Smoke machine affecting my voice. Remedies please!

Rate this topic

castortroy78

Hi,

I'm a professional singer involved with quite a few large scale concert and television show productions.

I have discovered that the smoke machines used in these environments for lighting effects are making me lose my voice.

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this and if so if there are remedies (herbal or pharmaceutical) that have helped.

It's incredibly frustrating, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

Reminds me of the concert for Ozzy Osbourne's 50th birthday party. Sharon hired a bubble machine and he showed up for rehearsal and they had the bubbles going. He got a little perturbed.

"I'm the %(^&* Prince of %#$@ Darkness! Turn off the %($##$) bubble machine!"

I don't know how to help you except that maybe you should talk to the producers of the show to use less smoke during your performance. Your manager should be taking care of this.

Had an appointment with the throat doctor this week, talked at length about smoke machines etc.

No solutions other than to be aware of the problem and hydrate as much as possible apparently.

We soldier on!

So, since the producers won't back off the smoke machine, make them buy all the water you can stand to drink.

That probably won't work, either.

Good luck, anyway.