Proof that Jon Bon Jovi could once sing like on the old records :)

Rate this topic

jonpall

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was once or twice related in this forum that Jon's voice "suffered" from actually taking voice lessons that led away from his fried, raspy sound of early days. I have yet to see proof that his voice was "ruined" by some legit lessons.

I fear that I shall grow more gray hair, yea, even pass away and shuffle off this mortal coil, to quote Shakespeare, before I get to see such proof.

The most recent performance I saw of Jon was at the relief concert for victims of Superstorn Sandy in northern New Jersey, where he is from. He sounded cleaner and stronger, and much more relaxed and I liked it.

I'm a Bon Jovi fan and I have to strongly disagree with you Ron. Jon sounded AWFUL on the Sandy relief concert. Jon hasn't sounded good live since at least 2000 if not earlier. His big chesty masculine tone from the 80's/90's has been replaced with an overly whiny, twangy, nasal tone that at times is painful to listen to. Jon Bon Jovi strongly endorses Quack mode nowdays and it's really sad.

I noticed this sort of change in a lot of rock singers. I strongly believe that this has to do with vocal strain. Singing with lots of twang is just more "economical" and easier on the vocal folds.

You can notice something similar in James Hetfield for example (even though he was never an extraordinary singer) or Chester Bennington. They changed their style more towards lighter mass phonations during their career, often because of vocal fold problems.

you know folks, maybe these guys just say to themselves, "you know what, i've made my money doing this, and made the recording companies even more money, it's time to stop killing myself with these high notes anymore."

they must sense it's takes more out of them as they age, and they've found peace with less capability than before.

Amen Bob. And thanks for looking at the concert I was talking about, Jonpall. I don't think he has lost his voice. I think it is stronger. I also notice that he is not going for the highest notes anymore.

Like Bob said, he is more in control of himself and his sound. He doesn't have to please a record company.

This concert was from his heart and I think he was also the primary producer on it, as well. Helping out his neighbors as best as he knew how to do. He might not swing a hammer or drive a backhoe, but he can darn well sing a song on pitch and as strong as ever, and bring in the ticket sales to bring relief while the residents await the "speed of government" to help them. I have seen a sloth move faster than the government.

And I think Bon Jovi earns at least a little respect for this concert, as well as his longetivity.

ron, i've noticed steve walsh (kansas) has dropped a half on all his songs....i think he sounds better in some songs.

if we really get into the minds of these guys i'm sure some of them (technique or no technique) are probably sensing subtle changes in their voices as they age. (hell, a lot of my heroes are in their 60's!) it must be difficult for some of them to deal with i'm sure.

but although they may not hit the famous highs that once defined them, the core voice, the talent, the phrasing, is still there.

imagine the pressure on a guy like steve perry if he were to return to the mic.

they know all too well how they used to sound, and have to come to terms that it may just not be happening any more.

Well put, Bob. Better to sing 1/2 to 1 step down and get it solid. It's about the performance, not the highest note one can sing.

And for some guys, they do lose some of the top range.

Then, again, I like some of your recent statements that by going with good support and other technique, it's okay if you lose some of the highest notes. As long as the passaggio is managable and the voice sounds like one voice.

Artistic expression over feats of daring-do.

yes, it's just not about the high notes..it's the mid to upper middle that's really the test....i.m.o.

I agree 100%, and I can't say I've really witnessed too many "poor" performances from Jon over the years. And truth be told, I was never actually crazy about "Living On A Prayer" until they started doing their unplugged version, which is far less "rangey" than the original.

Hehe Living on à prayer, so many people have butchered this. Even loads of professional singers, it really feels like à clear cut studiosong or à song where the guitarist gets to write the vocal melodyline. Hard as (*auto edit*), and then comes the keyraise... Yey

What Jens said. Especially the way that song "living on a prayer" modulates (changes key) in the chorus.

One of my new favorite singers is Scott Stapp, who has no qualms describing himself as a baritone. What matters most is that he knows how to sing a song and I feel what he is singing.

As for Jon, as long as he is still singing and on pitch and has that same charisma and the women are still wanting to throw undergarments at him, all is right with the world.

Thanks for sharing that, Mr. Bounce.

I still like Jon's voice.

Here's some useless trivia. 'Bohemian Rhapsody" the studio version - drummer Roger Taylor actually sings the high note (a C6 I think). Live, no one sings it. That's on a tape loop.

Anyway, I'm not concerned if Jon hits the highest note, though the guitarist (not Ritchie Sambora in this show) sings the highest note. it's still a good show.

Hello everyone I have just joined this wonderful forum and was about to post a topic about Jon Bon Jovi's voice change/deterioration when I saw this post.

For me Jon had one of the strongest rock voices from the mid 80s to the mid 90s however something must of happened during 1999 as his voice had noticabley changed on their comeback tour in 2000. Here's him singing in 1998

where to me he seems comfortable and open sounding(check out 5:08 for some powerful high notes) and here he is in 2000
and while he isn't awful here there is a change in his voice as it has more twang than before and his pronuciation has changed/slurred which has gotten more noticable which each passing year.

I dont know if this is a deliberate change on Jon's part, vocal damage, change in technique but something definately happened and he only aged a year so I wouldn't put it down to old age at the time.

Would love to hear more theories on this subject.

The way it sounds to me, prior to 2000 and going all the way back to the 80's, Jon was a belter, chest puller, whatever you wanna call it. Most of the time he was pushing/yelling/screaming his higher notes.

As it's been proven time and time again, this sort of "technique" takes it's toll on your voice over years of extensive touring. I read Jon even had steroids injected into his larynx/vocal folds couple times during the 80's when he nearly lost his voice on tour.

So with some damage being done, I ASSUME Jon went and got some training and that's when that twang in his voice started appearing as well as him utilizing head voice/mix for his high notes instead of pulling chest up high.

To me the problem is that Jon never refined or perfected his head voice/twang to sound cohesive with his older/natural chest voice so it just sounds nasally, annoying and grating.

If you listen to post 2000 albums, Jon still uses his older style of singing on the recordings, but modifies it to the new twangier style when performing live.

Oh - my - ever - loving - God .....

In two weeks, Jon will be 52 years old. Can any of you guys still be doing half of what he is doing when you are in your 50's? Huh? I didn't quite hear that ... what? All I hear is crickets chirping.

In a forum where we discuss technique to infintessimal detail untl we're blue in the face and Jon finally gets some legit training, in the forward voice sound that is favored by many and yet bemoan the lost of the strained sound that was really from straining and in the wrong way?

I realize I am an idiot. I was thinking it was a good thing that he got some training and has been able to conserve his voice. Where was my head at? Once again, ronws being ignorant, like the redneck I am.

By the way, he can still do the high notes. The part about letting the audience sing on "Living on a Prayer" is part of the performance, not a case of him not being able to sing the high notes. Just like Pat Benetar lets the audience sing the chorus in "Hit Me with Your Best Shot." It's the part of the song that everyone knows. Funny how things change when you capture a video from a good day, rather than a show where he really is tired.

Courtesy of ronws, being a loose cannon and a supporter of getting some training.

(I think I said that out loud. Oops ....)

Ron, Are you Jon's wounded ego? His mom? his attorney? Why are you running to his aid like we're throwing rocks at your house?

Seriously, I doubt anyone here is against training or technique otherwise they wouldn't be here.

That's exactly the reason people want to know why Jon's voice changed and what he's doing differently nowadays that makes him sound not as good as he used to.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with technique, but there's something to be said when you sound worse with it, then you did without it. It's all a matter of opinion and just like you everyone's entitled to one.

The way it sounds to me, prior to 2000 and going all the way back to the 80's, Jon was a belter, chest puller, whatever you wanna call it. Most of the time he was pushing/yelling/screaming his higher notes.

As it's been proven time and time again, this sort of "technique" takes it's toll on your voice over years of extensive touring. I read Jon even had steroids injected into his larynx/vocal folds couple times during the 80's when he nearly lost his voice on tour.

So with some damage being done, I ASSUME Jon went and got some training and that's when that twang in his voice started appearing as well as him utilizing head voice/mix for his high notes instead of pulling chest up high.

To me the problem is that Jon never refined or perfected his head voice/twang to sound cohesive with his older/natural chest voice so it just sounds nasally, annoying and grating.

If you listen to post 2000 albums, Jon still uses his older style of singing on the recordings, but modifies it to the new twangier style when performing live.

This seems like a valid reason, thanks for the insight.

My problem with Jon is not that he doesn't go for all the high notes (on tour most singers don't) but it's just his change in tone that ruined one of the biggest selling points of that band for me personally.

It's all a matter of opinion and just like you everyone's entitled to one.

Quite true. So, how long are going to bust my chops for expressing mine?

That was rhetorical, you don't have to answer that. Just like the rhetorical question of how many of anyone here can still do what he is doing when they are in their 50's.

I get it. People want the raspy Jon back.

I like his sound now. Yes, it's more forward, now, but it is also a cleaner sound and it could be that I just value cleaner voices. It's a personality defect of mine. So, you may disregard my opinion while being entitled to yours. That sounds fair.

Yeah ....

I also noticed that no one responded to my notice that he can still do the high notes in the video I linked.

Oh well, enjoy the jon-bashing...

No, I am not his attorney, I'm not even that big a fan of his. My favorite singer is Robert Plant, who has his own list of issues. And guess what? Plant does not do the high note in "Stairway to Heaven" any more. Actually, he would sing it live without the high note you hear on the album.

Just chalk it to me being an old guy. I was born 2 years later than Jon.