I cant sing, but can I learn it? (get a good laugh)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey.

Okay, so I just joined a band for the first time, playing the bass guitar.

But as we need backup singers, it would be great if I could sing backup vocals.

Only problem is, I cant sing. I sound horrible :)

Now, if i just asked you guys if i could learn it, i quess you would just tell me to practice and I will!

But im worried that im so bad at singing that it will take me forever to just get a little better and If you think thats the case (that im just born bad at it) then i would really like to know as i might use my time on other instruments instead :)

So, to help me out and have a good laugh at the same time, please watch this 2 min video of me trying to sing Come together by The Beatles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omO_MI-TNeI

Any thoughts on how bad this is, how to improve, things i should start practice and things like that are more than welcome. Also, if you honestly thing that this aint going to happen for me, then please, let me know :)

EDIT: It should be mentioned that it was recorded on a phone. Also, my apologies for not knowing the lyrics ;)

Well first of all, you aren't on key with the song, or singing in the correct octave. You are sort of just talking with the song. I've noticed a lot of beginners doing this. You have to realize that they are singing specific notes, not just saying the words. Imagine playing the vocal melody on an instrument... bass for example. You can play all the notes he's singing. You have to sing those notes, the words don't even matter that much until you can do that.

Secondly, the best way to get better is to sing a LOT, and record yourself singing. This way you can reflect on how much you have improved since last time.

Anyways, I don't want to be harsh, but that's just how it is ya know?

Welcome to the forum.:)

The thing is, I actually already know this stuff, but I have no idea on how to apply it through singing. I have no idea what key im singing in (even if i know the key of the song) and I dont know how to sing specific notes.

Do you know a good place to start if i want to improve on the above stuff?

You are not harsh at all, I really want to hear peoples opinions on this, even if its "you suck and should never sing again" :)

Thanks, seams like a pretty nice forum.

Every sound made with the voice can be assigned to a note. When you speak, you are usually staying around the range of maybe three notes or so.

How do you tune your guitar? If you have ever tuned your guitar with a reference pitch, it can be much like that. Use a reference pitch with your voice, say C3 (That is the C below middle C on the piano). If you tune your voice to that note, you are singing that note.

Then if you want to do an exercise, sing up a scale. C major (play all the white keys on a piano one at a time, starting with C) and sing along with it.

When I started out about a year ago I couldn't sing any notes in tune.

It really helped me to play a single note on my guitar and just make sound with my mouth.

I'd raise and lower the pitch of the sound until it rang in unison with the note, just like when you are tuning your strings.

I did that over and over until I got used to the sound when it was in tune and when it was out of tune.

I still can't sing in tune very well but since doing those exercises I've improved and at least now I can usually tell when I'm out of tune.

I play bass too and it's not so easy to sing with a bass, so if you can get access to a keyboard or guitar it will really help you.

Best of luck.

Also, I'm a real believer in the power of the mind.

If you state that you are going to be very bad it generally becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you wish to improve stop calling your videos "really poor" etc. Remember your mind is listening and it will respond!!:)

Every sound made with the voice can be assigned to a note. When you speak, you are usually staying around the range of maybe three notes or so.

How do you tune your guitar? If you have ever tuned your guitar with a reference pitch, it can be much like that. Use a reference pitch with your voice, say C3 (That is the C below middle C on the piano). If you tune your voice to that note, you are singing that note.

Then if you want to do an exercise, sing up a scale. C major (play all the white keys on a piano one at a time, starting with C) and sing along with it.

I start of by using a tuner to tune my e string and then I use the 5th fret method to tune the remaining strings.

I just tried what you said and its a pretty nice exercise, I will be doing this in the future as part of my daily practice rutine, thank you :)

When I started out about a year ago I couldn't sing any notes in tune.

It really helped me to play a single note on my guitar and just make sound with my mouth.

I'd raise and lower the pitch of the sound until it rang in unison with the note, just like when you are tuning your strings.

I did that over and over until I got used to the sound when it was in tune and when it was out of tune.

I still can't sing in tune very well but since doing those exercises I've improved and at least now I can usually tell when I'm out of tune.

I play bass too and it's not so easy to sing with a bass, so if you can get access to a keyboard or guitar it will really help you.

Best of luck.

Also, I'm a real believer in the power of the mind.

If you state that you are going to be very bad it generally becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you wish to improve stop calling your videos "really poor" etc. Remember your mind is listening and it will respond!!:)

Sounds great that you have been abel to improve that much, it really gives me some motivation to give singing a shot.

Well, i dont think i work like that. Most of the time, if i feel like im really bad at something that i find interesting, I will find a way to become better, its kind of a motivation factor to me :)

Yet, I also want to be realistic and if it would be nearly impossible for me to learn how to sing then I would rather use my time on getting better at playing bass, thats why i made this thread.

If you have a really cool bass line that you know by heart, match you pitch to the bass line. In other words sing the bass line.

Or play random notes on your bass and try to match the pitch. You voice will match notes better on the D and G strings of your bass.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Pitch is your biggest problem. Sing along to bass parts and other music you know (just la la la maybe), record yourself and listen back.

Also, get a lesson with local singing teacher! honestly they can work wonders.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

The ideas on singing what you play is great! Iv done it in the past few days with scales and I really think this can help me - maybe not with my singing but then at least to be a better musician in general.

And thanks to you all for your replys :)

David: Im sure you are not alone on that one. Unfortunatly, that is actually how I "sing" ;)

Yes, you can learn to sing. You have to want it. It doesn't just get handed to you.

For me, I sing because I cannot think of not singing. Whether I have a good day, or not.

I thought it a bit odd that a bass player would not have a concept of pitch, or at least, harmony. Anyway, match yourself to an instrument. Don't stop until you match the note.

But here is your magic pill for the day. You do not sing like you speak. Yes, both activities use the same organs but singing has greater range, greater longetivity of the note, and pitch is paramount. Speaking lives inside singing, not the other way around.

So, there's a magic pill. Drink it with water.

Yes, you can learn to sing. You have to want it. It doesn't just get handed to you.

For me, I sing because I cannot think of not singing. Whether I have a good day, or not.

I thought it a bit odd that a bass player would not have a concept of pitch, or at least, harmony. Anyway, match yourself to an instrument. Don't stop until you match the note.

But here is your magic pill for the day. You do not sing like you speak. Yes, both activities use the same organs but singing has greater range, greater longetivity of the note, and pitch is paramount. Speaking lives inside singing, not the other way around.

So, there's a magic pill. Drink it with water.

I was actually considering not to answering on this on, but as you can see, i did.

I dont quite "get" what your post is all about? What i get from it is the following.

First you tell me that being able to sing wont get "handed" to me. Well, I think that is pretty obvious to everyone and I dont see how you could think that I dident know that already but trust me, i know it will take a lot of practice, as a matter of fact, i first came here to find out if it was even possible for me to learn how to sing :)

You go on to tell me (completly out of context) that you ,"cannot think of not singing, whether you have a good day or not" like this is the only way to go. Whats that all about?

The third "point" of your post is a quick comment, based on the assumption that i "dont know the concept of pitch and harmony". I guess you get this from the video I uploaded? Have you ever considered that its possible to have an idea of what you want to create but not having the skills to actually pull it off? I dont know about you, but i imagine all kinds of music in my head which im not able to play as my skills are inadequate.

You finish off, by giving me this "magic pill" which content i already know but again - I have an idea of how my vocal should sound like then Im trying to sing a specific piece of music but then I open my mouth, it sure as hell aint whats coming out ;)

The bright side of your post is this part: "Anyway, match yourself to an instrument. Don't stop until you match the note."

So, thanks for that one....

To tell the truth it sounds out of tune totally like I did 2 years ago. So I can say that if a person is tonedeaf it is possible to train ears so good that it will possible to sing on tune most of the time. Besides it's possible without teachers. In the Internet you can find a lot of useful video lessons on that case. Good luck!

HAHA.. that was entertaining the response to Ronws.. sorry man.. but it was... lol.

Listen Sourtulip,

If you want to sing, then you WILL sing. Do you have the potiential to sing -- YES.. everyone does unless there is a medical reason why you can't.

Don't let me, or anyone else deter you from it if it is something you want to do.....

With that said, (I just commented on someone elses thread about 5 minutes ago that was similar to this), you will need to really really work hard at developing your support, technique and tone.

To start, you need to pick a great vocal coach.

Best to go with someone local that you can see in person, however - sometimes that cost and ability is just not there.... So, online courses can do wonders for you.

I've said it before on this forum, but I really dig the methods and what I read (I am not a member of any course) from Ken Tamplin at : www.kentamplinvocalacademy.com

His course (to me) seems to hit the nail on everything you would possible need to become as good as you can.

A lot of people said Robert Lundi course is great too.

You will get lovers of the SS method (brett manning), but if you google his course (not SLS, but SS) you will see more negative comments about his course then anyone else on the web.

Regardless of that, the choice is yours, and ANY COURSE you pick and concentrate / dedicate yourself on practicing, will improve your voice(some more then others)....

So, whatever bud... do what you love to do... Match the note on the bass, or guitar, or literally BREAK DOWN vocals from your favorite artist... List to a sentence they sing, or certain note, and Match it...

RECORD YOURSELF - every time.. so you can compare between what you are doing, and what you are hearing..

it will come...

That's it... rock on..

Cheers,

David.

Maybe David said it better.

Sourtulip, you totally missed my point. How did you learn the bass? Did you just decide one day to play bass and, kaboom, you could play bass?

No, you had to work at it. Same with singing. And it takes dedication, it is not handed to you, whether you like that saying, or not. Sorry about your luck if you don't like that singing takes practice, dedication, and even a smidgeon of humility.

Nothing wrong with imagining something that you are not yet capable of. That's called having a goal.

You are the one who said you sound horrible. And then you say that if we say to practice, then you will. What part of describing dedication does NOT imply practicing? Are you just looking for a fight?

I should not comment any more if that is all that you want.

Hi, good job for jumping right in! :) I also sing, check out my FB page and be sure to "like" and share with friends!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mary-Robinson/510763182278766

Wish you the best with your singing!

Good stuff. Beautiful voice. You should prolly make your own thread with you YouTube videos there - better that facebook, unless you goal is to get more "likes" on your facebook page :)

www.drop-head.com