Rolling in the deep acapella

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi I'd like to get some feedback on this acapella cover.

I started getting into singing over the last month so I want to know how I sound !

Heres link: http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16941442/Rolling_in_the_deep

Thanks

First of cheers for trying this very hard for anyone especially males.

I love this album. Its very much a blues album which is why I love Adele.

But on to your singing.

Going acapella is hard to do so you must listen to this song alot to have the notes in your head as well as you do.

I can tell you have the notes in your head and pretty much have them memorized. The hardest part is

getting your voice to replicate those notes but also do it in your own style.

I feel like you have potential get some good resonance but that requires you to open up your mouth more.

Adele opens her jaw as much as possible when singing just watch some live clips off of youtube.

I feel like you are not getting enough air to support the notes you hear in your head.

To get a feel for a good amount of air control

Take the biggest breath you can and try singing an 'Ah' sounding note louder than you can talk

but only about 65 percent as loud as you can yell. Try to keep it at that volume consistently for as long as possible.

And try to hold the note steady.

Repeat this with a simple scale and try doing all the notes in an open Ah sound.

I grabbed this link for you.

All in all not a terrible beginning voice. You have good tonal qualities but try concentrating on each and every note.

I didnt become a better singer till I picked up an instrument. singing along with a guitar or piano helps a person immensely.

When you practice with an instrument you can line up the pitch of your voice one note at a time.

You know how notes can make things vibrate. Well you know you are on the right frequency when the note your voice hits and instrument hits vibrate together inside your head. Its a feeling of everything lining up. You can best experience this by humming to a vacuum cleaner until you hear it line up in your head. When it does youll then understand the effect I'm talking about. And we try to do that with each and every note.

I'm not great at singing and am only a tad past beginner. So take what I suggest as a grain of salt.

But good first shot and also don't be afraid of being loud or sounding terrible. All the best singers started of singing at

the top of their lungs not giving a damn what other people think.

My roommate routinely tells me I sound terrible but I shut him out.

Cheers and good luck my friend thanks for sharing.

The only song I have up.
https://soundcloud.com/#skyknight-1/hallelujah-m

Thanks both of you for your comments.

Skynight I really appreciate your feedback and I think your spot on with a few of your pointers.

I will try to open my mouth wider when Im singing and I know thats something I should work on to improve my resonance/sound.

I will try to focus on improving my breath control also as you have said!

I started to get voice lessons about 1 month ago and before than I've never really sung because Im very shy singing around anyone. I've never sung for anyone in my family and would be very concious about my voice.

So I mainly took up the voice lessons so that I can gain confidence in singing to others and to learn if I have any potential. Alot of my family,cousins etc. are all great singers so Im hoping I can be the same !

I actually have been playing guitar for around 7 years and I normally would sing with the guitar.

I know exactly what you mean by using the guitar to guide your voice and how you can notice when your voice is in tune with the song.

I just said that I'd sing acapella so you could hear only my raw voice and hopefully be able to take more from the recording.

The scales that you pointed out is what Im mainly doing in the voice lessons and at home so Im hoping that over time I will improve my range,tone etc.

Im trying to do a voice practice/scales for around 20 mins every day or two at home and I hope this will improve me alot!

I think the voice itself is very pleasant. Very difficult to explain details in a foreign language but why don' you want to sing with music? I don't know this song but the chorus tells me I heard this song somewhere a long time ago. Sj I can't say how good or bad on pitch you are....with music I'd much clearer to see....In general your tembre sounds good and your technique I can't judge coz I am a beginner myself. I'd say not bad. As I read you have a teacher then I'm 100% sure you will sound professional one day.

Thanks Foreinger for your feedback !

Some very encouraging words there.

Im sure you've heard the song before because Adele is very popular !

I decided to upload another song this time with guitar if you want to have a

listen here : http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=5987

Sing vowels, focus on the vowels. If you start focusing on the minutia you could really screw yourself. Most of these others issues can be handled fairly quickly, but the key to resolving them lies in your vowels.

^^^

This

Overall excellent advice from JustinOthersinger.

Hi JustinOtherSinger,

Thanks alot for your in depth response and for taking the time to listen to my singing.

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I've been battling the cold and sore throat for a few days now so I haven't had the time to respond.

I think I get what you mean by this whole resonance through vowel placement technique.

I can hear the (eee) sound at 1:02 that you pointed out and I had the feeling you would mention that because it does stand out alot !

In the voice lessons I practice singing different vowels in scales to exercise the voice. In the song clip above I experimented at 1:02 using this (eee) sound that I had been practicing through scales to see if that would make it easier to sing the note or if it would make a nicer sounding note.

Overall I think it made it easier to sing the note and I could definitely feel the buzz/resonance when I sang the note.

So are suggesting that whatever song I sing, I should sing the notes of the song in the same way as my vowel scales, or in other words, with this resonance ? I would have thought that singing in this way would give a more robotic/less natural (eeeee/ooooo/iiiii/aaaaa) etc. sound or that it would be more suited to the likes of opera singing with long constant notes etc. ?

And what exactly does explosive resonance mean in terms of the listeners perspective ? What qualities will you hear in the voice of someone singing with explosive resonance ? And should I be working towards this resonance in my singing ?

Finally, I don't fully understand what you mean by over-sized vowels if you can expand on that ?

Remember I don't have much knowledge on this whole topic of resonance,vowel placement etc. hence I'm asking so many questions so that I can understand and start using these techniques asap ! :)

Sorry I missed this thread, earlier.

Your breath support is not working on this. Don't sing like you speak. So, I checked out your other cover, "Lights." That's the way for you to sing. Do that, instead. In fact, you had a little more Adele tone in that song than this one. So, I would suggest re-doing this song, with or without accompaniment the same way you did "Lights." On that song, your voice would be a chick magnet, if that sort of thing interests you.

And I absolutely triple-dog dare you to cover "Counting Blue Cars" by Dishwalla.

Step up to the plate and swing for the fences. I bet you could knock this one out of the park. Just don't be afraid.

Thanks ronws for the feedback !

Ya I think I see what you mean about the way Im "singing like Im speaking" in the first song. I probably need to sing the song in a more breathy kind of way / with more emotion. I'll definately retry the song again once I get over the cold and might have a look at some of the song you posted above.

But one thing thats for certain is I wouldn't be able to sing the higher falsetto part at the chorus so Id probably just sing it high without falsetto.

Ya the chick magnet part interests me I'll have to learn the lyrics off to a tee so ! :)

Thanks ronws for the feedback !

Ya I think I see what you mean about the way Im "singing like Im speaking" in the first song. I probably need to sing the song in a more breathy kind of way / with more emotion. I'll definately retry the song again once I get over the cold and might have a look at some of the song you posted above.

But one thing thats for certain is I wouldn't be able to sing the higher falsetto part at the chorus so Id probably just sing it high without falsetto.

Ya the chick magnet part interests me I'll have to learn the lyrics off to a tee so ! :)

As Sylvester Stallone says in Rocky III, "go for it."

Get well soon.