trying to maximize ring i have a longer time to play with it and tweak the tone before i'm out of air.

so like an old analog slide rule tuner on a radio i can go back and forth over the station till i get the clarity just right.

i can tell (now, after a few years) when i'm in the most efficient resonant pocket a lot by "feel" as well as by sound.

a ton of experimentation though makes it a longer road i agree. but i really believe when you hit that pocket you just know it instinctively.

the tuning accuarcy gets better the more you practise and sing and this results in a better, more professional sounding voice overall.....you just know you've gotten a bit better.

my goal is to keep getting better the rest of my life.