Singing high notes quietly

Rate this topic

guitar67

Can anybody give me some tips on how to sing high notes quietly? I have a pretty typical baritone voice but whenever I go past a D4 I can't help but start belting out the notes much louder than necessary. It's not a range problem, I'm sure - I can get up to an A4. But does this have something to do with vocal weight?

An example of the sound I'm going for is anything by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Anthony Kiedis can always seem to make his higher notes sound just as quiet and relaxed as his low notes. Whenever I go up high it gets really loud and I feel pretty tense as well. Any tips?

Okay, thanks for the help, I'll give that a try. But Anthony Kiedis' high notes don't sound like head voice. It definitely sounds like chest voice to me. Is there any way I can get the same effect, but with chest voice?

great video dan.

you make it look so easy.

a suggestion i would like to add is be aware of the onset...start light to end light. don't onset too heavy or you'll lock up, or have too much weight to shed on the way up. singing light and consistently connected throughout is not easy, especially if you have a big voice, or a "sing heavy" mentality in place.

you have to "mentally lighten" as well. support is required to control your exhalation.

another thing to keep in mind when you practise softly which can really throw you off is the room's acoustics. a really dead room, (with wall-to-wall carpeting, drapes, bed spreads) can really throw you off as opposed to a more live room....high celiings, hardwood floors, reflective items.

Sure. Check out this song at 1:03 when the chorus starts. I can sing the first part "Tell me baby whats your story" just fine, but when he goes up to "where you come from

and where you wanna go..." I can't help but practically yell it out. My jaw gets really tense too. But Anthony sings it just fine, he's not exactly "quiet" about it, but he certainly isn't yelling it like I am.

great video dan.

you make it look so easy.

a suggestion i would like to add is be aware of the onset...start light to end light. don't onset too heavy or you'll lock up, or have too much weight to shed on the way up. singing light and consistently connected throughout is not easy, especially if you have a big voice, or a "sing heavy" mentality in place.

you have to "mentally lighten" as well. support is required to control your exhalation.

another thing to keep in mind when you practise softly which can really throw you off is the room's acoustics. a really dead room, (with wall-to-wall carpeting, drapes, bed spreads) can really throw you off as opposed to a more live room....high celiings, hardwood floors, reflective items.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

this is no big deal.

here's what i want you to do, to get in that part of the voice.

replace the lyrics with the sound "wee" or "wuh."

don't sing the words, sing every word and syllable using "wee." don't squeeze!

keep the mouth from spreading!

"tell me baby, what's your story."

i counted 8 "wee's"

"wee" "wee" "wee" "wee" (quick breath) "wee" "wee" "wee" "wee." sing these just like you would sing the words.

see if that doesn't help.

I gave it a try today. Using the suggestions I got here I was able to control my volume a LOT better. VIDEOHERE's "wee" exercise really helped a ton. I'm still not 100% there, but I'll keep working at it. I definitely feel like I'm heading in the right direction now. Thanks for the help everyone!

Let me add that bunch of months alone is not the solution, by itself. I have sung for a long time, and probably a lot of it the wrong way. And since being in this forum almost 3 years, I have improved in that time, as well.

It's not how long you have sung, it's not how long you sing in a given session, it is how you sing that is important.

Focus.