Please critique? I'm bummed and would like some advice?

• TMV World Legacy Member

No matter how I try, my singing comes out flat/off-tune~

But the thing is right after I record it, I can't tell at all. I have to wait like a few hours before. The problem is then it's harder for me to tell when I'm off-tune right when I'm singing. I mean, I can tell if I go off-tune by a lot, but I simply can't hear the less obvious deviations.

Also I know my voice is breathy, and I believe that's caused by "improper vocal cord closure"? Is there any way to improve that, like the best exercises?

Thanks so much!

I am not a teacher. I am just another person who sings. You are whispering. It is harder to stay on pitch when you are whispering. And it is bad for your voice.

Get louder. Like you are in charge of a group of people and it is your job to tell them what to do. When you sing you want everyone to hear you.

Even when someone is singing soft it is not the same as whispering. They sing softer compared to other parts in the song. But it is still louder than speaking voice.

I hope this helps. And if some one can explain what I am trying to say in a better way Please do.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I'll be the tough love guy, since I had earned the rep of being the "good job" softie.

Quit whispering. It is the worst thing you can do with your voice. Period, paragraph, new book.

STOP IT.

Sing out. Sing like you want someone on the other side of the room to hear you. If you want to be a singer then, to borrow an analogy from baseball, you need to step up to the plate and swing for the fences. And yes, you are going to hit some wrong notes then, too. But you are not going to get anywhere whispering.

Now, if you are young and trying to record while the family is asleep or you don't want to disturb them, make a choice. Are you a singer? Then sing. Even if you have to find a place. One of our best singers, Felipe, sometimes posts stuff recorded from his phone. Granted, not the best sound quality, but the point is, sing. I mean SING.

Sing because you cannot contemplate not singing. If your heart is not in it, it never will be. You decide.