Singing at home vs rehearsing with band on stage

Rate this topic

Saijinkai

HI, I'm performing tomorrow on stage with my band at this venue, where the people taking care of the mixer board are just crap, plus the stage is also not well equipped. (2 little wedges) .

When I practice on my own, it's almost flawless. But when we rehearse, I choke on the high notes and even the lower notes become strained. Then I realized that I had a hard time hearing myself. The bassist volume is overpowering me on one side.

I wonder what is the remedy since I can't use an in ear monitor?

Would putting an Earplug on the side where the drum and bassist are help?

If you gonna use ear plugs, better use on both ears. Cant you at least try it somehow before doing it live? In my experience its never a good idea to try this stuff live. I had some weird pitch problems when I first used in-ear monitoring, I dunno if the ear plug can cause the same effect.

My best advice is dont focus on hearing yourself. Focus on the sensations of singing.

Really a bit late to worry now isnt it? hahaha. But anyways, at least resist the urge to go loud. And Id get used to poor monitoring, without in-ear plugs it will be a very common situation.

My best advice is dont focus on hearing yourself. Focus on the sensations of singing.

Basically this. What I can recommend for home use is to use earphones and have a quite loud backing track on your ears. This simulates to some extend a bad-monitoring situation where your main feedback will be in terms of sensations or "feeling" and not in terms of hearing yourself.

We finished performing. It was a great success.

I got into the zone and forgot about everything else, but what I realized also is that when I'm in the zone, a lot of the good techniques I know go out of the window. I think it's also because of nerves.

I have a lot to learn.

Well, there is a difference between practice and actual performance. In performance, you do not want to be thinking of technique, as it will trip you up. Technique is for practice until it becomes a habit that you don't have to think about.

But yeah, otherwise, if you can't hear yourself, you will end up pushing to hard. So, like Felipe said, you will have to sing by feel until you get some better monitoring. So, in rehearsal, concentrate more on the physical sensations, for that might be your only guide at show time.

And definitely get some earplugs. They make different levels of dB decrease. Even when I mow the lawn, I wear construction level plugs that knock down 30 dB. I can still hear things but it cuts down on the volume of the lawn mower, which is a simple 1 cylinder 4-stroke with a short baffle in the muffler.

Yea, during my shows, I go into a zone and sometimes, bad habits come back, which tells me I need more and more practice so it doesn't happen anymore.

Hmm... singing by feel is something I need to develop I think... what's a good way to practice this?

Yea, during my shows, I go into a zone and sometimes, bad habits come back, which tells me I need more and more practice so it doesn't happen anymore.

Hmm... singing by feel is something I need to develop I think... what's a good way to practice this?

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice, practice, practice.

I had me a "Bob" moment there. But I didn't quite get the NYC accent, though. Oh well, no one's perfect ....