Safest Way To Strengthen Falsetto

Rate this topic

Hey all, my last thread was about the witches cackle exercise, the quacky sounding hee-ee-ee. I am aware now that this can lead to a super-twangy compressed head voice which is not the finished product for most people.

What are some safe and effective ways to strengthen this musculature? I don't mind spending a lot of time developing this musculature, I know there's no quick fix to get from a airy falsetto to the true head voice. Currently I am only using the witches hee-ee-ee about 5 minutes a day or less... primarily to experience closure and resonance. Other than that I am koo-ing and making funny humming sounds in falsetto.

Is there anything else I can do to srengthen falsetto and the supporting muscles involved? One big discovery for me is that if I hammer away at falsetto exercises (in falsetto for 20mins +) then the quality starts deterioration rapidly.

A better approach I have found is to do it in short bursts and include more variation.

What can I do to help strengthen and develop my ability to co-ordinate the head voice mechanism? I mean total flexibility in this area not just the ability to produce the sound. I really want to give my falsetto range the attention it deserves even if it takes months or years. I'd rather do slightly safer exercises than hee-ee-ee-ing all day until I sound like a duck up there :lol: Something that really inspired me recently is one of my favorite youtube artist who is a countertenor with no audible shift from chest voice to head voice. I messaged him and asked him how he could so effortlessly sing those highnotes. To my surprise he replied very quickly and said "exercises up high so I can maintain strength in my upper register!"

Not giving up on my connected head voice journey anytime soon! I too want to be able to transition easily and flexibly into my upper-register.

Hope some one can contribute useful tips!! Also feel free to share your journey from falsetto to a developed head voice! Since many members of the forum struggle with this I hope some info can be shared on how to improve falsetto in terms of: closure, resonance, ease of production, and ability to blend into chest. I know there is not just "ONE exercise" to do this... so I hope someone can share what has worked for them without too much risk of injury ;) Hee-hee-hee!

- JayMC

as i said many times before, descending falsetto slides on "oo" and "ee" helped me a great deal.

months later the other vowels (recommended by anthony frisell).

1000's of them

as you descend stay in a lifted head voice configuration, as opposed to connecting back into chest. you teach the voice to stay lifted.

but remember the foundation, the runway (as dave brooks calls it) is still strength building exercises on sounds like may, nuh, aw, wuh, and all that. full voice slides, etc. crying, leaning...etc.

You put it quite beautifully videohere lol! The combination of strength and finesse weaved through my entire voice is definitely my goal... and to woo girls.

One thing I find tricky though is... as I'm trying to achieve good closure and support and keep from sounding airy its very difficult to find head resonance. Before I couldn't feel anything at all but its slowly very slowly starting to buzz and echo in my head. Are there any good exercise to develop a physical resonance for head voice?

jay, it's hard to properly explain on a forum....but there are going to have to be days where you lean into the voice to acquire strength.

the best way i can explain this is to pick a sound like "may" and do a simple 5-tone scale, strongly, support well, and just pretend there is no pasaggio...no registers, no head voice, chest voice...just run up the scale (strongly) on "may." go as high as possible and as strong as possible.....don't worry about transitions, or lightening, or shifting, none of that....on this version...

start strong and end as strong. may, may, may ,may, may, may. up 1/2 step repeat...do not try to do anything, don't manipulate anything. to get the placement right, beforehand, it may help to "ng" then release into "may."

not being a wise ass, but don't wimp out, stay strong, the "may" sound should be intentionally bratty and bright sounding focus it forward. don't care about how it sounds..it is not to sound good.....every other day, try this.

go as high as possble, don't overdo it, but more importantly don't underdo it!

this is a strength building exercise, you want to it bright!

so one more time:

start strong and end strong

don't care how it sounds

get the placement with a "ng"

How to strengthen falsetto -

Listen to Mercyful Fate. By the way, King Diamond lives in Dallas, though I have yet to meet him and could pass him on the road, easily. He keeps his hair short, is a little bit gray, and wears a ball cap, like 90 percent of the guys in Dallas. Anyway, find the mic and gear that he uses.

Anyway, listen to Bob. With one level of air pressure and lowered soft palate, it is falsetto. Try retracting or lifting the soft palate and, as Bob says, lean into it.

Of course, a sound sample is out of the question. I just don't understand how you can work your voice every day, as it sounds like in these threads, yet you are suffering from an endless cold and can't put up a sound sample.

Then, again, there are many things I don't understand.