Support!

Rate this topic

johndavis

I don't understand what lower support is?!

Is it contracting the abs?

Pulling the rectum in?

And as you sing, should you make the stomach go in slowly. Orr do you just let it be and let it naturally go in as you sing?

Lastly, is vocal fry something you should do while singing? It sounds bad?

Use the search function there are tons of threads on support. To me it felt confusing at first because some people say use your abs, use your sides, use your lower back. Frankly, I have felt it in all places.

Why? Because support is dynamic. I focus solely on the column of air directly beneasth the larynx and let me ENTIRE TORSO do what it needs to do to produce the note. Keeping in mind that the higher you go the less air you need... but the pressure increases. Kind of like a teapot... the stream of air narrows and becomes quicker.

A good way to feel support is something Videohere mentioned once before.... take a nice sigh and release all the air you have in a controlled fashion. Then say something, anything... "HEY, WHERE'S MY SUPPORT!??". How could you possibly say a phrase without any air? THAT is support my friend. Maximizing the efficiency of air used at the larynx while maintaining beauty of tone.

Vocal fry hurt me more than helped me so I don't use it, if vocal fry helps your voice connect feel free to use it =) However if it's hurting you stop!!

John... it's like pushing down when you have to poop. Keep that pushing down sensation slightly when singing all the time - this gives you the support... Push down hard on it (Stomach goes out - don't suck it in), when you reach higher notes..

Use the search function there are tons of threads on support. To me it felt confusing at first because some people say use your abs, use your sides, use your lower back. Frankly, I have felt it in all places.

Why? Because support is dynamic. I focus solely on the column of air directly beneasth the larynx and let me ENTIRE TORSO do what it needs to do to produce the note. Keeping in mind that the higher you go the less air you need... but the pressure increases. Kind of like a teapot... the stream of air narrows and becomes quicker.

A good way to feel support is something Videohere mentioned once before.... take a nice sigh and release all the air you have in a controlled fashion. Then say something, anything... "HEY, WHERE'S MY SUPPORT!??". How could you possibly say a phrase without any air? THAT is support my friend. Maximizing the efficiency of air used at the larynx while maintaining beauty of tone.

Vocal fry hurt me more than helped me so I don't use it, if vocal fry helps your voice connect feel free to use it =) However if it's hurting you stop!!

Are there any singers that sing with vocal fry. It sounds really croaky and bad when I sing with vocal fry.

So support is pushing down the upper abs with the stomach contracted?

And is pulling in the rectum incorrect?

Some singers use a bit of vocal fry for expression. Britney Spears over does it. It's not my cup of tea!

Simply explained, support is controlling the exhalation (breath out) As you take a deep and low breath in, keep that feeling of expansion / holding back the breath / buoyancy as you breathe out. Don't let all the air rush out at once. I prefer to use the term breath control instead of support. It makes more sense to me

Some singers use a bit of vocal fry for expression. Britney Spears over does it. It's not my cup of tea!

Simply explained, support is controlling the exhalation (breath out) As you take a deep and low breath in, keep that feeling of expansion / holding back the breath / buoyancy as you breathe out. Don't let all the air rush out at once. I prefer to use the term breath control instead of support. It makes more sense to me

So should you make/control the stomach go in slowly. Or do you just stick it out and sing.

you let the stomach come in on it's own, you do not suck it in... your stomach sticks out when you take a breath and goes back in when you exhale naturally.. .. don't breath with your chest - breath with your stomach...

you let the stomach come in on it's own, you do not suck it in... your stomach sticks out when you take a breath and goes back in when you exhale naturally.. .. don't breath with your chest - breath with your stomach...

Alright, Thank you.

Is that all I need to do?

Flexing the abs and pulling the rectum in/squeezing the glutes is wrong?