Head voice and Falsetto? Or both? (sound examples)

Rate this topic

Nick

Hello,

I know this is a beaten-to-death topic, but I'm wondering about what to call what I'm doing (I think it's a bad idea to keep studying if my terminology is wrong)

I included a sound sample, the first sentence is always what I consider Head voice, second sentence what I thought, until recent, to be Falsetto. I repeat 3 times.

FYI, I don't like the sound of the second parts and rarely it, way too pharyngeal and whiny.

https://soundcloud.com/pistolhead/headvoice-falsetto

Cheers!

Nick

nick, just taking the two for what they are, sense which one empties you out of air the fastest.

head voice has a charateristic of consistent fold adduction. falsetto is incomplete or inconsistent fold adduction.

head voice will have the connection to give you something to lean into and support against.

the airy, breathy, flutey ones aren't going to cut it live. but a connected fold head tone no matter how light or firm will carry because it can generate stronger sound waves.

a song like this sung with too mush falsetto will dry you out because so much air is allowed to blow past the folds.

work towards keeping the connection, connected.

Thank you for the replies!

I already figured it was falsetto, but I read something a while ago that you can't go into falsetto while doing lip rolls, and when I do lip rolls this is the register I seem to be in, so I got a bit confused. It is so though that my throat does dry up quickly when singing in this mode, though less if I use more pharyngeal (though it doesn't sound better). Anyway, I just wanted to be sure so I wouldn't make any mistakes. Thanks

Thank you for the replies!

I already figured it was falsetto, but I read something a while ago that you can't go into falsetto while doing lip rolls, and when I do lip rolls this is the register I seem to be in, so I got a bit confused. It is so though that my throat does dry up quickly when singing in this mode, though less if I use more pharyngeal (though it doesn't sound better). Anyway, I just wanted to be sure so I wouldn't make any mistakes. Thanks

Falsetto is a tone and I think it is separate from any lip bubbles you can do.