Me singing Austin by Blake Shelton

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the whole singing thing and was wondering if I could get a little feedback on this video. I did it with the lights off because no one knows I sing, and it's going to stay that way until I get good ;) Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWcblzpMDAw

First, you have unnecessarily low self esteem - you sing just fine for what you are singing . No reason to sing with the light off. You have an affinity for singing country, and obviously you like it also. What are your aspirations?

www.drop-head.com

Man I would just love to be in a band someday. It doesn't have to be a huge band, just one that gets some attention. Obviously I would love to go all the way, but that lifestyle is only reserved for the best of the best, and I don't think I have "the gift" like some people do. I need to find somewhere to get some vocal training.

Thank goodness, J. I thought I was the only guy here who was not afraid to do country. If you want, I can email you the link to my cover of "Live Like You were Dying" by Tim McGraw. Granted, that's in the lower part of my range but I had fun with it.

Anyway. What makes you think your voice was not suited for this music or that bad? You were on pitch, perfect tonality for the song, good volume, great expression. That's singing, not just being a vocal technician.

Granted, you can get some vocal lessons and the main things that will be of advantage to you is warm-up and vocal care, which is to preserve the longetivity of your voice. You already have the right range and feel for this. And yes, let me tick off some other people. Sometimes a natural comes along. And that would be you. I condemn you to the fate of being the next "Blake Shelton."

Start writing your own stuff, though I know, from years of owning the albums, that many country singers do covers. And that's cool, too.

So, are you going to hold on to this "I'm not worthy" crap, or are you going to "man up"?

I am from Texas and I don't mind kicking your butt until you start taking your talent seriously. All in a day's work for me.

I will send you that link. If rock singer like me can sing country, a real country singer like you should be out there, singing at Gilley's for a percentage of the door receipts. Or even Poor David's Pub, if you want to start small.

And write your own stuff, too. One of my favorites is an old friend of my wife. Ray Wylie Hubbard. He wrote the song "Redneck Mothers." And he still does his own thing. Time for you to do the same.