How on earth does he do this?

Rate this topic

Keith

Is it the high notes or the tone. In the songs that I have heard you sing the only thing missing tone wise was the proper reverb. And that had nothing to do with your tone or technique.

Do not sell your soul. It is worth more than a few more high notes.

Actually, the guy sounds quite a bit like you, Keith. Same velvety texture, same wide, lucious vibrato.

His high notes are more focused than yours. Yes, it does require a deal with the Devil.

I will email you a copy of the contract.

\m/

Im not actualy impressed by khans early material :P atleast not since ive heard the black halo wich in My mind is perfection. I mean in the early days he's just your average skilled metalsinger.

then later when his mind started to get to him, he got to a level of emotion few singers get to have. Im so envious of that, it's so sad but still so beautiful and perfect

@Jens - Yeah, he undertook some kind of transfomation between CD releases lol. It's like he turned into a whole different monster. However, he had more power and control in his early stuff.

@Remy - I can only hold back air until about B4. After that, I do not have the control to do it anymore. yet.. lol

@Remy - I can only hold back air until about B4. After that, I do not have the control to do it anymore. yet.. lol

Keith: If this is the case, then what is getting out of balance is the relationship of the resonance, the registration, and the breath. If the resonance and the breath are not right, the registration cannot be maintained.

So, go back to some soft, twangy 2-octave siren exercises on UH (as in Up) and maintain your sense of abdominal expansion so that the absolute minimum of exhalation is occurring. Oh, its useful to revisit what chest motion is occurring, too. If you are letting the sternum fall during the note, then that air is not under diaphragmatic management... and it can be the subtle source of the extra, unwanted breath.

I hope this is helpful.

Could someone post a clip of what a twangy "uh" sounds like..

Keith, I will let someone else do that. However, it does not have to start as Uh. If the issue involves maintaining twang, then pick your twangiest vowel for the siren at the bottom, and then morph it to UH on the top, keeping the twang.

If you are losing the twang, then that is part of the problem in maintaining the registration. Twang is part of the resonance set-up that makes this range keep the meaty sound.

Ride the twang dude!

@Jens - Yeah, he undertook some kind of transfomation between CD releases lol. It's like he turned into a whole different monster. However, he had more power and control in his early stuff.

I heard he got psychilogical problems :P yeah powerplay and control is topnotch in this, but man when he Sings abandoned... Chilis... Chilis :p

Robert.. dude... you are a trip to watch man.. lol.. Sooo animated... haha..

I get what you are doing with the physical representation of "body sign language", but crap.. you're like a cartoon character.. haha...

With that said though, you do make sense and your information is correct that you are projecting... so god speed man...

God I feel like such an idiot. I came on here a while ago whining about not being able to get up to A4. Things have been a bit busy for me so I've been putting off purchasing a training program since I probably wasn't going to have time to use it for a while anyway. But that's besides the point...

I've been completely ignoring vowel modification because I'm an uneducated stubborn dick and assumed it was a style thing, and after watching that Lunte video and doing a few sirens, I was able to sing my first completely unstressed A4 lyric. It was a bit loud but I don't even feel like I've been singing now, my voice is completely fresh. I also think I understand support now.

Long story short I feel like vowel modification is really really important now, and something worth really working on...

Yes, that vowel modification is really important up there. However, at least for me, there seems to be a point, where keeping up that 'uh'-shading is really straining.

Maybe this has to do with my "not able to keep up full voice past G#4"-problem, but pretty much at A4 I have to modify towards "ay" just like Robert says in that video posted above.

A4 is also the point where I can't keep up my full voice, I almost automatically am driven into twang-enhanced falsetto or "pure headvoice" there. If I try to force an 'uh'-shading at A4 it feels like I am still in twang-enhanced falsetto, but in addition to that, the part of the folds that produces the full voice is "overblown" and creates some kind of distortion, but is not vibrating in a usual full voice way. This also feels really straining.

So aside from my story what I am trying to say is: Don't focus too much on the 'uh' on the high notes because there will be a point where you have to modify more towards 'ay' just like Rob says in the video.

Yeah I shaded towards the ay with my A4 just like he said, I couldn't get it with uh. It didn't sound too ridiculous though. I'm not gonna try to go any higher for at least a while, not until I'm consistently singing A, considering that's pretty much been my goal anyway. Hopefully tonight wasn't a fluke!

you can also tweak it just a little more narrow and shade from "uh" (as in "up") to "oo" (as in "look")..that narrower throat shape (vowel, a vowel is a throat shape) supported might be just what you need to release some more tension and send it up.

try it go from "uh" to "oo" (as in "book"...not boot)

feel the narrowing to the throat?

..feel the resonance shift as you feel more release of tension?

The "oo" sound worked too, but I felt like I was getting more resonance (or I guess the ringing) with the uh sound, at least up to G#4. I have to say though that in a span of 24 hours I've gone from straining (and often missing it) for G#4 to a completely unstressed feeling. I was just singing a few songs and I was doing back to back G#4s on short breath takes, which is something I've never - ever - been able to do. And also all of a sudden I'm feeling the support in my diaphragm, the ringing sensation, everything that I was looking for before. I never realized how much tension was in my throat. I'm pretty excited, hopefully I can keep getting that A4 as well since that really has been my goal for the last year or so.

yes you can narrow towards "oo" as in "boot" too but "oo" is a little tricky to control at first.

glad it helped?

when i stopped thinking as vowels as having to do with language and elements of speech and word making...and more as throat shapes or configurations for breath flow, and consonants as breath interurptions (blockages)it helped me so much.

Long story short I feel like vowel modification is really really important now, and something worth really working on...

Verily, I say unto thee, each voice is different and tunes a little differently. Some disagree with me on that so I feel I must state it, again.

Follow me on the "yehlla brehck rahd." - the stairway to heaven is vowels. Let the vowels be your friend.

Experiment and find which vowel or vowel shades rings your head like a bell.

yes, but experimentation is key to get it right for your particular voice.

subtle shades based off these vowels/throat shapes...

if you have good support, you can go up to a high note like a c5..... hold it up there for a few seconds, while you shift the resonance and tweak it like tuning in an old transitor radio with an analog tuner.

but be advised if you hit that pocket just right with a constant sound wave pressure the loudness (resonance peak) will surprise you...plus you'll just know it's right where it needs to be because with that resonance peak comes a subtle release and the notes "feel taller."