Uggggggg

Rate this topic

Keith

So, I've succeded in hurting myself twice in the last 2 months - this last time made it so I cant even sing in passagio or head. I am obviously doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out. I even tried doing less workout (from 2 hours o 1 hour), and not belting. I think that I've lost my ability to twang. This is very depressing. Not sure what to do now, but I have shows booked and a new CD to record, and I obviously can't do any of that at this point.

Solutions I can think of...

1. Discipline, training TOO much is going to take you backwards - limit your training to quality not quantity

2. Sing quieter till you figure out the co-ordinations you need to be successful

3. TAKE BREAKS.... dont talk or anything till your voice is ready to get at it

Keith for me lip rolls had an unwanted effect on my singing especially in head voice. Lip rolls help the cords warm-up and thin-out but ENCOURAGE the use of air flow. You say you do a ton of lip rolls... Head-voice requires very little air... do the math :cool: Unless you are spending a lot of time on support I wouldn't advise them.

I find light tongue trilling MUCH better and promote a mixed voice, if you can't tongue trill, grab a straw and sing through it. Rob said it best when he says we don't use lip rolls too much at TVS because of the lack of resonant tracking.

You're not alone. I've done that many times. Keith - when that happens you've got to take a couple days or more off and just let it heal. You're obviously doing something too extreme or you're just fatigued. When I do something wrong the FIRST thing to go is the passagio.

Do you have warm-up regimine that you know works well? (does not stress your voice out) If not, you've got to get one that works - same exact warmup every day that puts you in the right voice before moving on to songs.

So, I've succeded in hurting myself twice in the last 2 months - this last time made it so I cant even sing in passagio or head. I am obviously doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out. I even tried doing less workout (from 2 hours o 1 hour), and not belting. I think that I've lost my ability to twang. This is very depressing. Not sure what to do now, but I have shows booked and a new CD to record, and I obviously can't do any of that at this point.

Hi Keith!

So if you are feeling shit I agree with everyone that you need to rest.

Now for some speculations on why this is happening:

If it is indeed twang like you suspect, you might need to go back to quacking and doings NJETs etc and try to re-establish it. Back to basics like always when technique fall apart.

I'm no expert, but I think I've seen you write in another thread about trying to practice quieter. According to CVT you sometimes have to change HOW you sing if you want to go quieter/louder, or you will stray outside the safe zone of your mode. Not sure if this apply to what you are singing.

It could be all stress related and unrelated to your technique of course. You write "This is very depressing. Not sure what to do now, but I have shows booked and a new CD to record, and I obviously can't do any of that at this point." so no wonder if you would feel some stress once it goes a little south. That might magnify it....

Hope it clears up!

Cheers!

I do 10 minutes of lip bubbles , and I have pillars. So I use that. Resonant tracking, sirens, and stuff.

Keith - how does your voice feel after the warmup? Can you lip roll through the passagio no problem? I'm trying to figure out if your voice is healthy going into the warmup and then gets tight afterwards. That means one thing. If it is tight in the lip rolls that's another.

better yet.. why don't you send a clip of what is going on, so we could better understand the effect of it.. I know we are not doctors here, but we will know the extreme of it...

Rest is the best medicine, but don't stop doing your warmups.. just do them gently...

better yet.. why don't you send a clip of what is going on, so we could better understand the effect of it.. I know we are not doctors here, but we will know the extreme of it...

Rest is the best medicine, but don't stop doing your warmups.. just do them gently...

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12104081&q=hi&newref=1

This is an ovtave above the note I am trying to sing.

Does your voice skip over that octave everytime you sing even if doing lip bubbles or slides?

I have read something like this. I don't know if it may be from Training the higher end too much. or Using faulse folds to make the whistle voice.

Some teachers advocate training the different registers seperately. Low voice one day High voice next.

I've heard Ken Tamplin and others say any time you do something extreme make sure you cool down and do things in a "Normal" range to keep this kind of thing from happening.

It becomes easier for your voice to switch to whistle than to sing in a mix.

I believe Catherine Sadolin used something like this as an example in her first edition of the CVT book.

Does your voice skip over that octave everytime you sing even if doing lip bubbles or slides?

It did when I recorded that. I knew when I started doing it that something was off and stopped singing. I tried yesterday and I could get some lower passagio notes with lip bubbles, but nothing above f4. it would just turn to squeek. So again, I stopped.

Dont do exercises until your voice is feeling well again man. Vocal rest, water and sleep. 2 days off at least and if it does not go away, doctor.

This shows that something that you are doing is not working and needs to be fixed. Trainning should not lead to this kind of stress. Of course when searching for stuff some sort of "wrongs" may happen, one thing is feeling tired, which IS wrong but manageable. Another is damage and alterations.

How is your spoken voice behaving?

Forward placement/twang, like ALL other fundaments, needs to work in ballance. You actually can have excess and it will not only sound strange, but will place stress on the vocal tract that will result in stress on the folds. But really you should get someone that you trust, to help you in this personaly.

You can very well be using a good ammount and simply not being intense enough, which would result in tension if you tried to cut back the volume and keep it forward. Maybe its a very good idea also to learn exercises for resistance and endurance and include them in your trainning. This way if you take a wrong path again on the future the impact will be much smaller. Healthy and well executed exercises of course.

Patience until recovery. Wait until your voice feels good, no need to mess around with lip bubbles or anything until then. If in doubt, doctor, always.

Do you have any other symptoms. Hoarseness,dry or scratchy throat?

Like others said stress can really screw things up.

I am not a doctor or teacher but these questions may help others determine the problem.

Always go back to basics when you encounter a problem.

Were you trying new or difficult execises before this happened?

keith, were you needing to use your speaking voice a bit too much lately?

you'd be amazed how over use of the speaking voice factors into it. when i'm in the store and have to talk a lot and then exercise on top of that....it's all cumulative.

keith, were you needing to use your speaking voice a bit too much lately?

you'd be amazed how over use of the speaking voice factors into it. when i'm in the store and have to talk a lot and then exercise on top of that....it's all cumulative.

Nope. Actually, I dont have a job yet, so I am home alone all day. I literally talk to nobody. All day every day. Not even on the phone - (dont have a phone lol).

keith, i agree with owen. 2 hours of just exercising is overkill.

perhaps you need a room humidifier.....get a hold of a decent hygrometer and see what the humidity is in the area you spend the most time in. it should be a least 40% to 50%...makes a huge difference.

i have an excellent humidifier i recommend so highly

it's the supentown su-4010.

Bob is the only one to hit on what I was going to ask.

Hello???

It's winter time, the heater is on. Heaters dry out the air, at least to my senses, more than air conditioning. In Texas, we always have to have air conditioning. And I drink cold beverages all the time. Except for the morning. Then, it's hot coffee.

I think the heater is drying out the air and it will, in fact, mess with the hydration of your vocal folds as you INHALE.

That's why, when I am in the car with the heater on lobster boil, I don't sing.