Examples of famous artists RAW voice?

Rate this topic

aarondale

It's unrealistic to try to sound exactly like artists sound on studio albums. Producers have heaps of tools to compress, filter, distort, pitch-shift, and duplicate voices to add resonance and harmonizing effects.

I heard the making of "Hearing Aide" and could not believe that my own singing was almost AS developed and polished as some of the artists in studio, completely raw.

So where can I find more 100% raw recordings of popular artists to compare to?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, after seeing that, I know I could DEFINITELY impress somebody in the studio singing metal. But I'm a little more intrigued by space rock and post-grunge (like Blue October) right now.

My songs have a sort of space rock foundation (Muse, Roger Waters) but I then embellish with a VERY CONSERVATIVE helping of deathcore screaches and dark heavy metal themes of despair, violence, death and in fact the death of the entire universe. In the style of Rob Halford (who I very much sound alike) I focus on classical methods and use more guttural and harsh techniques in balance and only when appropriate. Like Halford and Matt Bellamy, I also tend to perhaps over-use falsetto, pure head voice, and sudden harsh transitions in tone, volume, and register. I take pride in sort of fooling people into believing there is more than one singer, haha.

I'd be interested to see more big-name artists, but my search terms always return some putrid Glee crap...

I've recorded myself singing with about as much effort as a yawn, and it sounds like an 80's power ballad. It's actually REALLY easy and doesn't require much breath at all. I find the most difficult part of my singing is technique. Rembering EXACTLY where to place it, where the tension should and shouldn't be, how much resistance or chord closure. To me, it's more a science than a talent.

If you want to hear me singing so loud that I clipped the mic from a few feet away and I was hurting my own ears in a large room, you should listen to my cover of "Child in Time." Specifically, the A5's in the high part. Keith mixed the vocal track against the backing track for me and so, he was able to adjust things. But it belies just how loud I was really singing. The idea was to fill a club with sound, as if I were singing live with Deep Purple.

Kind of funny, really, because when I speak normally, especially on the phone, I am not really loud.

I find that when I'm not practicing and just enjoying myself, I like to sustain some notes that sometimes absolutely shock me. Usually songs by Judas Priest. Genocide, Victim of Changes, and Bloodstone for instance.

it all depends on the singer...some singers are seriously powerful...it's so obvious in these videos. notice the accuracy of placement which give him this ring. notice what regis says to cathy lee. notice how he backs away from the mic because he knows how easily he can overpower the mic.

he's working here.

man, when you can sound this good live, you're good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR8x_P_HRo8

Oh no, I don't compare to R.J.D, but just about ALL of the other artists without processing are meh.

Also, I take back what I said about my volume. Yeah I put as much breath into it as a good yawn, but I was just told that I could be heard outside, downstairs, in a car with the doors closed... Hahaha.

And here I give you the reason that Steve Perry is the most discussed singer on this forum...

It doesn't sound precisely like the recording, but it's close enough that you can clearly tell that the Perry magic came from the voice, not from the effects they added after. The way he holds that B4 on "Night" is un- believable.

Jon Cain, Neal Schon, and Ross Valory also do a hell of a job on the harmonies.

Jon Cain, Neal Schon, and Ross Valory also do a hell of a job on the harmonies.

Indeed they do. They've always been overlooked, though, due to Steve's greatness.

I saw Journey in 2009, and the harmonies for "Mother Father" in particular were just gorgeous live.

My all time favorite harmonies of theirs might be from this little known track from "Trial By Fire". Just love it.

Steve Perry is a monster...

Not only he does it with that absurd consistency, but he also does it as if it was easy as breathing... If there is such thing as a reference of technique on pop, its that guy.

About the other band members... I think the drummer was better suited to lead the band than JSS was at the time :)

:rolleyes:

Hopefully you will bestow uppon us all this skill and knowledge so that we can learn from your awesome skills master.

Still, can we hear it actually happening? Get your PC, record yourself, boost later. Even if you are this good, and to do something better than what JORN did there you HAVE to be awesome, you understand how weird these statements are for us who dont know who the hell are you? :)

Let your singing do this kind of talk.