Awesome Video on Distortion

Rate this topic

Overdrive

Cool video. Distortion by means of twang, with the rattle of the uvula. It's about the only way I get distortion.

I couldn't help but notice, except for the accent, that he looked like and reminded me of a young Corey Feldman.

Is there a big difference in sound between False Fold distortion and Soft Palet distortion?

J Vendera suggests Soft Palet distotion. Everthing is felt (or heard) above the folds.

I have never been able to distort above my passaggio. I know I am doing things wrong so I try to stay away from it for now.

Well the false folds are above the folds. When you twang to start it I believe you bring the false folds closer so they start to vibrate against each other.

I have had the same issue above the passagio. A lot of singers use creak as a kind of screamy distortion up in head - that is safer but it also comes with its own set of problems because you are intentionally creating an irregular vibration of the folds.

On the other hand I've been very successful mimicking one of the characters in Shreck - the gingerbread man. He talks in head and uses distortion once a while. I can do that voice but have not transferred it over to singing yet.

I do not have too much trouble when it comes to mimicing voices in speech but deciding what to keep and what to lose in singing is where I have difficulty.

I learned how to mimic Bart Simoson and Elmo by TRying to sing "Jailhouse Rock" by Elvis Presley( I know, How the ** could that happen). Jailhouse Rock is on the edge of my Passaggio. So I knew I could sing it If I just kept trying different things. I think I let my larynx rise just a little too high and the sound whent behind my soft palet and behind my nose. Since then I could mimic Bart or Elmo any time I felt like it. ( Drives my wife up the wall but we have to have some fun somehow.)

I'm not surprised as the last time I saw Shrek was well before I decided to become a singer. Of course a TMV forum member would pick up on that detail :lol:

My daughter and I were learning the Shrek version of 12 days before christmas (it is hilarious). We were learning all the different voices. And that's when I noticed the Gingerbread man's distortion - not singing, but one liner's in between the singing. So I started copying him. Whoever does the voice has very good distortion technique! Who knew?