The New Voice - Book recommendation

Rate this topic

D.Starr

The New Voice - How To Sing And Speak Properly by Alan Greene

Recently got back to reading it now I know a little more in way through singing.

I never advocate shoving fingers down throats etc but this is really helping me remove constrictions under my jaw and tongue.

I do say be careful and take things slow, you can cause yourself some extreme discomfort and injury.

Just thought it would help out.

"I never advocate shoving fingers down throats etc but this is really helping me remove constrictions under my jaw and tongue." --- Say What??? Shoving fingers down throats?

Is this really a method you have been using? Is it really a method that someone is teaching? Just sounds very odd to me...

Would love to hear more :)

"I never advocate shoving fingers down throats etc but this is really helping me remove constrictions under my jaw and tongue." --- Say What??? Shoving fingers down throats?

Is this really a method you have been using? Is it really a method that someone is teaching? Just sounds very odd to me...

Would love to hear more :)

I don't know if it came from this book or not but I have read about placing your finger on you tongue and feeling for tension. allow your tongue to relax. when you feel it relax move your finger back at little farther feeling for more tension. When you feel it relax move you finger back a little farther.......All the way to the root.

You will also need to learn to deal with the urge to gag. But you will find out how far open the back of the mouth can really open.

Find the book that describes this before you try it, Because describing things properly is not one of my strong points.

hehehe I saw a video of Alfredo Kraus sticking his fingers in a student mouth to make her smile a bit on a vowel, but down the throat is news to me :).

Cant it be done externaly?

I didn't invent it. I just read about it. I've read a lot of stupid things.

Any way it is supposed to help a person relax his tongue and release constrictions in it.

This is how I got so screwed up if you have been wondering. Many other ..... ways to help keep proper postures.

d, i've read that excellent book. it's very unique in that it teaches you to build strength before you even attempt to exercise.

the fingers down the throat is to get you to a point where you no longer initiate an involuntary gag reflex. he's big on this whole configuring the vocal tract to a specific, ideal, shape which i believe helped me greatly.

great read.

Ok by throat I just meant mouth in general. Should have worded it better, sorry.

It has you running your finger, or tracing a line, down your tongue only stopping if the tongue begins to tense up. It's hard to describe but as MDEW says it must remain relaxed. As you get further you should be able to touch the root of the tongue and it remain relaxed.

It's helped me out a lot over this last week.

The other exercise it has involves the raphe of the mylohyoid muscle.

While in the subject of Vocal training books, I came up on 2 books by Anne Peckham, which are oddly enough approx $20 together. I said what the hell and purchased them. Mind you, these books are the text books for Vocal training at The Berklee School of Music.

Anyways, reading through it, it seems to have very good exercises, warmups, and excellent descriptions.

The names of the books are:

1) The Contemporary Singer (2nd edition) [berklee Press]

2) Vocal Workouts for the Contemporary singer [berklee Press]

Both came with a CD which was a huge suprise for being so cheap. :)

Anyone had any experience or knows these publications?

I love Anne Peckham's book.

I use her vocal workout from "The Contemporary Singer" 6 days a week.

Mon-Wed-Fri I do the high voice workout.

Tues-Thu-Sat I do the low voice workout.

On Sunday I rest.

For people that don't have a daily regime, I'd defintely recommend the vocal workout from "The Contemporary Singer".

Just do the warmup and workout. Afterwards, work on whatever.

I don't use the other book much. For $20, it's an amazing deal. Maybe the best vocal workout you can find for 20 bucks.

"Singing Exercises for Dummies" is another good book. I'd say it's the perfect companion.

The book covers all areas of singing (breathing, posture, resonance, diction, etc).

So use Peckham's book for a vocal workout, take a short rest, and then Singing

Exercises for Dummies to work on other aspects of your voice. Afterwards, you can work on songs.

Well, you don't have to follow that order. Just a suggestion.

Cham Cham.

Here is something i noticed.... At least in my $20 one... (AMAZON by the way)

Listening to the HIgh and Low exercise versions, they sound 1 to 1 exactly the same which is kind of weird.. Why would they call it High and Low if its the same? Am I missing something?

Cham Cham.

Here is something i noticed.... At least in my $20 one... (AMAZON by the way)

Listening to the HIgh and Low exercise versions, they sound 1 to 1 exactly the same which is kind of weird.. Why would they call it High and Low if its the same? Am I missing something?

Some people do not realise you can use the same scale for different exercises. A five tone scale is a five tone scale weather you are trainging high voice or low voice, twang or projection. You can use just one recording of a scale that ascends and descends by half steps. Maybe have it start at G2 and end at g5 and loop it and do most of your exercises.

Some people do not realise you can use the same scale for different exercises. A five tone scale is a five tone scale weather you are trainging high voice or low voice, twang or projection. You can use just one recording of a scale that ascends and descends by half steps. Maybe have it start at G2 and end at g5 and loop it and do most of your exercises.

Hey Bro,

No. I understand what you mean. Like Lunte's excercises that you can go down an octave and continue on the melody. Its not what I mean.

I mean, that there is a singer singing the exercise, and in both tracks, he sings the same. In fact, it is sounds exactly like the same track :)

Hey Bro,

No. I understand what you mean. Like Lunte's excercises that you can go down an octave and continue on the melody. Its not what I mean.

I mean, that there is a singer singing the exercise, and in both tracks, he sings the same. In fact, it is sounds exactly like the same track :)

I misunderstood. Maybe that's why it was $20.

I misunderstood. Maybe that's why it was $20.

Na... I am pretty positive that I am not understanding something. As I mentioned, they use this as a textbook at the Berklee Music Institute, and it has Berklee Pres written on it. Can't be something bad ;)

Those books sound interesting Gilad - do they talk about the male passagio and bridging into head voice? Is it operatic training? Do the singers that sing the exercises sound pretty good?

Hey Geno! How have you been bro? :)

Sifting through it right now, I can tell you it talks about the Vocal registers and blending , Yodeling oddly enough :), and Range & placement.

As I said, didn't delve to deep into it yet, as I am committed to the four pillars, but peeking here and there, and taking some cool down exercises from it at the moment. It seems like a must have in any vocalist library if you know what I mean.

Oh.

And the singers doing the exercise sound accurate right on, and professional. Some of the stuff in those exercises aren't easy.

To quote one of the exercises:

Dah_____________ bah dah _ dah____ Dah Bah_ Dah Dah bah Dah__________ bah dah___ bah___ dah ___

:)