The Power of EE

Rate this topic

Hey all, in relation to the last threads I would like to share my experience with finding my "ideal" sound. Now keep in mind the music I train for is very "tenory" so when using the "uh" shadings it almost ruins the sound because unless the RESONANCE is correct the uh will create a dampened sound which may not be suitable for a certain song.

I would post a sample but I'm recovering from a cold so you guys can try this yourself. My biggest problems imo are breath support, cord closure, and REAL head resonance. The reason why I say this is because when approaching the higher resonance that beautiful buzzy chesty sound disappears... I can't FEEL resonance in head voice.

Now try this exercise in the head voice resonance (even if you dont feel it yet). Close your mouth, grin slightly, and keep the tiniest oo position of the mouth while maintaining a slight grin. Just say hee-ee-ee-ee like a witch and really focus on getting that ee to connect., make sure air is not rushing out of your nose. I think Owen was very right when he said to listen for the ABSENCE of wind.

When you're happy with your ee open your mouth to the Ah position without changing ANYTHING in your larynx, do not give-up the vibrance of your closed-mouth witchy EE.

Never in my life have I ever felt such a powerful sound in the upper register. Now I still have thousands of descending slides to do but if I could only apply that EE to the rest of my voice... I could almost taste seamlessness.

Now this may not be the sound you want, it definately has to be "refined" but that "power" I kept looking for from a top-down phonation... it DOES exist. And when I sing "uh" with the resonance of that specific EE I don't lose my natural voice quality (sheds a tear).

How has the EE vowel helped you and what are some effective ways to use it correctly? Please feel free to try the exercise I just mentioned and let me know how and if you felt the power of genuine head resonance.

Thanks in advance!! I hope this helps or at least encourages those struggling to "feel" the upper register.

JayMC.

I'll just wait until you get over your cold and hear a sound sample to hear what you are talking about.

EE as a formant can be good for some people. It helped me for a while. So does eh. I used to drop my tongue too much on uh. So I shifted to oo until that habit subsided.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing you on your vocalise.

It's coming ron lol! I think it's called an "ee" scream but I guess someone could tell me what mode I'm in (falsetto or true head voice) once I post a clip. We have snow and icy temperatures where I am so just give me couple days to sleep this off :lol:

The "ee" is really what gives you a feel for head resonance, just check out what I wrote about "oo", "ü" and "e" in Felipes video thread about head and chest resonance.

I think this video illustrates kind of the slides down you want to do, it is also based on "ee" and "uh".

Ajusment of the EE is crucial to the whole voice. If you try to use it seeking to make the sound more bright you will probably make it pointy and piercing, not the best situation for your health or for quality of production.

I dont advice doing this kind of thing alone... The EE depends on roundness as you describe.

How can I round the tone? The singers formant is crucial for me but even I know that if the tone is overly bright you sacrifice warmth of tone.

To put it simply, how can I eventually not sound like a chipmunk?

To all of you who are directing him away from this exercise, have you tried it? :)

It is one of the best exercises for highrange singing ever, and the best one ive come across so far. If id have to choose one singing exercise it would be this handsdown... Not Any tip by anyvocalcoach or Any lesson has given me as much as this exercise...

It's an exercise to strengthen the voice, you dont sing on it... Consider it like lipbubbles, you wont perform with it perhaps in the finalform if your singing above high c.

Edit: Jay you are clearly on to something, This is à great exercise. Go with your gut, you find something in your voice, you get great results. Results is what counts, if it feels good go with it.

There are other good exercises for getting round ee's... Let them handle how to build round singing ee's in the passagio C4-C5

even though i think i know what exercise you're doing, send over a sample, i'd like to hear it.

jens is right.....it's a great exercise. but from what i got from james lugo, you do not want to overdo this one.

plus be well warmed up.

"ee" is one of my favorite vowels because you can really grow the voice with it.

One word about Jay's ee thing, if you go from this ee to an open vowel without changing anything else, you may have a tendency to be quacky by hanging on to an elevated larynx. Which will sound powerful, especially to your ears (i have found more often than not through analyzing recordings of my practices that we are quackier in reality than we sound in our head), but it will lack beauty of tone.

Try to gradually lower the larynx and open the throat as you transition from the ee to the ah, without letting go of the twang much. It's cool to get the feeling of going from that tight ee right to the ah, it helps you get the feeling of twang as the foundation of tone, but ultimately, for the most tonally balanced phonation, neither twang nor lowered larynx should be that foundation, it should be both.

Yes, this really is the central point you have to take care of. It is important to decouple twang compression from your larynx position. So you want to do that EE-sound to get high compression/high larynx and then go towards "uh" and lower the larynx while keeping up the compression.

I think it's important to be aware that it's harder to twang with a lowered larynx. You can say that it is an antagonistic relation.

Yes that's true. But it gets even more messed up if you also start including the tongue in that mix. I have heard teachers that tell people to induce twang by positioning the back of the tongue in the region of the upper molars.

If you try to lower the larynx while inducing twang like that you get into serious trouble, because lowering the larynx usually includes dropping the jaw and because the tongue is tied to the jaw it also includes lowering the tongue. The conflict is obvious then. If you can only twang with the back of the tongue at the roof of your mouth you pretty much can't lower the larynx to it's full potential because the tongue can't go down that much.

Many singers try to compensate that by pushing the tongue further back into the mouth which kind of "presses" the larynx down, but this creates even more trouble and constrictions.

I'm still not sure about the rounding thing but I can "hear" that a lower timbre emerges when I drop my jaw more. But Daniel Formica's tip was helpful as always.

I'm still recovering but something that helped me was a modified version of one of my teachers exercises. She has a super-twangy voice naturally and trained was mentored by Vendera. She goes "Nyay" and slides down. My modification of this was I "hum" on the nnn for a couple seconds and really FEEL that resonance. Then I go "Nyay" like I'm happy and slide all the way down while RIDING the nnn buzz without letting air esecape from my nose.

It's a lot easier than the "Hee-ee-ee" which I'm working on. Does anyone have any input on the "ay vowel like "YAY!" ?

Are you guys talking about singing and ee vowel through your range or practicing the pharyngeal sound to build your voice. Which is like Jens said is just to build strength for when you sing, you are not going to sing in this coordination unless its a 80s heavy metal scream.:) Some do not need to work on this coordination its built in, some do

this stuff is very old very common. Lots of books from Caesari to Frissel etc.

Il record one tomorrow it's kindo late here in sweden ;)

Daniel I know youve got pharyngeal and most stuffs down regarding voicetechnique, but could you try this specific exercise for 2 weeks 5 min à day?

Im personaly intrested what happens on a voice as developed as yours if it's not to much to ask :)

Im gonna record an demo with an explenation on what you should think about when performing this.

To jens ive been doing that specific stuff out of "the voice of the mind" since i got the book in 2001

what happens is like anything else and hear me now LIKE ANYTHING IF YOU OVER DO IT AND THINK ITS THE ANSWER YOUR VOICE WILL BECOME OUT OF BALANCE!!!! was that loud enough:D

do it as part of your vocal regime and do it correct.

Ok let me rephrase my above sentence, cause my point clearly didnt come off.

I know you been doing all sorts of pharyngeal, ive know you mastered this. :) thats why i wrote " I know youve got pharyngeal down and most other stuff in regards to vocaltechnique"

Why i want you to try it out? Because I Wanna know what you think about this exercise in comparison to other pharyngeal exercises. Cause ive done many without results til i stumbled on this one wich got me results.

Will you feel Any diffrence or Will you go " meh got this shit down already"

5 min of this most people can handle without up their balance, and if you cant handle it you probably have a weakpoints pharyngeal just do 1-2 mins aday. Ofc this is individual...