Finding artists with a similar tone to mine

Rate this topic

Hanalei

I just joined this forum, so I apologize if this isn't in quite the right place. :) When I asked someone about emulating a little bit of certain artists, I was told that you have to have the same tone as them to get anything near their sound. I searched online, but I can't find anything that really explains what tone is, so I have absolutely no idea if I have a similar tone to anyone. I'm very new to the world of singing - in fact, still working on getting over my fear of it - so I'm sure this is a very basic question for you guys...

No you dont have to have the same basic tone, if you mimic someone you Will pick up qualities from their voice.

Its as simple as that, originality as finding à niesche sure, but by nature our voices are mimiced.

Ofc the physique and and size of your instrument matters, but alot can be done with correct techniques.

How would you sing if you was raised in italy?russia?Afrika? Danish? So many things about your voice would be diffrent, completly diffrent vowelsounds, dialects just within à language can have huge inpact on your singing.

À great example, the deepest voices are found as far north as you can get( doesnt apply to america and that part of the world due to immigration)

À population who Lived long in cold climates, speak at à lower pitches and uses less words for the same things cause it's more economical for the voice and our bodies.

Dialects within à language is formed from that, for instance im from the north of Sweden Both guys and girls speak in à lower pitch there Than in the southern parts of sweden

tone basically means the sound of your voice when you sing or speak. Some people have a deep low voice. Some have a High voice. Some ways of describing tone are smooth,raspy,low, high,gritty,nasally, woofy, Basically the sound of your voice.

Hanalei, I don't think you were worried about matching range. I think you are talking the actual tone of the voice, regardless of the range or what pitch you happen to be singing.

Most every source I have read on singing points out that every voice is different, mainly because of the exact shape of tissues in your body that is the result of genetics. The only person to disagree with that is Jens, which, of course, makes him unique (yes, I said that in my outside voice.)

He's right about dialect and language effecting where you start out at. However, growing up around a bass will not make you a bass, unless you already have the physical structures of a bass. I grew up around a bass and have never been able to sing or speak bass, though I tried. I've tried more often, to sing and speak like a baritone, sucked at that, too.

As for the exact tone of voice, you cannot truly sound like someone else though, like Jens said, I think, you can get really close. That often involves learning a distortion technique that may or may not actually be used by the artist you are mimicking but will be needed for you to make that sound.

For example, Steven Tyler has a UNIQUE sound because of a genetic defect in his vocal folds. Another singer could sound a lot like him if they could find a rasp or distortion technique that approximates that sound but it would not necessarily be a technique Tyler would use because he doesn't need to. The distortion is already in the sound production coming from his folds. Tyler really is singing open and resonant, as any good singer should be doing.

I used to wonder who it is that I might naturally sound like. Though I love to sing Led Zep stuff, I have been told more often by a few others not connected with this forum that I sound most often like Glenn Hughes. I can hear some tonal differences but I could say that we have similar types of voice, though coming from different countries. I was born in Los Angeles, California, and Glenn Hughes is from the Midlands of England. He's about 5'6" and I am 6'6". I weigh about 16 stone, and he weighs about half of that. Or, to put it another way, I am twice as big as he is, yet we sound similar.

Chris Cornell, on the other had, or even Corey Taylor, and certainly country singers Toby Keith and Trace Adkins are my height and we sound nothing like each other.

There is one vocal coach that puts up videos of how to sing like this or that singer. And that is Ken Tamplin. In fact, just about all of his sample videos are about singing like some singer you admire. So, check him out.

Great post! I'm not worried about sounding just like anyone else, becuase like you mentioned, everyone's voice is different and unique. Yes, you're right, I'm talking about more just the sound of the voice than range, I guess. There are a few singers who I'd love to sound similar to (not the same, but more picking up some of the qualities of their voices that I don't have), but I don't know if I could. I'm an 18-year-old girl, but my favorite artists are pretty much all 50 year old guys (now), so I know I'd obviously never sound too much like them. :P I'm more just interested in picking up certain aspects of their voices. And I'll check out that guy you mentioned.

Then another related question: When you spend a lot of time listening to particular artists - whether it's growing up or a more recent find - do you naturally pick up aspects of those artists? That's not worded well. What I'm trying to ask is you'll hear someone say that one of their biggest influences, for example, is Pat Benatar, and when you listen to their music, you can very much hear it in the style of their songs and their voice, even though they don't seem to consciously focus on sounding like them.

Well, Hanalei, that is a difficult question to ask. Jens has stated, based on theory, that our voices are built by nurture, the influences around us, the language we learn. And he is right about that. But I grew up hearing my step-grandfather, the most constant male figure in my life and he was a bass. How come I don't sound like a bass?

However, growing up, I listened to the music of Led Zeppelin and I am most comfortable singing their songs, even though I do NOT sound like Robert Plant, the singer. But I may have incorporated some of his style in my own singing, as a matter of cultural absorption, like you are suggesting. But it doesn't matter what the influences are. What is most important is what you are doing today.

Your voice is worth hearing and is worthy of respect, not whether you sound like some famous singer, or not. For the love of art, please, do not hinge your self-worth on whether or not you sound like some already famous singer, no matter how inspired you are. Inspiration is fine, originality is golden.