what kind of bridging...

Rate this topic

MB20

I was just wondering what certain types of singers e.g. spencer sotelo, chad kroeger are doing as they bridge into their higher registers. It's that kind of sound where they don't have an apparent change to a mixed sound, but rather appear to become louder and more powerful. Is this an example of the overdrive mode? (if we're talking cvt)

In the video below, he is constantly hitting consecutive notes in the A4 area, but it sounds like more of a shout than singing.. I'm not sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUIBHmOwL9o

in this clip, the notes are very clean and big. Again, shouty? it doesn't sound like a natural vibrato could come out of this sound

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25229848/spencer%20un-tuned%20copy.mp3

i think the sounds they make are very cool though and would like to get more of an idea of how they are achieved.

the dropbox recording is so studio enhanced as to make analysis difficult.

nickeback is serious balls to the walls powerful singing. they're using one voice connected singing high up in their range.

the change is not one of registers, but more of resonance placement. this kind of singing is physically demanding and potentially risky if not done properly.

I was just wondering what certain types of singers e.g. spencer sotelo, chad kroeger are doing as they bridge into their higher registers. It's that kind of sound where they don't have an apparent change to a mixed sound, but rather appear to become louder and more powerful. Is this an example of the overdrive mode? (if we're talking cvt)

Yes. Very much a controlled shout but it ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT HURT OR STRESS YOUR VOICE WHEN DOING IT!!!!

Here's a quick video I did on my phone and you can see that I'm not stressing myself in anyway.

****Disclaimer: I cussed in this video, sorry about me sailor mouth. If a mod wants me to take it down let me know and I will.****

You need to have solid foundation meaning clean notes first before distorting. I actually find it makes high notes EASIER because I'm forced to twang more than I normally like to, so, go figure. I've always been a belter, but healthy distortion has taken me years to iron out.

Also, check out Jens's stuff, he's really hammered down this type of singing(meaning it didn't come naturally) and take some CVT lessons or hit Daniel Formica up or I think Rob teaches the distortion?(not sure about the belty stuff though, many people on forum would know better than me about that.)

Thanks guys...yall's be's very very kind :)

But even more important than that Eggplantbren:

is every time I see you post(either here or CVT forum) I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqbB8aPD1UU

Ginger Balls :P

Lol, thanks analog. Is that just because I live in New Zealand? Wouldn't want to think I reminded you of Murray. :)

New Zealand. You as Murray??? Never crossed my mind :D Bret of course.

and by the way, I went to your website a while back, and tried Googling some of what it is you do(you're very very smart,) and I swear to God I thought I heard Google laugh at me. (*auto edit*) Google.

Thanks for the ego boost analog! When people say things like that I like to refer to the things that they're better at compared to me. In your case it's rather obvious, I can't sing like in your awesome clip! All this singing technique stuff has only improved me from like 30th percentile at a karaoke night to 70th or so. :)

@Videohere - there's actually very minimal studio enhancement on that recording. He's an incredibly good singer!

@Analog - That was awesome! exactly the type of sound i'm shooting for. It's not so much the distortion element i'm after, but the power and cleanness of the sound. Can you give me some idea of what vocal setup and midset is when you're doing this? obviously a lot of practice (!) but what are you doing differently to achieve this sound?

@Videohere - there's actually very minimal studio enhancement on that recording. He's an incredibly good singer!

@Analog - That was awesome! exactly the type of sound i'm shooting for. It's not so much the distortion element i'm after, but the power and cleanness of the sound. Can you give me some idea of what vocal setup and midset is when you're doing this? obviously a lot of practice (!) but what are you doing differently to achieve this sound?

mb, no question he sings well but live can vary between a little to a huge difference, including key changes.

MB20,

this style of singing is full on so think lots of metal on notes, darker sound color(closed nasal port, high soft palate, strong bite, larynx as low as comfortable while still tuning the belt, lots of vertical jaw drop, smile with teeth. )

The distortion gives it a bit of aggressive bite, but maybe stopping just short of actual fvf will still give that compressed punchiness.

Up high, if he were to do it on an Ab4 like your video it would sound less belty. He retains a strong belty overtone but lightens the mass to keep it healthier, so there is a little less punch/girth/boom to it

It's different not healthier.

But his high distortion is some of the best I've heard though in terms of the overall sound. Much more pleasing to my ear than nickelback. I think with distortion the power comes from the grit itself, adding a ton of weight to that is kind of overkill.

Can't say that I entirely disagree with you, I mean everybody I know does a Nickleback impression. It's not called Constipation Rock for nothing :D But, I would NEVER and I mean NEVER try to impose my aesthetic ideals on somebody. Whether you or I or anybody on this forum likes something is irrelevant. It's all about what the individual singer wants. I've done Nickleback and Finger Eleven covers in the past. If you want to sound authentic and not like a hack, you better sing those with slight "overkill" in mind IMO.

MB20,

this style of singing is full on so think lots of metal on notes, darker sound color(closed nasal port, high soft palate, strong bite, larynx as low as comfortable while still tuning the belt, lots of vertical jaw drop, smile with teeth. )

The distortion gives it a bit of aggressive bite, but maybe stopping just short of actual fvf will still give that compressed punchiness.

It's different not healthier.

Can't say that I entirely disagree with you, I mean everybody I know does a Nickleback impression. It's not called Constipation Rock for nothing :D But, I would NEVER and I mean NEVER try to impose my aesthetic ideals on somebody. Whether you or I or anybody on this forum likes something is irrelevant. It's all about what the individual singer wants. I've done Nickleback and Finger Eleven covers in the past. If you want to sound authentic and not like a hack, you better sing those with slight "overkill" in mind IMO.

That, and you need the same stomp box that Chad has.

\m/