Is it time to give up on singing if I can't afford a vocal coach?

Rate this topic

syracusebound

I just really love it. And I wanna make my voice as good as possible. I write my own songs and I would like to be able to sing them too and well. But I really do need a lot of vocal help. My voice is okay when I sing sometimes then it just sounds bad to me too.

My little brother is always insulting me about my voice he says im anyway from a 4-6/10. But kids at school tell me I have a "nice" voice. And when I was in a choir in middle school and sang everyday I got a lot more compliments. I don't know what to do?!?

I can't afford and neither can my mom a coach. And people say online stuff is dodgy and you "HAVE" to be in person with a coach.

Play a lot of gigs, figure out what you're good at and DO THE *&%$ OUT OF THAT! Try to write lyrics that loosely reflect your personality (lazy syntax if you're lazy, grandiose if you're a drama queen, etc) and make sure people can understand them even if it means simplifying your melody. If you're dreaming of becoming a master singer without a coach, prob not gonna happen. If you want to be a great singer/songwriter without a coach, you just have to practice a lot and be honest with yourself about what works and what doesn't.

How much can you realistically afford per week?

You don't have to spend a ton of money.

Are you old enough to get a job and pay for your lessons?

Can you make money by gigging?

If you're still in school, can you take vocal lessons?

If you're in college, is there someone in the music department that can give you vocal lessons for credit?

If you're religious, is there a church choir that you can join?

You're right, though. A vocal coach in person is definitely better.

I just really love it. And I wanna make my voice as good as possible. I write my own songs and I would like to be able to sing them too and well. But I really do need a lot of vocal help. My voice is okay when I sing sometimes then it just sounds bad to me too.

My little brother is always insulting me about my voice he says im anyway from a 4-6/10. But kids at school tell me I have a "nice" voice. And when I was in a choir in middle school and sang everyday I got a lot more compliments. I don't know what to do?!?

I can't afford and neither can my mom a coach. And people say online stuff is dodgy and you "HAVE" to be in person with a coach.

Until you can get a coach or teacher don't give up. Little brothers are known for giving their older brother a hard time and vice versa. Don't let it get you down.

If you have a way to record yourself do that. If you have a song that you sound real good singing, use that as a form of exercise.

There are good videos on youtube along with bad ones. Search through this forum for specific questions. There is a lot of good info here also. And I am sure that if you have specific questions someone here will be able to give you some good advice.

Imo getting better at singing is about self-control. You are controlling yourself... your breathing... and your vocal cords. There was a study done in Germany about self-control... here's an excerpt.

"When Dr. Baumeister monitored workers in Germany, he was surprised to find that people spent between 3 and 4 hours per day resisting desires, the most common of which were urges to eat, sleep, take a break from work, and have sex. But Dr. Baumeister also found that people with strong self-control spent less time resisting desires than other people did."

"At first he was puzzled. If self-control is for resisting desires, why are people who have more of it using it less? Soon the explanation emerged: They're better at proactively arranging their lives to avoid problem situations. These are the folks who take the car to the shop before it breaks down, give themselves enough time to finish a project, and steer clear of all-you-can-eat buffets. They play offense instead of defense--which means they set themselves up so they have a realistic chance of succeeding."

So PLAY OFFENSE that means set yourself up to win... actively avoid your bad habits and actively pursue good ones. Now the reason why vocal coaches are good is because they can pickup on your bad habits a lot quicker than you can and help teach you knew ones. But if you don't have a vocal coach then YOU must play offense that much harder AND smarter. So do your homework... find out what your weaknesses are...

AND DESTROY THEM :) There are no shortage of vocal exercises and technical discussions on this forum. I'm sure you can find a cure to your problem(s)!

Complementing what Daniel said.

Without the help of a teacher or a program, use something to record yourself, listen to the artists you like, and work, slowly, and within comfort, trying to improve within what you CAN listen and understand.

Use a cellphone for example. Brake the work down, take easy songs, work phrase by phrase, or even word by word, let days build while you do the work and dont force, dont strain.

Slowly you will improve.

Also listen to a lot of music, all kinds, paying close attention to the vocals, to the point of being able to play the songs back in your head.

Collecting pieces of stuff randomly really will not work. But you can develop both your voice and your musicianship in this way. Use your freetime and learn. Comercial recordings are all free lessons we can take :).

GL!

I think your brother is jealous. Love him like a brother and ignore his advice on singing. Instead, listen to Felipe and Daniel. That is, if you want to sing. If you want to keep believing your brother, I don't think anyone can help you.

You are unlikely to find a complete vocal course on Youtube.

Most vocal coaches just give you a tiny bit of info in their video.

They want you to take lessons with them.

One teacher that has a fairly comprehensive set of videos is thesongbirdtree.

Her Youtube channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSongbirdtree

Here are all her lesson videos up until now:

How to sing and sound better:

How to warm up your voice in the morning:

Vocal Health for Singers:

How to sing without strain:

How to sing with strength in your voice:

How to sing without running out of breath this Christmas:

How to sing high notes:

How to deal with nerves and WOW your audience:

How to sing in thin folds and thick folds:

How to sing 101 - How to prepare your body & throat for great singing:

How to sing 101 Part 2 - How to sing great with correct posture and proper breathing:

How to sing 101 Part 3 - How to effectively warm up your voice:

How to strengthen your chest & head voice:

How to effectively warmup - Practice video:

How to develop mixed voice and sing without breaking:

How to reach high notes with power:

How to sing in head voice and not sound breathy & thin:

How to sing with vibrato:

How to sing really low notes well:

How to bridge the vocal break:

How to increase vocal range:

How to Belt - Part 1:

How to Belt - Part 2:

How to Belt - Part 3:

Finally, if you have trouble visualizing the vocal cords, here's a video from a camera inside the body:

Play a lot of gigs, figure out what you're good at and DO THE *&%$ OUT OF THAT! Try to write lyrics that loosely reflect your personality (lazy syntax if you're lazy, grandiose if you're a drama queen, etc) and make sure people can understand them even if it means simplifying your melody. If you're dreaming of becoming a master singer without a coach, prob not gonna happen. If you want to be a great singer/songwriter without a coach, you just have to practice a lot and be honest with yourself about what works and what doesn't.

for me.....all of this!

A GOOD coach should be able to teach you what you need to know in a few lessons. You don't need to take a voice lesson every week for years on end. The cost to get you moving to the point where you can really start to do most of the learning on your own should be in the hundreds of dollars range, not thousands. If you want to sing opera, it's a different story, but I presume that's not your goal.

I totally understand that you can't afford it today and neither can your parents. But you're young. If you're serious about singing, work and save up the money and start the lessons when you have it. In the meantime, there's good advice on this thread and this forum in general.

You are unlikely to find a complete vocal course on Youtube.

Most vocal coaches just give you a tiny bit of info in their video.

They want you to take lessons with them.

One teacher that has a fairly comprehensive set of videos is thesongbirdtree.

Her Youtube channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSongbirdtree

Here are all her lesson videos up until now:

How to sing and sound better:

How to warm up your voice in the morning:

Vocal Health for Singers:

How to sing without strain:

How to sing with strength in your voice:

How to sing without running out of breath this Christmas:

How to sing high notes:

How to deal with nerves and WOW your audience:

How to sing in thin folds and thick folds:

How to sing 101 - How to prepare your body & throat for great singing:

How to sing 101 Part 2 - How to sing great with correct posture and proper breathing:

How to sing 101 Part 3 - How to effectively warm up your voice:

How to strengthen your chest & head voice:

How to effectively warmup - Practice video:

How to develop mixed voice and sing without breaking:

How to reach high notes with power:

How to sing in head voice and not sound breathy & thin:

How to sing with vibrato:

How to sing really low notes well:

How to bridge the vocal break:

How to increase vocal range:

How to Belt - Part 1:

How to Belt - Part 2:

How to Belt - Part 3:

Finally, if you have trouble visualizing the vocal cords, here's a video from a camera inside the body:

honestly you are gonna be more confused if you watch all these videos. There is not a 100 ways to sing!

How much can you realistically afford per week?

You don't have to spend a ton of money.

Im 17, I live in the middle of no where Upstate. I can't get a job because I don't have a ride. And my mom just got into a car accident because of that big storm that just hit. Our car is totaled. Luckily she has insurance so we'll get a new one soon. But we struggle to make ends meet every month. So literally nothing can be afforded.

I should also tell you guys and I am ashamed of this I was bulimic for about 8 months. So it might of given me some damage. For a couple of months I did it 2-3 a day. But im better now. Now I just want a nice sounding voice.

Is there just general things CAN DO. When I sing my voice sounds piercing and sort of hurts to listen to IMO. Then I can't hit the notes, and its frustrating.

My self confidence over the years has dwindled with significant weight gain. And always being put down my brother and cousin with stuff I love. (sports, acting, singing) I don't even like talking to them anymore because they just say mean comments.

Like you, Syracuse, I was grew up poor. When I picked up a family guitar in 1974, all my mom could afford was a new set of strings and Mel Bay's Book of Chords. And I figured it out for myself.

Click on the email thing under my avatar and send me an email and I can send you some basic stuff I know.

you have no idea how lucky you are to have all these wonderful folks take the time to write all this helpful advice.

now....let me ask you, are you going to let them down by making more excuses and feeling sorry for yourself?

you have to really, really want this...it's not going to be easy and it's going to take time.

but i believe, like the others do, that you can do it.....you started off great by making friends with folks who share the same desires and struggles, and we all try to help each other.

you just can't beat that!

you have no idea how lucky you are to have all these wonderful folks take the time to write all this helpful advice.

now....let me ask you, are you going to let them down by making more excuses and feeling sorry for yourself?

you have to really, really want this...it's not going to be easy and it's going to take time.

but i believe, like the others do, that you can do it.....you started off great by making friends with folks who share the same desires and struggles, and we all try to help each other.

you just can't beat that!

THANK YOU, I am trying. I consider myself lucky to be alive in a time with internet. And have there be so many more resources for people like me. I don't even know what someone back then would do if they were in my situation.

And you people are lovely to take out the time you have taken out. I am trying and constantly looking up stuff to help my voice. Sometimes though it gets confusing there's so much stuff out there on the internet and im not sure which to try for it to be beneficial for my voice. Some people tell me I need to go see special doctors to check out my vocal chords because of the bulimia. And I might of ruined them.

So should I not watch the videos, are they no help?

I can't promise any miracles, but they are definitely worth it.

She is a good teacher and covers a lot of topics.

For a set of free vocal lessons, it's a wealth of information.

Unlike a lot of vocal coaches with Youtube videos, she goes in-depth to explain a lot.

Some of the videos are 10-20 minutes and that time isn't wasted. Usually vocal coach

videos are only a few minutes and they're really trying to get you to pay for lessons.

A lot of good practical advice that will introduce you to many different aspects of singing.

Definitely check out the videos that you feel are relevant.

Also, read the comments on her Youtube videos.

She answers a lot of the questions people ask her.

Also, since you're 17, will you be able to go to college?

That will solve everything because you'll definitely be able to take a vocal class or have

someone give you lessons for school credit.

If you're still in high school, try to find a choir director or music teacher

and tell them your situation. If you can show them that you're determined and

have potential, somebody might sympathize and help you.

Or maybe join a church choir if you're OK with that.

I wouldn't try to post on craigslist or a similar site, though. Too many shady people out there.

I can't promise any miracles, but they are definitely worth it.

She is a good teacher and covers a lot of topics.

For a set of free vocal lessons, it's a wealth of information.

Unlike a lot of vocal coaches with Youtube videos, she goes in-depth to explain a lot.

Some of the videos are 10-20 minutes and that time isn't wasted. Usually vocal coach

videos are only a few minutes and they're really trying to get you to pay for lessons.

A lot of good practical advice that will introduce you to many different aspects of singing.

Definitely check out the videos that you feel are relevant.

Also, read the comments on her Youtube videos.

She answers a lot of the questions people ask her.

Also, since you're 17, will you be able to go to college?

That will solve everything because you'll definitely be able to take a vocal class or have

someone give you lessons for school credit.

If you're still in high school, try to find a choir director or music teacher

and tell them your situation. If you can show them that you're determined and

have potential, somebody might sympathize and help you.

Or maybe join a church choir if you're OK with that.

I wouldn't try to post on craigslist or a similar site, though. Too many shady people out there.

YES, I will be able to go to college. I am a senior in high school! I am looking at the CUNY colleges in NYC. IM 70 percent sure I will be boing to one of them! So I am super excited. I am going to be going to one of the community colleges to start out and get the needed classes out of the way. I am emailing the college to see if I can take some Music classes and Theatre classes as well. Especially to the music classes. Im not sure which type of music classes to take though theres so many options. I am looking at BMCC or KCC.

YES, I will be able to go to college. I am a senior in high school! I am looking at the CUNY colleges in NYC. IM 70 percent sure I will be boing to one of them! So I am super excited. I am going to be going to one of the community colleges to start out and get the needed classes out of the way. I am emailing the college to see if I can take some Music classes and Theatre classes as well. Especially to the music classes. Im not sure which type of music classes to take though theres so many options. I am looking at BMCC or KCC.

NYC is an awesome place for music.

Another great thing is that you don't need a car.

If you can somehow manage to spend $200 per month, you can try Craig Derry's

Vocal Boot Camp (http://www.vocalbootcamp.net/). He has group vocal classes

6 days a week. It sounds expensive, until you realize that you can take unlimited

classes. So you can go to class 6 days a week (90-120 minutes) if you want.

Vocal Boot Camp - Craig Derry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYHpWQNTUag

Group Class Exercises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUBbJqpc2c

Student performance in class

I think the vocal boot camp is an awesome idea. Instead of a vocal teacher giving you homework every week (and expecting you to work on it yourself), you can do most of your training in class.

If you don't mind buying books, I'd recommend "The Voice Book" by Kate Devore. It teaches most of the technical aspects of the voice and singing that you'll need to know. (http://www.amazon.com/The-Voice-Book-Protecting-Improving/dp/1556528299/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360447403&sr=8-1&keywords=the+voice+book). The author has a long history rehabilitating damaged voices of her patients. So her advice is very credible.

If you're looking for a vocal workout to do everyday, you can try (http://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Singer-Elements-Technique-Berklee/dp/0876391072/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360447469&sr=1-1&keywords=contemporary+singer) and/or (http://www.amazon.com/Vocal-Warm-Ups-Hal-Leonard-Corp/dp/142344583X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360447435&sr=1-2&keywords=vocal+warm+ups).

I recommend the workout from the first book. Do them 6 days a week and you'll get better.

The books and Youtube links I mentioned can at least hold you off until you get to college.

Then you're home free :)

a lot of great responses here for you..

However, upload a sample of your singing.. I'll give you my honest opinion.. So if I think you suck balls.. I'll tell ya.. I hold nothing back.. if i think there is potiential, I say that too,as well as compliments, and suggestions to improve, as I see them...

oh.. and btw:... if you love it.. NEVER GIVE UP on it.. singing is a learnt development... you WILL get better over time.. If you can't afford a VC, no worries.. sing like the artist for the genre you want to do...

Just keep at it.. visit these type of sites, share your samples.. ask for opinions and keep going with it..

everyone can sing -- some just need extra time / training to get there..