Vibrato help

Rate this topic

Keith

What would be some good exersizes to increase my vibrato speed? Most of you know that I have a somewhat natural slow and deep vibrato, but I'm looking to gain some control over it and make it faster, and a little less deep. Suggestions?

Keith I've had the same issue and have been working on this for a while now with success. I've found the best way is to do it the "bel canto" way of letting it occurr naturally through eliminating tension. Making sure that your abs and diaphram aren't part of the vibrato. Part of it is by increasing reasonance - slightly lower larynx (only in the chest voice part of the range) - seems to be easier with more reasonance.

This is what's worked for me: Work on a tenor aria. Get your a recording of your favorite opera singer doing an aria and put it on your iphone. These guys are all doing vibrato the right way - fast and totally consistent. Listen to each phrase and emulate the phrase. My vibrato is consistently fast now (and not so deep) and it is on autopilot.

no its a way to help teach it maestro:)

In some cases, a singer can begin to awaken the vibrato function by using a trill. A trill is an educated yodel at the vocal cords that may or may not be easy for a singer to produce. Some connect with this idea and begin to release the "over-squeezing" of the vocal cords, therefore allowing for the development of a vibrato.

Need I say more Felipe... Don't question my Authoritah!!!!!!!!!!!

With vibrato the "extra" note should be above the sung note. Ex: If the song calls for a D3 the vibrato note would be D#3.

Vibrato occurs naturally with me when I try to sing softly but powerful. If I am singing "How Great Thou Art" and I am wanting the Power but not the volume.

Keith, I like the luxuriant wide vibrato that you have now. However, I agree with Geno. Once you have breath support balanced against fold closuure, vibrato will present itself.

A tighter one that you have now. If that is your goal, just keep doing what you are doing. It will come to you with the training you have been working on.

Well, Adon, your experience may be different. But I have found, when I have the right breath pressure, fold closure with no undue strain, and resonance in the pocket, there's this vibrato that comes forth that I am not "controlling." It's just there.

And I think that is what Geno was alluding to, though I could be wrong.