What about those pesky vocal "breaks"??!!

Rate this topic

judyrodman

I have found that breaks have to do with improper natural support of the diaphragm and a lack of the muscular development that surround the cords and get them to stretch. If the muscles that control the cords are weak, if the diaphragm is weak, there can not be enough bracing tension between the two to sustain the one-register effect without the mechanism collapsing.

I teach some science -- in laymen's terms -- to get an intellectual understanding. But the mind alone can only take one so far. Learning, and true knowledge, can't be gained until one has learned from the PHYSICAL experience. This is when all the puzzle pieces come together.

All of us, as teachers, are basically trying to teach the same things. We just have different styles and different ways of wording things. But I have also found that words can easily be misperceived -- so finding the right ones are important.

I have been able to successfully bridge breaks when I teach my new method of how to engage the diaphragm. For my students as well as me, this tiny little thing (which I cannot give a way until this book I am currently writing is in my publisher's hands)has worked magically for those who have never been able to bridge before. But of course, it takes practice to learn how to break bad habits. Most teachers have discovered their own brand of a magical fix -- it's just a matter of finding one who you can connect with and understand

Practice on my end as a teacher includes exercises to strengten the muscle groups that control the cords, as well as my chosen diaphragmatic exercises. Once a student gets 'the hang of it', transferring to songs is easy since all I need to teach is how to focus and pronounce the consonants to get THEM to become the propelling mechanism rather than using the air and diaphragm alone (which occurs as you practice exercises on vowel sounds only).

To me it's an exciting journey because it is the one I've taken my own self on. I've learned so much that my passion is very great as a teacher. There isn't one student, from beginner to professional that I cannot identify with as they trudge this often frustrating journey. I've been there too. But with persistance, information, and good how-to instruction, it passes. The voice DOES bridge. It just takes working up the muscles that control the entire mechanism -- much like going to the gym to buff up and gain strength.