My voice hurts, and I'm having trouble with high notes~

• TMV World Legacy Member

No matter how I try I can't hit the high parts rights in this song :( I know I'm capable of hitting all of the notes (even if it's with falsetto, but I can't tell) but even though I always have pitch problems it's really hard to do high notes especially.

Can anyone please critique my singing in this song? It's Evening Sky by Ailee.

I'm sorry it isn't in English but of to all the songs I screw up, this one's one of the better ones.

Sometimes I listen to myself sing and I feel so bummed. I'm 14 years old, is there a chance I'll improve? I really want a vocal teacher but unfortunately that isn't possible for me.

Also, I was wondering why I'm not as sensitive to what's off-tune? Like I might listen to something and think it's fine even though everyone else thinks it's off-tune.

Please reply and please do not hold back....Seriously, I've heard a lot of really bad things about my singing, I can handle it.

Thank you so much~!

Bless your heart for the desire to sing. All of your singing in this sounds like falsetto. Perhaps you were singing too softly. Sing a bit louder. But while you are at it, you need to equate the pitch of the note to a physical feeling or a mental picture. I know what it's like to be 14 and broke. I was there once. Now, I am an old man and broke. The difference between us is 35 years. So, one can always expect to be broke, evidently.

:lol:

Broke means not having any spare money.

Anyway, listen to your own recording and hear the difference between the note in the music and the note in your voice. You are mostly flat, which means your pitch needs to rise.

One trick I came across is to listen to an instrument playing a note and link in your mind that note to a picture, like an apple. Link the next higher note to an orange. And so one. It could be colors, it could be objects, Like a ball, a block, a bear, a cat, whatever. Once your mind sees the note, it will drive you to create that. Most pitchiness comes from not seeing the note in your mind.

And sing with a little more gut. Not a lot, just a little more. Like you want someone on the other side of the room to hear you.

And this is a good place to learn ideas and suggestions, so, you have come to the right place. Some people are harder to understand or don't have as much patience for beginners but that's okay. We all desire to do good, regardless of our personal problems.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Stick with this. Be a singer because you cannot think of not singing. It is a passion. Your passion and dedication will take you to where you want to go.

Bless your heart for the desire to sing. All of your singing in this sounds like falsetto. Perhaps you were singing too softly. Sing a bit louder. But while you are at it, you need to equate the pitch of the note to a physical feeling or a mental picture. I know what it's like to be 14 and broke. I was there once. Now, I am an old man and broke. The difference between us is 35 years. So, one can always expect to be broke, evidently.

:lol:

Broke means not having any spare money.

Anyway, listen to your own recording and hear the difference between the note in the music and the note in your voice. You are mostly flat, which means your pitch needs to rise.

One trick I came across is to listen to an instrument playing a note and link in your mind that note to a picture, like an apple. Link the next higher note to an orange. And so one. It could be colors, it could be objects, Like a ball, a block, a bear, a cat, whatever. Once your mind sees the note, it will drive you to create that. Most pitchiness comes from not seeing the note in your mind.

And sing with a little more gut. Not a lot, just a little more. Like you want someone on the other side of the room to hear you.

And this is a good place to learn ideas and suggestions, so, you have come to the right place. Some people are harder to understand or don't have as much patience for beginners but that's okay. We all desire to do good, regardless of our personal problems.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Stick with this. Be a singer because you cannot think of not singing. It is a passion. Your passion and dedication will take you to where you want to go.

Thank you so much, this really means a lot to me :)

I will try to sing louder and work on pitch and having a bit more gut.

Just one question, if I may ask: what do you mean by singing in falsetto and how do I stop doing it? I know what falsetto is, but the notes I sang aren't really so out of my range, and I can't sing a song with notes lower than the one I sang without straining. I really can't hit low notes....

And once again, thanks so much :)

It's when you are singing with too much air passing over the chords and not having a connection with the vocal chords..

think of it (without the volume), like WHISPERING... that is falsetto... YELLING at someone is full voice..

Cheers,

David.

David and Ron are correct. You are singing too soft (for now). When you sing quiet it is too easy to use falsetto even when you do not want to. Even in the lower parts you are singing in falsetto.

You need to sing at least as loud as you speak. While you are learning sing a little louder than you speak.

Do not give up. Sing along with your favorites songs and pretend that you are on the stage and you want the people in the last row to hear you.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

It's when you are singing with too much air passing over the chords and not having a connection with the vocal chords..

think of it (without the volume), like WHISPERING... that is falsetto... YELLING at someone is full voice..

Thank you for the help, I think I understand now :)

Is there any way to sing with less air passing over?

Imagine that you have a dog and the dog is getting ready to eat your food. You say "HEY! GET AWAY FROM MY FOOD" You do not whisper that do you? you are not quiet and soft are you? sing some scales with that kind of energy.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Imagine that you have a dog and the dog is getting ready to eat your food. You say "HEY! GET AWAY FROM MY FOOD" You do not whisper that do you? you are not quiet and soft are you? sing some scales with that kind of energy.

Ok, thanks so much :)

Do you mind seeing if I sang with a bit more energy? Even though it's a soft ballad

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=6054