LEMUR VOICE's SINGER! - The Beauty of Light Mass & Bridging Early

Rate this topic

Robert Lunte

• Administrator

Hey guys...

At TVS we train students to bridge early and later. There are benefits to both and as a well rounded vocalist, you need to understand the benefits of both approaches and the risks as well. This information is explained in my training system, "The Four Pillars of Singing", but I don't want to get into the details at the moment... I just wanted to share this video with you of a vocalist from The Netherlands that used to sing for a band called "Lemur Voice"... I always loved this guy's singing and I think it is a good example of what we call 'light mass' singing in TVS and primarily, early bridging. Enjoy.

I concur, what a voice! Gotta be head voice up there but it sure doesnt sound like it. He pulls out some wondrous vowels at times, all ringy but full bodied (sounds like a wine description, heh).

What's up with the high mic position ? To catch a ringin mask I'm guessing ? I'm a guitar monkey so I'm guilty of a low mic most the time. Should I reconsider ? Hmmm.

• Administrator

Bob, its a valid question, but I think by the tone and the mass and just experienced ears, it sounds like less pull on the M1 musculature... this is more similar to how my voice responds I think, so I can kind of "feel" the sound in a way... they did two albums and they are both really great vocals on them... the guitarist went on to front a band called "Sun Caged" which also has a great singer... for you proggers out there.

Robert and Videohere are both right lol!

For a lighter voice, they can sometimes deceive you into thinking they are doing early-bridging but actually employing the heavier mechanism of their voice. Similarly a heavier voice can trick you into thinking they are bridging late when they are actually bridging early!!!

One voice over everything though ;D

What's up with the high mic position ? To catch a ringin mask I'm guessing ? I'm a guitar monkey so I'm guilty of a low mic most the time. Should I reconsider ? Hmmm.

Yes, you should reconsider. One book I read on recording said that a mic for vocals should be placed at an angle, even with the bridge of the nose. And the singer should avoid looking up to the mic.

• 1 month later...

What is all this thing with early bridging ? Where do you exactly implying that the singer bridges? Around..what?

That is kind of interesting, cause when I sing high, I sound somewhat like him, maybe, I am talking above G4.. but I never considered it valid... and started learning the whole mixing stuff.. with chest in my high notes.. so when I do the head voice I add the chest UP... ? I've been doing wrong all this time? so is that what you refer as belting .. ? Holu mama mia.. what have I done..

• Administrator

You can train the voice to bridge later or earlier... Both approaches are perfectly valid, they are just two different approaches. At TVS we train and have specialized onsets and techniques that train students BOTH, EARLY AND LATE BRIDGING TECHNIQUES...

... in spite of the fact that there is on other prominent teacher in the business that seems to keep telling people otherwise. This is wrong and is misleading students... Again, TVS has very specifically defined onsets, and techniques to handle both approaches.

What is all this thing with early bridging ? Where do you exactly implying that the singer bridges? Around..what?

That is kind of interesting, cause when I sing high, I sound somewhat like him, maybe, I am talking above G4.. but I never considered it valid... and started learning the whole mixing stuff.. with chest in my high notes.. so when I do the head voice I add the chest UP... ? I've been doing wrong all this time? so is that what you refer as belting .. ? Holu mama mia.. what have I done..

Here's an example of someone bridging early, on a very challenging song. Not many have the chutzpah to try this song. And no, it's not me.

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/ebf8ef7460f93ccbeca8

like rob said...both ways (early or late) are valid when done correctly. both have their advantages and disadvantages all very much depending on the sound you are going for, etc.

i happen to go for no bridge, because when i think "bridge" it makes me think i have to go over something, and even if i am technically going over something or in and out of something, or from something to something else...

i don't want to think of it that way. one voice.

i don't want to think of it that way. one voice.

I have to agree with Bob. In spite of my having been supportive of 4 Pillars, I don't think of bridging, either. I think of one voice.

Your mileage may vary.