Voice Getting Tired - Constant Uncontrollable Fry

Rate this topic

Overdrive

Is this normal? I am trying to strengthen my mix/head voice and after a bit, all the notes will turn to fry. No doubt this is a result of a tired voice. However, is this just what needs to be done to strengthen these muscles, or is this improper technique?

This happens to me when I am vocally tired, to me its a signal to take a break. Fry can be useful as an onset or stylistic technique but fry is also a growing epidemic. Personally I avoid it like the plague unless it comes out totally naturally.

Fry is useless in everything.. no need to sound like a dying lawn mower, hence that's why when you strain your voice, or it gets tired, it goes to crap - which is vocal fry.

take break, don't push so hard, and lower the volume of your exercises.

I don't continue to sing with the fry, I take a break. After like 15 minutes I was back to it though and managed to record this cover:

https://soundcloud.com/tmusician/taking-back-sunday-liar-1/s-FB0zI

It has effects and a bit of auto-tune, but can you determine technique flaws?

One of the side effects of giving up the Don Quixote quest to have baritone in my voice was to avoid fry. It is at the bottom of whatever range you have and since everything I want to sing is in the 4th and 5th octave, I have given up fry as much of a use for anything for me. Better to maintain proper tension for what I want to do.

But I can understand others wanting to use fry for various purposes.

As for unintentional fry, sounds like fatigue. Either general fatigue, singing when you are too tired. Or something you are doing is straining you and after a while the muscles say "phooey on you."

Not normal at all. Nothing should tire you to this point, fundaments not working. Probably support.

Well said, Felipe. I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. The muscles that control the folds get tired when faced with an unmitigated onslaught.

Control the expiration. Or, as I like to say, though I do have to concentrate to make the southern accent more prominent, "motion in the abs, when necessary." (corrollary, motion in the abs is necessary. It is not locked but must be mobile and agile.)

Almost wants to make me say that singing is work, though that word makes me shudder.

;)

(insert redneck smiley here)