Correct Approach For Sirens

Rate this topic

:) weather I am thinking, or training, or singing and not thinking somehow I am doing things wrong.

Do what works if it don't work don't do it. No that's not right. If it don't work, train more. But then you could train yourself into other problems. So back to retraining............ :D

Either way slides are a useful exercise and good tool to find where other problems may lie.

When i started out there was a huge gap in My voice. My chest went up to c4(e4screamed) and My falsetto started at tenor high c. Almost an octave of nothing... Guess how many Times ive cracked? On any song/scale...

Wrong? Sometimes your just untrained, if your voice is weak even if you do stuff 100% correct it may still break or suck because your voice is weak. This applies to all singing...

Why do you think felipe nags on about getting a coach? Because even if you do everything correct from The start a great voice still takes many many years to build.

Even if your in the right coordination with right support at the right placement it still takes many years to settle in the voice.

And if you do it right and it still sucks how can you spot your doing it right?

Edit: I dont think slides reveal much of your problems... Sure problems with doing slides but other then that?

Cheers

but folks just hear me out for a minute. i have done all kinds of exercises....you name it, i've probably have tried it.

now i'm asking you to believe me when i say that just the going through the motions of a scale or a siren or a whatever, messa di voce, whatever, just the act of performing the exercise had helped my voice to develop in ways i could never have pre-predicted.

yes, i do them "correctly" now, but i had no real clue when i used to them day in and day out, i just did them and i sing.

why then am i so pleased with my results? i still have much more to develop and learn but why am i making gains when a lot of other folks are still struggling?

i did it all when i exercised....strained, cracked, stuttered, stumbled, climbed my way up, sounded like crap and yet now things are really going well.

can you telll me what accounts for this?

When i started out there was a huge gap in My voice. My chest went up to c4(e4screamed) and My falsetto started at tenor high c. Almost an octave of nothing... Guess how many Times ive cracked? On any song/scale...

Wrong? Sometimes your just untrained, if your voice is weak even if you do stuff 100% correct it may still break or suck because your voice is weak. This applies to all singing...

Why do you think felipe nags on about getting a coach? Because even if you do everything correct from The start a great voice still takes many many years to build.

Even if your in the right coordination with right support at the right placement it still takes many years to settle in the voice.

Edit: I dont think slides reveal much of your problems... Sure problems with doing slides but other then that?

Cheers

Even you have explained to us before that we were doing an exercise wrong with the wrong intent or purpose.

Getting a coach is for guiding us to use the appropriate exercise for the correct outcome.

Verying the volume or intencity on a slide can lead to discoveries. If I dont use enough support on a slide I may break or flip. If I use the same amount of support and alter the vowel I may stay connected. If I use more support I may have a deeper quality to the sound.....

I am not saying do not exercise. I am saying a slide is a good way to discover differet things about your voice if you alter configurations. Slide with twang.....Slide without twang.....Slide with support..... slide with little support....

I have worked on falsetto, I have mimiced female voices and cartoon characters. I tried to go after Mike Patton early recordings for a c

Flashback - "you want it all but you can't have it. It's in your face but you can't grab it. I said, what is this ..."

Jay, you said you recorded on a phone. Could you share that recording?

Cheers

That is almost exactly what my voice was when I started as well. I also had very low and usable bass notes that I don't really use anymore. If it makes me completely change the placement now, I won't use it. My old bass notes were so throaty and not I have less range on that end but there is no major tonal shifts anywhere.

The problem now is that I always want a thicker sound but then I don't want it at the same time. I can pull chest very, very high without it sounding strained at all but then I hit a point where that will create a more noticeable shift when it gets more heady. That problem comes because I do a complete mimmick when singing songs. It's built up a lot of diversity in my voice but I almost don't have my own identity.

Maybe I need to be doing sirens for a more consistent approach? I really have not done many of them ever.

Consuming, both sirens and scales are good for getting into a more one voice thing. Sirens maybe more so. But make a point to cross through the passaggio on an "uh" vowel, that should help lower your bridge to the right spot where chest and head merge at equal volume.

Just because you can carry chest high doesn't mean you should...if your head voice isn't loud and heavy enough to bridge smoothly with your loud heavy belts, the bridge is going to be clunky. It's best to make the transition at a point where the two unite at the same volume. The uh vowel might help you do that, if you forget about chest and head and let the uh vowel calibrate the timing of the bridge for you.

Thanks for the advice. I'll fill you in on the results.

hmm am i missing something? Doesnt all exercises have a purpose? why else would it be called an exercise?

I mean tell me one purposeless exercise? perhaps it's just language barrier and im missing something

hmm am i missing something? Doesnt all exercises have a purpose? why else would it be called an exercise?

I mean tell me one purposeless exercise? perhaps it's just language barrier and im missing something

What I mean is you use an exercise like Gug, gug, gug, on a 3 tone or five tone scale to help keep the larynx low and the cords closed. Knowing this you can make sure that you are actually keeping the larynx low while doing the exercise and not letting it rise. You can make the sound gug with a higher larynx but that works against the purpose.

The uh sound helps to keep the larynx lower.

Jens, You know exactly what I mean. You just made a video Because we were doing an exercise wrong because we missed the purpose of the exercise and were adding to it.

That is what I am meaning. When you know the purpose "lower larynx" "cord closure" "posture correction" you can have a better chance of doing the exercise correctly.

From your own words, you had several coaches. How did that work out for you?

(devil smiley, reitchheya)

When I hear sirens, I pull over to the side so that the emergency vehicles can pass unabated.