Is the back of the neck ever involved in twanging?

Rate this topic

Got another basic question, if anyone gets a spare minute. If you twang as hard as you possibly can, do you feel some action at the back of your neck? Hard to describe and I know sensations are subjective, but I guess I'd call it kind of a lifting and bracing feeling? As usual, I assume this is some kind of cheap shortcut that will eventually cause me unspeakable harm haha but I'll be damned if it doesn't get my twanger purring like a coupe deville.

EDIT: After further research, this looks like something called neck anchoring and prob has more to do with support than twang.

Bob, just out of curiosity, if you sing a soft, heady note and then twang until it becomes like a creaky door hinge, do you feel it then? Just wanted to clarify that I'm talking about the far extreme end of the twang spectrum, beyond being useful for real singing, as like a warm up for the twanger.

It might be what Rob calls "placing the sound deep in the head". If you twang really hard on really high notes, you have a feeling of the sound "sitting" somewhere around your upper neck where the spine meets the skilll. Once you dampen the sound by dropping the larynx the tone sitting in your upper neck "spreads" more towards your lower neck (in reality it is your lower pharynx).

Thanks for your replies everyone! I really have no idea what it is - whether it's neck anchoring, placing the sound deep in the head like benny said, or something having to do with twang - but it's definitely not painful and it works like a charm. I'll keep messing and post again if I happen to figure out what's going on.