PROBLEMS WITH SINGING

Rate this topic

Rafael Pashamov

Hello!

I had the pleasure of reading some very helpful and warm advices on this forum, so I decided to post this thread. I've encountered recently a succession of events that I sang at and.. my voice was kind of cheating on me. So, long story short, we gigged really hard and great with the guys, some of our repertoire included:

Journey- Seperate ways

Rainbow- I surrender

Rainbow- Can't let you go

Europe- The final countdown

Toto- Hold the line

Dream theater- Pull me under

Kiss/ Ledd Zeppelin

and so on and so on..

So, I sang them pretty good, but I have some questions to thinks I dont really seem to understand. Well, I consider myself being a good singer, though for the little time I've been doing this, I think I'm good.

I really wanted to know, is the problem with my voice (vocal fatigue).. really a result of it being not high enough, or that I am straining? I mean, yeah, I am straining at some of them, but I hit perfectly every note, trying not to sound squecky and stupid, it sounds good, but I am just straining I think, I dont quite understand how I do stuff. There are lots of other bands here, who are doing great like us (some others even already started their own studio recordings stuff and are releasing the first album) and their vocals often ask me how I do that, and how I do this... but I cannot explain it... so I noticed how tiring it is sometimes and I just feel weak to proceed. Now,I know that all these songs are incredible broken hard to sing, so maybe Im doing them bad. But I want to find a way to remain my voice safe and to have the powers to sing the whole gig up to the end. It sux how I can totally nail Can't let you go and after it to sound weak...

Are there ways to really increase the vocal range and maybe .. make it somehow easier to sing, not straining. Maybe I need to release tension, or I am belting too much.

respectfully, not sure i understand what you're saying...it sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

on the one hand you say you sound good, but on the other you're losing your voice.

don't let anyone b.s. you into thinking there isn't going to be effort when you sing demanding rock songs like those you've listed..

even with reasonably good technique, you will experience some fatigue and the vocal folds and musculature of the voice will get a work out. it's inherant in this type of singing.

then you have heat of the moment, you're on stage, the emotions heat up, and you might not hear your voice so you push harder.....

a lot of those songs not only have high notes in them, but sit high. when a song sits high it's like taking a barbell curl on the way down from the top of the rep and stopping in the middle and holding it.

on some notes, you're asking vocal musculature that's inherantly antagonistic to each other to work together and blend both tonally and muscularly. you're also asking vocal folds to remain together while they stretch and possibly thicken and take greater air pressure (in some cases)....

you may simply not be developed enough to where you can consistently and reliably sing them.

with that said, vocal exercises will help greatly.

stamina is required, knowing when to let off the gas (pacing the effort) is required, support is required, a lot of stuff going on.

@ Owen Korzec

Hey, thank you for your answer, I honestly hope you give some more advices here, as soon as possible:)

I really aim to find some exercises,but I am not so successful for now. Maybe you can give some pointers? Would be really appreciated:)

@ VIDEOHERE

The misunderstanding is my mistake.

I am trying to explain that I can sing the list of songs quite.. good, but I feel the lack of stamina and everything else. I mean, I want to be better than what I am and for the last half an year I havent been doing anything in that direction but singing with the band, earning some money. People like us,that is something completely rare around here... so that's how I noticed my imperfections, when we happened to gig more often (sometimes 3 times a week)... I know them songs are really hard, but I just need to find a way. I have so much to give,and I would give everything for becoming a better singer. And by saying better,I actually want to extend my upper range and to increase tonal quality, to stop straining.. so that my voice does not get so tired after some of those songs. I am singing them good, but they take lots of stamina. I am a real warrior, all my friends know me for that... I never give up, I sing it till the end! So that audience is happy and we all are happy, I am happy when everybody is satisfied with the song, after I release all the emotion:) .. I just want to improve. its sometimes stressful when knowing that I have to sing a song that will cost me my freshness of the voice... and will make it tired as s*it : (

Glad you are helping mee! I need more help, would you offer such?

Also, as an addition to all this stuff, I think that it is important I share with you, experienced dudes, that I began singing as a tenor 2 in a choir, and ... my first singing was opera/ classical style.. and I am pretty sure that gave some results in my rock singing. I am.. always doing the vibrato stuff.. automatically. I am opening my throat and mouth and.. I don't know im sure it gave something to my voice that is contradicting with my rock singing now... Please help me if you have experienced or heard of mutual things :(

I really think it has a lot to do with my problem, when I actually think of it :( just though it was stupid to share...

well, if it's stamina you're after, and not straining, you have to get on a regular routine of vocal exercise and of course, keep singing.

get with a vocal coach (always the best way) who can help isolate your weaknesses (we all have them) and design a program to help you.

without hearing you, it's tough for the folks here to help you.

i assume you're doing what's right?

lots of water drinking

no booze

good, healthy diet

exercise (if possible)

no reflux issues

and all that?

not sure what else to say.....if you are going to sing hard core rock songs you've got to be developed to the point where you can play the game consistently night after night without losing your voice or hurting yourself.

stamina means several things.

Well I need to find enough time for those vocal exercises (especially if they are going to be performed with a teacher).

I Live in Europe, Bulgaria, which would mean a different time area, and most of the foreign skype teachers ... would connect with me during nights, when exercising is impossible :(

Of course, I appreciate your help! Will check the site you posted!

And yes, I need stamina and maybe a way to develop some better quality to my range, to make it better at the same time. I know it takes time, of course, just want to start doing it already.. it will make me feel better.

part of your efforts is seeking out and reaching out....surely there must be someone out there who can help you.

i have an attorney customer, this guy steve hansen beat me out of a lot of money....i got so pissed i called the local television station to help me.

There are no teachers I could go to now, or that would help me with the rocky stuff.. All classical singing teachers here. :(

When I went to one he told me I was a tenor and I should not sing higher the High C and lower than the other C.. and I was really confused, I did not care about that, I just wanted to lose tension and straining and what I got from working with that teacher is that I started singing even WORSE!

There are no teachers I could go to now, or that would help me with the rocky stuff.. All classical singing teachers here. :(

When I went to one he told me I was a tenor and I should not sing higher the High C and lower than the other C.. and I was really confused, I did not care about that, I just wanted to lose tension and straining and what I got from working with that teacher is that I started singing even WORSE!

most of your favorite rock singers probably did not have teachers, study them closely and get the most out of your voice without any strain and then "strain a little" to get a certain sound...I am a teacher but this is how you learn to sing rock n roll.. the exercising and lessons are great for finding balance but to sing rock n roll you need to be a little rock n roll...Am i making any sense to ya:) Keep on practicing your set of tunes try to sing them with less and less tension over months not days...singing is a journey

.. and Journey is what I want to be singing :)) haha

Thank you for the advice and yes, I agree with you. It is somehow individual, exercises and stuff .. give balance but dont actually help me with the rock thing..

Most of my favorite singers... arent even breathing right and they sing like gods. Not to mention James LaBrie.. he had a teacher and still has, though. He is so crazy

So I talked with a friend of mine who is a professional singer and to be honest, he is one of the people that I owe my obsession to singing! He is an incredible artist and singer! Here is him singing, he is one of the best voices I have ever heard in my life.

After talking to him for a while, he explained to me that he was a baritone when started singing (15 years old) and.. some time passed, he was doing lots and lots of FALSETTO exercises, and only falsetto stuff.. now he says that he has no falsetto at ALL! ..and that his voice is somehow connected all the time.. so weird. His speaking voice is quite like mine, but his singing is magnificent. How can that happen?

How do you know your favorite singers are not breathing right? Sounds like a straw boss or a fascile argument to prove that you don't need an instructor, just looking for the magic pill. Daniel gave it to you. So did Bob.If you don't have time or money for an instructor, find some exercises. You have internet or you would not be posting here. So, go to youtube, if all else fails.

Shows 3 nights a week? That's a schedule for pros. Get rest. Everyone gets to party except the singer. So, decide, are you a party animal or a singer? You cannot be both. That's your tough love for the day. Drop the deuce or get off the commode. Follow the advice from Tarja from Nightwish. You just don't get to stay out in the bar or nightclub until 4 in the morning and do your thing the next day.

So, suck it up, be a man, and start living as a singer. Water, rest, some kind of training that sticks with you, even in the heat of a live performance. And that will take a little time to build as a habit.

You said you sang in choir. Well, that took work and focus. So does rock and roll. Eddie Trunk asked Paul Rodgers how he can still sing everything he did 30 and 40 years ago. Plainly, he stated, at one point, he decided he was more a singer than a party animal. Changed his priorities to serve his singing. So much, that he got to sing with Queen, a primo gig, if there ever was one.

And what Daniel was saying also implies time, as well.

And in the interviews of professional singers that I have read, if they took a break from the road, it could take a month before they were back up to the endurance of a full set.

First rehearsal, they sang maybe three songs. It would be 4 to 6 weeks before they were back up to full tilt boogie.

Conditioning, practice, practice.

Even David Lee Roth, when he was getting back with Van Halen, immediately asked about the set list. He knew that he would have to re-train how they were going to do the songs live, now, especially as it had been years. And these are songs that he wrote. But each tour is different.

Hello!

Are there ways to really increase the vocal range and maybe .. make it somehow easier to sing, not straining. Maybe I need to release tension, or I am belting too much.

You will need to develop techniques for breathing and attacking notes. These techniques should help you do exactly what you want - make it easier for you to sing the notes you have trouble singing, make you look like you are not straining.

So start with breathing. How do you breathe before singing a note? Look at the anatomy of the upper respiratory tract. Air can enter through the nose or mouth. The mouth is a larger opening. You need air to sing, alot of it. The more air you can take in the better. So it would make sense to breathe through your mouth instead of your nose. Try this. Breathing only through my mouth is the technique I use for the breathing part.

Now all you need is to find a technique for attacking the notes - just keep in mind that you want the technique to help you sing easier, less strain and tension.

Write down the techniques and make revisions when you have to.

Record your voice. Get a good mic and a way to record your voice. Don't use effects like reverb, echo while you are trying to find your technique.

Your voice will sound and feel different when you wake up, during the day, at night. These techniques that you will develop will help you constantly adjust your voice to get the RELAXED and UNSTRAINED voice you are looing for.

just keep the words RELAXED, UNSTRAINED, EASY in mind when developing the techniques.

The other thing I would like to point out is that the lyrics in a modern pop or rock song, like the ones listed in this thread are often written and composed in English, a difficult language with unpure vowels because we steal from everone and mash it all together, as opposed to choir, where you are likely to be using the italian vowels.

And that's why you can do well in choir and going through a set with a rock band, which probably feels like it requires a louder volume to you, as well as articulation and vowel sounds you may not be used to left you fatigued.