Brett Manning's Mastering Mix

Rate this topic

Overdrive

Have any of you tried this? What do you think of it?

Brett Manning sure has an impressive repertoire of clients. When I heard the singer of Red talking about Mastering Mix and genuinely sounding like he used it all the time I had to give it a shot. I've only been doing it for two days so far.

Honestly the exercises are not bad but I think Singing Success in general is a sellout. They try and prove "shortcuts" which give singers the wrong mentality and end up hurting them. TVS on the otherhand acknowledges that there are no shortcuts and specifically addresses bridging and connecting. One thing that is a huge misconception is that Brett Manning and associates give off the idea that "dopeyness" and "pharnygeal" are different sounds.

The difference with TVS is that at some point during training you can do BOTH (larynx dampening & twanging) which imo is very cool. Truthfully nothing is inherently wrong with mastering mix and some of the exercises are very useful but it can't replace a foundation building routine and specific exercises or ideas found in a program like TVS.

Just remember the whole "tips and tricks" thing that singing success builds itself upon is NOT going to give you shortcuts... you need the *coughcough* foundations of a singer in order to become a better singer... not just tips and tricks.

Another thing that I dislike about Singing Success is it's FOUNDATIONS include vocal fry and lip bubbles.

Which if over-done or not done correctly can be horrible to the voice. How can you base your voice on lip bubbles which encourage serious airflow or vocal fry which is lack of airflow? Sounds like pulling the singer in opposite directions.

Get one program you really feel speaks to you and stick to it!!! :) Don't be afraid to mix in other exercises but never lose focus because another program is telling you to take a different approach.

Ss/sls dont only teach neutral, endgoal is curbing in the program...

In my experience (several years wasted on SLS) the end goal was curbing but all the exercises only ever took me to neutral. They said I was doing the exercises well but it was giving me a completely wrong impression about is needed to sing half/fullmetallic on higher pitches.

@geran89 if the voice could be built through liprolls then everyone would have a perfectly built voice. That is not the case. Now I don't mean to say f&$k lip rolls... but the idea that lip rolls as a magic pill often confuses and hinders the student's progress. Lip rolls DO encourage airflow... if you don't believe me sing a very quiet EE vowel, then lip roll it. If you used the same amount of air in both cases then good luck with Singing Success :lol:

I'm going to make this very clear for the Singing Success lip bubblers. The amount of air required to move the vocal folds is much less than the amount of air required to move the lips.

Lip rolls are a great TENSION RELIEVING exercise. Nothing more.

Www.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=SE#/watch?feature=related&v=tmweVT533hU :P

Ss has some good singers who trained with their coaches, sls also(like all good singers lol)

However the programs did not work for me

Www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU

My favourite Singer hasnt had Any training at all... :P still he has better technique Than well... Lets just say they didnt find à new vocalist when he quit...

Just because someone hasnt activley trained support doesnt mean that they lack it :p

I'm not a fan of SS, not a critic of it, either. It seems okay if you want to sing from your speaking voice. Which is not the path I follow.

However, Jay, you said that some of the principles of SS end up hurting singers and I wondered if you had examples of that.