If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't necessarily mean you're doing it right?

Rate this topic

StephanyM

Hi guys, it's been a while since I last posted. I bought The Voice Book by Kate DeVore and the exercises are helping me greatly. I now feel a lot less tension and it seems that I'm headed in the right direction to correct vocal technique. I've also been working on Ingo Titze's straw exercises. I don't think I will be able to afford lessons in the near future but hopefully in a couple of months I'll be able to.

So in DeVore's book, as well as in some reading online I've done (can't remember where) it says that even if you don't feel pain while vocalizing, it doesn't necessarily mean you're doing it right. So how do you know, without a teacher, if you're doing things in a healthy way? Since I started doing the exercises, I admit that my voice feels a lot freer and it doesn't hurt me the way it used to. Of course, I understand that unlearning those bad habits will take time, but I do feel I'm doing fairly good in my training. Also, I was able to find a new job teaching adults, so the groups are much smaller and I don't need to put that much strain on my voice to make myself heard. I think all this has helped, but, as per this statement, how do you know for sure if you're doing things right? I know that if it hurts, you're doing it wrong, but shouldn't it be the other way around too?

I hope this question is not too stupid =)

Dont have the credentials to answer you, but as far as I found out, no question is too stupid to ask :)

My assumption though is when it doesn't hurt, it means its not going to cause damage. That would only make sense. The pain is the body's way to tell you, hey stop of that, before something bad is going to happen.

Whether it is the right way or the wrong way. Thats a different story.

You dont know, unfortunately.

We are too close to the source to evaluate things properly on our own.

Some people have affinity with the ideas, and can get a lot going in RT he correct direction even if they never trainned. Others simply wont get anywhere on their own. But doing it really right, only with trainning and very good orientation.

If its working for you and there is no discomfort, as well as you dont tense everything up (mirror helps you here), I think its safe to assume you are not doing something that will hinder future trainning.

Now if veins pop, weird faces or any of the sort, yes it can be a problem later.

Stephany, I am not a teacher. Just an amateur, like many others here.

I don't know about Devore's statement as I am not sure how it is written. But as to other sites saying that you could be still doing somthing wrong even if it's not causing pain, let me guess, for a fee, they can help you avoid that scenario, right?

I'm probably just a crazy idiot but I think the singing method that allows you to sing freely and painfree for as long as you need to sing is probably the right thing.

But I am not the smartest guy and I fail to understand people's fascination with pain. Why do some need to do it until they hurt? No pain, no gain might work in competitive weightlifting, it does not work with singing. You sing with membranes. Membranes are not muscle tissue, They do not get re-built. Membranes do not respond to weightlifting exercises. I used to lift weights a lot. The membranes in my nose and elsewhere are still the same size and consistency.

They get calluses called nodules if you overuse them or use them the wrong way. They can get polyps from overuse, abuse, and from genetic predisposition (I know people hate the word genetics, so I thought I would repeat it.)

Theoretically, the statement could be valid. Just like you might be walking and not hurting yourself walking but are walking toward a cliff that you cannot see and that will hurt, indeed.

So, when these others have made this statement, have they provided an example of doing something freely and without pain that still resulted in injury? Or what was "not right" about the sound that was made freely and without pain?

Or was it theoretical mumbo-jumbo to sell you another service? I'm not totally doubting the premise, it would just be interesting to see this statement a little more defined.

i took speech therapy to help me out of my polyp last year.

may i suggest (just as a singer) not a teacher... use support. a supported voice will protect you in most instances. your voice is more resiliant than you may think. don't get too hung up on "fear of injury."

other suggestions.....don't contort or onset the note violently, don't let a lot of air come through the folds. this dries them, making them susceptible to damage.'

also, underworking can be just as detrimental as overworking. note any abnormal speaking voice changes after you exercise and remember to warmup and warmdown.