The Importance Of Twang

Rate this topic

Hey all I know TVS already stresses the importance of twang but let me share a funny story with you. Recently we lost our cat... he was only 8 months and never been gone for this long (48hours). We thought he died. Later that night I was making food at around 2am and decided to look out into the backyard. I then heard a loud piercing crying sound, even through the glass door. I rushed outside and heard my cat crying out over and over, since I couldn't see my cat I followed the sound (over a fence) and eventually found him.

The moral of the story.... twang is super useful. A very small cat could make such a focused bright sound that I could hear it from inside the house. It's a survival tool, literally. The event definitely reinforced the importance of cry/squillo/twang in my singing, even a deep tone could use some twang. The sound definitely was not "spread" or wide open... it was focused and clear and basically saved my cats life.

I find meowing and ng very helpful for bridging & connecting as long as the larynx is not shooting up and I'm not "yelling." What are some good exercises to learn and control the use of twang? What has been your experience with twang and its application in singing? I am now including more emphasis on twang in my singing, it definitely helped my cat. Btw the cat sound was too twangy to distinguish vowels but it sounded like "weh-ooh" super twangy and light and connected.... I added it to my vocal routine. lol.

Thanks in advance.

-JayMC

And ya'll thought I was an idiot for swinging the cat around and trying to match that sound.

Cats don't twang. They don't have vocal folds as developed as a human. And they are professional breathers, better than humans. And they have small resonating spaces.

Although, I have seen video of a cat barking like a dog. Didn't sound like my dog, but it was staccato, like most dogs. However, my dog howl-barks, because if his mixed heritage.

I don't know there is any actual twanging action, intended or accidental, cats. I have had two cats. However, in relation to humans, cats and dogs do have larger sinus areas and 10 times the amount of scent receptors. They sense the world by smell, more than anything else. They have a better range of hearing and better night vision, but their visual acuity is not as nimble as Man's.

I should let that rest.

I think the main point is that focus of the note provides clarity and carrying power and that, I do agree with.

Cats are actually less domesticated than dogs, though they can be conditioned, to a degree, with operant conditioning. Whenever our cat would jump up on the trash can, we would give her a treat. Now, she does it, expecting a treat.

But, as a rule, cats are more solitary, even in a colony of cats. They each stake out a place.

I know a little too much about cats and I should shut up, now.