Prog Rock Original "Don't Be Afraid"

• TMV World Legacy Member

To offset how many others start there posts: "This is my best effort at singing for this song, and I think it isn't too bad". There you are then. I doubt if that statement on its own will outweigh all those who open their posts saying the opposite.

As usual, constructive criticism is welcome.

listen:

download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yy0d0o1eu2pfqz9/Don%27t%20Be%20Afraid%20-%20George%20vox%20v2.mp3

It's not yet finished but on it's way. I think I will rework the 4'17 section over the sparse instrumentation, which I will probably do a new/different melody for. The various instruments will get a bit more work also. Mix is fairly rough.

I sang on this, instruments by others.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Sound cloud doesn't like me any more. :| It tells me that it cannot find your file.

I found out that I maxed out my upload privileges. That is why I had trouble a few days ago.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

You can download it from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yy0d0o1eu2pfqz9/Don%27t%20Be%20Afraid%20-%20George%20vox%20v2.mp3

Also putting this link in OP.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

:) Nothing to say Technique wise. Some of the words seem choppy or disconnected.

It may be the effect that you wanted with the song. I do not know about this style of music.

Thanks.

MDEW I'm not sure about choppy or disconnected. Certainly the phraising is fairly slow in places and so the words pull apart.

Jugulator, it's sort of a mix between studio (instruments) and home (voice) produced. Mix is rough, because I did it at home. Final mix will be in a studio.

Very nice, you have a very Bruce-y tone (which I'm guessing you have heard before? :))

The song was very nice aswell, I feel it has alot of Dream Theater Six Degrees vibes. I really liked it!

I must agree with Mivke. Even though sound different, the way that you sing reminds me of Bruce. I can't remember, did you cover "Fear of the Dark"? You should, if you have not already done so.

Definitely prog and borrowing from everyone, as is the tradition in all music. I could hear bits of DT, and Kansas, one of my early references. I had every album Kansas ever recorded, including those with John Elefante.

Anyway, good stuff, can't wait to hear the finished mix.

Thanks.

MDEW I'm not sure about choppy or disconnected. Certainly the phraising is fairly slow in places and so the words pull apart.

George, It is just my own perception. I was refering to where the words pull apart.

It is just in my mind. Too many hours watching STAR TREK. The pauses reminded me of Captain Kirk and his dramatic way of expressing himself. If you have ever been a fan of Star Trek I am sure you will understand what I mean. If you are not familier with Star Trek and would like to understand what I am talking about let me know.

Otherwise do not worry about it.

I really enjoyed listening to the song. And always enjoy hearing you sing.

Yeah, for a while, William Shatner would catch grief from others for his dramatic pauses, especially when doing a soliloquy, which was often part of the script. I think Gene Roddenberry was a frustrated preacher and this was a vehicle for him to express his vision. And Shatner had the goods. He was more accessible to the viewing audience than the morose actor who played Captain Pike in the series pilot, which never made it past the studio execs. That actor was a fine actor but his dramatic foreboding was the wrong thing for the show. Captain Kirk, now that was a guy who could inspire action.

One of my favorite lines, a perfect Kirk-ism, from "The Wrath of Khan." When asked why he "cheated" and re-programmed the computers for the Kobiashi Maru test, he replied, "Simple. I don't like to lose."

Yes, I am a Star Trek geek and that is probably TMI.

Another favorite trivia. During the developement of the series, prior to its airing in 1966. there was a memo from 1965 from one of the studio execs. "Get rid of the guy with the devil ears."

In the space of just a couple of posts I've leapt from sounding a bit like Bruce Dickinson, to being the new William Shatner. Even without the William Shatner thing, nobody every commented on me sounding like Bruce when I was posting Iron Maiden covers recently, only now when I post something which is just me sounding like myself.

BAH HUMBUG. :(

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry about that George. :| I wasn't meaning any harm. It was the only way I knew to clarify my comment.

You sound nothing like William.