Bridging early/Late

Rate this topic

gilad

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yep... but I want to sound like Del Monaco. I don't wanna give up my chest... hahaha

I'll gladly settle for Ben Hepner, but I think I have more in common with Gedda.

hahaha

Now, that was funny. I know, I guess you had to be there.

Trainning of passagio has nothing to do with how someone will sound or with genre specifics. Its a coordination development step. Definition of chest and head resonances under the singer control is also not optional, yes its one voice, your voice. Chest and head does not refer to larynx coordinations, but sensations used to train two specific and specialized postures.

The idea of mixing chest and head comes from the trainning of head resonance using falsetto, and later applying full voice. The idea of one voice, comes from trainning first emission and chest resonance, and later developing head placement.

Either way the goal is that the singer control all this, and knows the place where the shift must happen to be more efficient and retain vowel definition, legatto and comfort.

Many ways to skin a cat, surely, but we need all the skin, and we still need to make some cloths with it. The methods may differ, but either the result is the same, or its wrong.

gilad,

this is exactly the video to drive home what i have been saying (but maybe not explaining it well enough).

you see here what i'm trying to get across about not having to lighten anything or how not to worry about pulling chest when the vowel is narrow:

I've been saying PITCH VOWEL AND INTENSITY for a long time guys. It's very simple when you think of it like this.

You adjust your singing by these 3 things. You can't adjust by saying I'm going to use my TA 1/3 more on this note or a 1/4 more on this one. You could say if i sing louder with more intensity on this note, on this vowel it will activate more adducting muscles.(TA,IA.).

I know you love your mantra Daniel, and the more I learn of singing the more I find it becomes true. However, don't you think your mantra should include support or is that included in your way of thinking intensity?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

A new video on this topic. You should understand and train both early and late bridging techniques and anyone that wants you to believe that one is better then the other either has an agenda, or is just not explaining things adequately. This video will clarify the confusion once and for all.

• Administrator

Glad you like it Gil... told you I wouldn't let you down... I just need time to get around to getting stuff done... its a HUGE operation and Im only one man... hope you like the new "Foundation Building Routine" production as well... Attention all TVS students... if you have purchased Pillars... please contact me so I can give you a new and improved, "TVS Warm Up & Foundation Building Routine", 45 minute video.

• Administrator

Geran,

AS the person that made the phonation, it is not the same. Certainly didn't feel the same and it doesn't sound the same to my ears. Probably my "early bridging" sample was a bit too heavy on mass actually, I would of liked it to of been more floaty, but its ok...

I find your post to be contradictory or confusing... on one hand you try to assign vocal mode classifications from another voice school that are different and are out of context to what Im demonstrating, then you say its the same, and then you give time stamps that are referring to two different examples again... so Its not very clear what your saying... I'm not making a lecture about vocal modes... it is about the use of musculature. But thanks for your post, it is kinda interesting, but still kinda confusing.

BTW... you avatar is sideways, you may want to fix that...

excellent video rob...

may i just say that there can even be a more significant tonal difference between the two methods (early vs. late) than your vocal examples indicate in this video....

bridging late with a lower larynx (not low, but lower) will invite more lower harmonics and make the sound even more powerful when accompanied by more support.

• Administrator

Hey Geran, I listened to your sound samples... very interesting... and yet, again, vocal modes is not what this video is intending to demonstrate. So, while its an interesting observation to be sure... and I enjoyed your samples... discussions about vocal modes is not really what this is about. Its really about the amount of musculature 'pull' you take into M2, irrespective of the mode you are in when you get there... but cool samples.

Kinda thought having an open forum was the right thing to do, but anymore, it just means your taken advantage of and its just bad business...

I totally understand where you're coming. There are certain times in life where it's better to do the smart thing rather than what we believe is the "right" thing, and that's not to suggest that limiting what's discussed here would be "wrong" per se.

I'm all for the concept of "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours", but when it's not reciprocated, you have to draw the line. You can't promote others at the expense of your own livelihood. Business is business.

• Administrator

Maybe we can have a forum section only dedicated to people interested in TVS and where questions and discussions have to be about TVS?

Thanks Rach, but I don't think so... that seems too controlling or something... I don't want to come off looking like I get special privileges or something.

• Administrator

I agree that there could have been more contrast between the early and late demonstrations. The top and bottom sounded heavier on the second one but the middle was about the same on both. But I think the thorough explanation makes up for it. Where you bridge is very much more of a feel thing than a sound thing (what sounds like bridging early could be that person actually bridging late and vice versa, depending on the natural weight of their voice), so I think it's more important that students understand how each approach is going to feel inside their larynx. Also the lift up pull back lecture will certainly have plenty more examples of super early bridging, to further clarify that sound.

Agreed Owen, Like I said, I would of liked my light mass example to of been more floaty and light... but I think I did this take about 15 times to get it right, it was late, I was tired and other then the mass, the phonations sounded pretty solid, so I figured, its good enough for the least common denominator on YouTube. Only you guys would pick that up.. the average Joe on YouTube would not notice that.

Sometimes I think we get too caught up and nit picky when someone is demonstrating an idea. We look past the main point and point out some detail that has nothing to do with the point being made. But that is also what sets this forum apart from others. We can pick up on the smaller details that for a beginner would also cause more confusion.

There are people here who are versed in many different programs sometimes they do get carried away in trying to find the common denominators between the programs or in reexplaining the concept using terms from a different method possibly to help themselves better understand the concept being proposed.

• Administrator

YA, THATS kinda how I feel sometimes... nit picked for dumb things or even things that are not even related, in return for posting a decent, educational piece of content... it gets old after a while... especially when very few others, even your colleagues even dare to do the same...

and your right Owen, I need to beef up the TVS Forum... thats why its now in my sig. Please come join if your interested.. it has social sign on and is REAL easy to get in...

you folks somehow insist on associating lightening the voice with a corresponding increase in range and that simply is not true.

Scale: A B C D E F G A

Early: 888765432111111111

Late: 999999987654322222

are you saying you cannot have this (as an example)?

no lightening:

• Administrator

Rob, I think you are not realizing the business value this forum is bringing back to you...I think it is helping all vocal methods fairly equally in selling their products, but actually, more than anything, I see people coming here and ending up buying a copy of pillars. Sounds like you are just having a bad day, I forgive you Rob, you work hard.

It is still a mystery to me though why there isn't more traffic in the TVS forum. I know personally for me I just prefer the openness of things here, the discussion of vocal technique as a whole, not TVS technique. That's my personal reason for only being a member here but judging by the success of the KTVA and CVT forums there must be equal hope for the TVS forum too?

I don't like Rachsing's idea of a TVS section in here...cause then to be fair there would need to be a section for each method and that would just tear this thing apart...or you could make it unfair and throw in a TVS section but then, inevitably, outside of that TVS section there would be less of a TVS presence so it would get less exposure in a way.

I'd hate to see this forum go because it's benefiting the ENTIRE VOCAL COMMUNITY. Rob, isn't that what you really want to do? Every vocal teacher, deep down, just wants to give this world better singing, better vocal technique, no? So even though this forum may not be the slickest business strategy for TVS specifically, I think in terms of giving a gift to the world of singers it is really something to be proud of. And it just so happens to also get you more students. It really does. And the fact that you actually do the work to promote your method here and the other methods make zero effort on that automatically puts you at an advantage.

Rob let me remind you that without this forum I probably would not have become a TVS student...I really got to see the good side of TVS methodology and your teaching style through the time I spent lurking this forum years ago.

Ya, Ill be honest with you guys... Im tired... I've been working like Tesla... I need a break...