Fundamental Basic Principles

Rate this topic

Hey all, to be honest I'm not a fan of the fancy terms and mumbo jumbo we like to use here on these forums. It's good to know what twanging is and ta musculature and ct and so on but it's really quite pointless.

Singing is an actual physical THING its actually DOING something. So if you had to explain to a young child how to sing better and you say overdrive this, neutral that, bridge here, twang there... he wouldn't know what the **** you're talking about.

My question is this... what are the fundamental basic principles of singing. When something is wrong with the production of your voice what are the areas that are most commonly to blame?

If you had to explain the fundamental principles of singing to a child or someone who did not understand english well what would you say? Now I know everyone is going to say support or something generic... but actually EXPLAIN your answers.

If I told my little brother to support his voice he would just stare at me blankly lol... so what are the fundamental basic principles of singing broken down into their simplest form.

I know this will be hard to answer since singing is so dynamic but I just had to ask!

- JayMC

I would say singing is a combination of rhythm training, alignment/posture, breathing, resonance, onsets/linking, diction, ear training, and music theory as they relate to the human voice. I thinking it's sometimes hard to define what support actually is. I'm sure Ken Tamplin, Robert Lunte, Brett Manning, Jaime Vendera, may have different approaches to support.

"The Voice Book" by Kate Devore spends the beginning with anatomy, teaches a procedure for proper alignment and then builds a case for lower breathing. Next it gives exercises for building an inner awareness of your breathing. Afterwards, it gives an anatomy lesson your vocal cords and teaches you how to find your larynx, feel vocal cord vibration, control vocal cord closure, and then build an awareness for the position of your larynx. Then it moves onto a 14-step program to building resonance. Each exercise has to be mastered before moving to the next one. Finally, it moves onto other topics.

So maybe the basics are:

A basic overview of anatomy relevant to singing

Posture/alignment

Lower breathing

Vocal cords (what they are, where are they located, how to control them)

Resonance (what it is and ways to use it)

Music theory

Performance techniques

jay,

i'd swear you are out to write a book. you ask questions to which you already know the answers.

sometimes i feel like you should think it through a little better before you post. not to be a wise ass, but respectfully i think your posts tend to overlap with your others.

(like my lou gramm posts...lol!!!!)

Lol look at this as a "sum it all up" post. For example when explaining twang to my little brother I say just add a little cry like a baby "nyaa nyaa nyaa" but not too much just enough. What to do when he sings higher I demonstrate lift up pull back just like Robert does in the pillars demo.

But some things I have trouble explaining like how to use support and vary it as you go higher and lower. Just curious as to what general principles have helped people to sing through the years. I'm really not a fan of the crazy a$$ terms we use here lol! I'd prefer if I could break down all these fancy terms into very simple topics that can be addressed with almost anyone.

As for bridging and connecting I could explain it as a relay race... at one point the fat runner has to lose enough weight and pass the baton to the light fast runner, remembering at one point that both runners are touching the baton! Got this tip from rockthestagenyc.

Singing doesn't have to be complicated... a lot of people here confuse themselves into oblivion :|

Fundamental basic principles. Unlike my usual long-winded posts, I will keep short, not unlike a physical law of the universe.

Stop me if you have heard this before:

Motion, when necessary, in the abs. Note in the head. Nothing in the throat, ever, and amen.